• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your experiences of helping customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,462
Location
Yorkshire
Here is an opportunity for people to give examples of how they unexpectedly helped customers on their journeys.

I had two today.

The first was really simple; a lady was looking for a power socket on an all stations Northern 323 at Manchester Airport; I suspect she'd just arrived back after a flight. I established she was going to Piccadilly and had an interavailable ticket, so advised her that a non-stop train in the next platform had power sockets. She hadn't realised the other train was quicker, so she got a quicker journey as well as power to her device.

The other one saved a customer an hours' wait at Church Fenton; the Guard as far as Leeds had told the customer he'd make the connection. I said it was risky and advised alighting at Garforth. The customer got off at Garforth and is scheduled to arrive into Hull only 5 minutes after the booked arrival time. The customer won't know this, but the gamble of staying on would not have paid off; the time our doors unlocked was the exact second the doors locked on the other train. It wasn't cross-platform either (it would be in the other direction). He was worried about his Advance ticket, but I pointed out the delay meant the minimum connection time would not have been met, thus validating changing at Garforth instead of Church Fenton.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,548
I was on a GWR 387 from Paddington to Twyford on Monday.

A family from overseas - with luggage - got on at Slough and the father was agitatedly looking for his booked seats in coach C.

I explained that the train didn't have reserved seats. He showed me his tickets and reservation coupon and established he had a reservation on their connecting IET from Reading, and was able to reassure him all was well, he could sit anywhere on the current train and would find his seats once he got to Reading.
 

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
Today at Totnes, an American lady was confused about which train was going to Plymouth, as the next one's destination was Penzance, so I clarified and made sure she got on the train.

The other week I helped a couple of visually impaired people with kids onto a train and ensured they got seats as no assistance in sight despite being booked.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
I was stood waiting for the 18:13 Euston to Manchester to board on Friday evening.

A bloke wanders over and asks "is this the Victoria train?"

I looked down at his phone and saw that he wanted the Victoria Line. He was sent in the right direction with additional instructions about changing onto another Underground line later in his journey :lol:
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
I was stood waiting for the 18:13 Euston to Manchester to board on Friday evening.

A bloke wanders over and asks "is this the Victoria train?"
Nice one! Been a long time since you could get a train direct to (Manchester) Victoria from London Euston. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top