• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

YP Oyster card

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I made two bus journeys round about 5am. In the late afternoon, I made a Z1 - Z1 LUL journey, a further bus journey then a Z1 - Z4 LUL journey. All in all, this cost me £6.55 and eventually went into the red by 35p (I had £6.20 to begin with.) I ended up in Morden where all the ticket machines had been disabled and the ticket office shut making it impossible to top up.

The card is supposed to cap at £5. As long as I've lived in London I've understood that Off Peak Travelcards are valid on buses 24 hours a day and not just after 09:30. So why did my card not cap at £5, or even £6.30?


 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
The YP discount is still time restricted, even if the ticket is not - AFAIK.
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
I made two bus journeys round about 5am. In the late afternoon, I made a Z1 - Z1 LUL journey, a further bus journey then a Z1 - Z4 LUL journey. All in all, this cost me £6.55 and eventually went into the red by 35p (I had £6.20 to begin with.) I ended up in Morden where all the ticket machines had been disabled and the ticket office shut making it impossible to top up.

The card is supposed to cap at £5. As long as I've lived in London I've understood that Off Peak Travelcards are valid on buses 24 hours a day and not just after 09:30. So why did my card not cap at £5, or even £6.30?


I don't think you can use an Off Peak Travelcard in the peak at all, even on a bus, and the Oyster cap will reflect that. There are however no peak *single* fares on buses, just a flat rate throughout the day, although on the tube peak rates apply to single fares, and the One Day Bus and Tram Pass is the same cost all day - might that be what you were thinking of?
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,024
Your 2 bus journeys were in peak times, so it is likely that the peak daily cap applies. The Railcard discounted cap only applies to off-peak journeys.

peak is 04:30-09:29 on weekdays.

If you catch a bus in peak hours, then other types of transport in off-peak hours, you'll be charged a peak cap.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14837.aspx
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Ok fair enough, that would explain it. I haven't bought a paper TC, or paid to catch a bus for several years. Even before then I got the green £4 weekly bus passes so peak/off peak was something I've never needed to consider where buses are concerned. Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top