• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your experience the last time you travelled by train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
To try to get an idea of what rail travel is like in the UK these days, what was good or bad about the last train journey you made?

My last trip was on 14 July on the 2014 from Swansea to Pembrey and Burry Port. The train was 16 minutes late, on a day where there was a lot of late running. The train was a pair of 153s which had worked from Wilmslow , with a 150 added at Swansea. The train was not crowded, and was fairly clean internally. Information systems were working but announcements were inaudible above the engine noise. There were some rowdy passengers nearby making quite a noise.

Overall mark around 6 out of 10.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
Joined
13 Apr 2022
Messages
2,132
Location
Selhurst
The morning peak train from Selhurst to Sutton was alot busier because of the overtime bans but I was luckily able to secure a seat before the crowds at West Croydon. Other than that, all has run like clockwork and my return journey was effectively identical.

Solid 8/10
 

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
Today!

67017 and HD05 from Ludlow to Hereford, train left 2 minutes late arrived bang on time. Train was clean and all working perfectly well, customer service was good, with clear announcements, but tickets were not checked.
Train was well loaded no standees.
9/10 for me, shows how good TfW can be!
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,805
Saltaire to Hebden Bridge 9 days ago

18:07 Saltaire to Bradford cancelled, had to get the 18:37 and go via Leeds (which cost more).

Arrived 25 late

All screens at Saltaire out of action, no announcements, people relying on their phones for information

TVMs at Saltaire completely dead

The trains I actually caught were on time and clean

3/10
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,679
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Today. Aylesbury Vale Parkway to Marylebone and back. Much nicer than a non overtime ban day, with both trains longer than normal and loadings lower. Nice 168 on the way back. All in all pleasant enough. Used an e-ticket which didn't open the gate on the way back for no reason I can discern, but I was waved through with barely a glance.

BLY may be my local but I'm quite liking the civility of travelling to London on a country branch line at the minute.
 
Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Return commute Durham - Newcastle today, 18/07/23. Out 08:21, return 16:26. Both LNER Azumas. Monthly season ticket.

Trains more or less on time both ways (we left Durham 1 minutes late, but I didn't closely check arrival times at either). Enough space for me to sit on my own in a pair of seats, in both directions.

Train comfortable, no issues, 10/10. It's not always like that of course but that description probably fits 75% of my commuting days (though it would have been 95% before 2020).

But to show how it can vary - for the way home the two services (both TPE) before my intended one had been cancelled, so had I planned to use those I'd have arrived home a good 20-45 minutes late.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Chorley to Sheffield on Saturday around 1630. Only available covered waiting area on the Manchester bound platform was tiny (waiting room locked) so most people had to cower against the wall to try, unsuccesfully, and get out of the wind and rain.

Train to Manchester Oxford Rd was on time and 6 carriages. Comfortably loaded.

Using a PayPoint bought TfGM Wayfarer which won't work the gates at Oxford Rd so had to wait whilst the lone attendant spent ages scrolling through someone's phone to find their tickets. Coming back after buying refreshments the same attendent was doing the phone scrolling thing again but taking even longer with no end I sight so I had to take 'creative' action to avoid missing the train.

Train to Sheffield on time and 4 carriages. Again comfortably loaded.

Trains 9/10

Stations 2/10
 
Last edited:

ian jones

New Member
Joined
15 Sep 2019
Messages
4
Location
LEEDS
18th July Today (1V56 0748 Glasgow Central to Plymouth) Cross country from York to Leeds. The 4 car train was almost full on departure with a lot of hefty luggage on board.
The service was on time and I managed to get a seat. If there had been no seat I would have de-boarded and waited for the next TPE. There was trash on the fold down shelf from a previous passenger. There was a trolly service which rolled through with a cheery smile. Overall a pleasant short trip.

Normally I would get a Northern service for this journey because its about 1/2 the price and there is always plenty of room, but today was for work, so I got a standard day return.
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,606
Travelling back home today after being in the office the 1 day a fortnight I'm doing there. Meant to get the bus but two separate services were cancelled so train it was.

18.21 from Keynsham to Bristol Temple Meads. Only an 8 minute journey, on time, only two carriages but not too busy (standing room only but not uncomfortable - it would have been three or four carriages before GWR's latest rolling stock issues).

Pretty standard for this kind of journey really, and not too expensive thanks to GWR's payg smart card pricing.
 
Last edited:

bahnause

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
1,039
Location
bülach (switzerland)
Yesterday: 15:57 Swansea - Saundersfoot. Left 24 late, arrived 30 late. Full and standing, lots of luggage everywhere. A single 153, very tight legroom.
 

Msq71423

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
96
Location
North West
Barnsley to Filey on Sunday late afternoon.

First leg Barnsley to Leeds fine
Second leg TPE to York ran a few minutes late, so missed the connection by a minute, leading to an hour wait at York.
Third leg to Seamer fine other than being later than planner
During this leg the final train Seamer to Filey cancelled which would have resulted in a 90 minute wait on a quiet rural platform for the final train of the day. I got a taxi instead.
Didn't see a single conductor on any of the trains.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Friday 14.
0850 Shipley to Kings Cross. 6 late arriving owing to (1) the XC HST being a little late at Wakefield and (2) using the down fast in the St Neots area.
Usual Azuma ride quality issues; train fairly busy in 1st, service good.
1301 St Pancras to Brussels - slightly late leaving UK, no obvious reason. Full in 2nd and a 373 which felt very claustrophobic :(
 

JBuchananGB

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2017
Messages
1,405
Location
Southport
Last Thursday from Ashton-under-Lyne to Southport on the 17.55. Class 769 train. Relaxed into the declassified 1st class seat at the front of the train, and sat comfortably there until ontime arrival at 19.25 at Southport.
 

Mzzzs

Member
Joined
14 May 2022
Messages
279
Location
London<->Nottingham
spontaneous trip to swr land.

Lnd to Salisbury on 159. on time clean and comfortable but annoyed no plugs on them. loaded very well 6 carriages.
Salisbury to Southhampton same but on unrefreshed 158 it was still good bit dirty train.
Southhampton to Bournemouth. 444 incredible train clean fast efficient.
Bournemouth to ldn same as before and people were actually quiet in the quiet area.

overall 9/10 would be nice to get some catering on the train.
 

ivorytoast28

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2018
Messages
256
Location
Sheffield
My last UK trip was supposed to be a Thameslink train to meet the Eurostar overnight but all trains were cancelled due to heat around this time last year. I got a short one from Gatwick to London bridge. Lot's of confused customers being dumped at london bridge at 2am not knowing where to go. I took the bus to st pancras and got the Eurostar out and haven't returned since. I definitely miss train journeys in general as I now live somewhere without trains but reading the news and this forum makes me sad realising the whole thing looks totally unreliable and big old mess with the strikes and creaking system. A shame really as nothing beat a good ol train journey when I grew up in the UK
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,246
Guildford to Liphook.
Stinking hot day, long shift, 20 minute walk in the blazing sun from the station to the railway station.

Trains delayed. Then pushed back more. And more. And more.

Gave me a chance to sort out some incident reports while waiting for the train - glad I brought my tablet on shift.

One guy constantly asking me questions about train times and platforms, despite my frequent protests that I was not rail staff and to ask someone else. Enough that some of the other passengers on the platform were suggesting he back off and find someone that actually worked there.

Crowded roasting train. Lots got off at Godalming which made it a bit more comfortable.

Got a couple of quid back from delay repay.


Previous to that? Or a recent one that stuck in my mind?
Farnborough North to Liphook. 50 minutes wait, in short sleeves, with a little bit of rain. Got stuck for a while - wanted to go to a local shop to get something to eat/drink, and an excuse to stretch my legs. Took quite a bit of effort to get the crossing gate open. Found out later that it is locked/unlocked by the crossing keeper, and I wasn't trying to cross at an expected time, I guess. Quite a while sat at Guildford for the connection.


I seem to have gained a skill for traveling on bad weather days, and picking up shifts on strike days!
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,640
Location
Greater Manchester
Travelled to Stockport and back on Saturday, my 1st (2 car instead of 3), 2nd (3 car instead of 6), and 6th (2 car instead of 4) train were all short forms.
2 times I had to re-plan due to a cancellation, once a few days before, and once on short notice in Piccadilly. (both of which took me round the Ordsall Chord)
RTT (and other data feeds) suffered an issue while I was out, which made some parts a bit more annoying.

My 2nd train (as mentioned above) was a short form 3 car, the other 185 that was coupled to it had been detached at York, making it late, which meant by the time it got to me in Victoria it was already 12 minutes late, it got us to Piccadilly 14 minutes late (after having to sit in Deansgate a bit). However with a quick walk we made the connection to the stopping train that would let me tick off Levenshulme and Heaton Chapel as Stopped At.

Oddly my 3rd train was a long form, a double 331 instead of a single, I guess it helped that a Manchester Airport - Blackpool was missing due to staff issues, it was incredibly quiet leaving Piccadilly, but a decently high number of people got on at the two intermediate stops, nowhere near enough to make it busy, but more than I expected.

My 4th train was one of TfW's EX-GC MK4 sets, which were much better than I expected, and despite it being busy, we found seats, my parents (travelling with me) both rated the train very highly. (personally I like Avanti's new seats better, since they're taller)
The train was quite busy which makes me realise how much that line needs the 2+3 197s (probably didn't help that a really packed single 150 was running an hour before it).

I enjoy train travel, and being around trains can have the same time-skipping effect as playing a game that totally takes your mind into it.
Our purposeful 1:20 wait at Stockport (for the MK4) felt incredibly quick to me, as there was an almost constant flow of trains to see (And video)
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,402
Location
The Fens
Thursday 13th Cambridge to St Pancras and return.

Started with the usual excellent service at the Cambridge ticket office. 4 windows open, short queue, served quickly, pleasant short conversation with real person.

The ticket barriers were open, unusual at Cambridge at this time of day.

Long trek from the ticket office to the train, 0953 to Brighton, which goes from platform 7. The train was litter picked and toilets refreshed before departure.

Train gradually filled up to about 60% seats occupied in my carriage after Stevenage. PIS working including all the usual details of loadings (all 12 cars green), toilet occupation and Underground train running. Used a toilet which was fully functioning and clean apart from the usual graffiti remnants.

Lots of people got off at St Pancras escalators busy but all working.

Return journey not so good on 1444 ex Brighton.

Advertised departure was 1601 from St Pancras but when I arrived train shown 10 minutes late. This was a mixed blessing. It gave me time to get tea and cake from Benugo: the cake was nice but the tea was disgusting.

Down escalator from the middle level to the northbound platform was not working so I had to carry tea and cake down the stairs.

Train eventually arrived at St Pancras 14 minutes late. By this time the next Cambridge was also showing on the departure screen.... and it was cancelled!

Loading about the same as in the morning.

Given the fast line Woolmer Green to Hitchin South allowing us to overtake the stopper at Stevenage that we should have preceded through the 2 track section. As a result the train got a clear run across the branch and only 4 minutes late into Cambridge.

The train was clean. I didn't use the toilet.

Arrived in platform 1 so not so far to walk to the exit, barriers working this time.

And a good view of the construction work at Cambridge South.
 
Last edited:

satisnek

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2014
Messages
1,097
Location
Kidderminster/Mercia Marina
Last Saturday, at the end of my holiday on the boat. I was just a little too late to make the 1517 from Willington so decided to splash out £2 for the bus into Burton and caught an 'XC-lite' service into Birmingham from there. No issues.

At New Street I hopped on a Wolverhampton local to Smethwick Galton Bridge. This departed a few minutes late and upon alighting I found the lift out of order so had to lug my holdall up 60 steps then down to the Kidderminster-bound platform. Not a problem because it reduced my waiting time to a very convenient couple of minutes before the next Kidderminster train rolled in. Once again, the journey had no issues.

Good job it wasn't next Saturday....
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
To try to get an idea of what rail travel is like in the UK these days, what was good or bad about the last train journey you made?
Below is my experience from York to Hebden Bridge last Thursday.

The outward journey saw the 1623 cancelled; I got the 1620 TPE and changed at Leeds. The 1620 had very few passengers in the leading unit; many prospective TPE passengers have no doubt given up. We were held just outside Leeds and so the 1643 had already gone, as booked. The next train at 1712 was a 2-car 195; with no train towards Hebden Bridge for 29 minutes it was uncomfortably full and standing. Automated announcements made threats about penalty fares for having the wrong ticket and there was no apology for the cancellation. Fortunately I got a single seat next to the drivers cab; unlike my previous journey on this route I didn't get evicted by the Guard and tape didn't get wrapped around the armrest, though there was evidence of this having been done previously on the armrest. I got to Hebden Bridge about 2 hours after leaving work.

The return journey wasn't good either; I saw a huge gap in trains and it wasn't mentioned that any sort of ticket acceptance was in place, so I felt compelled to leave the event early in order to get the 2126 train to Leeds in time for the 2235 bus from there to York (due to take about 90 minutes); there wasn't a good connection onto it. Live departure boards said to go to the station entrance; screens there said to go back to the footbridge. I asked staff about getting to York and they said ticket acceptance was in place with TPE (I had a Northern Only ticket), so I could get the 2315 train, which was quicker than the bus. I therefore decided to wait. As there had been no train to York since 2215, the 2315 was full and standing, though nowhere near as packed as the train to Hebden Bridge. I did ask the Guard if acceptance was in place; she said yes but didn't come through in the end, so I'd have been fine anyway. Had I known this, I could have avoided leaving the event early. I got to York at 2353, nearly 2 and a half hours after leaving Hebden Bridge, with an hour spent at Leeds station, as the trains do not connect.

Compared to travelling in Switzerland, I'd give this experience a one out of ten. The really crazy thing is, had I paid full price for a point to point ticket, it would have cost me £22! The rail industry does appear to be desperately trying to encourage passengers to stop inconveniencing their running of the service and head for the roads instead.

And if you think £22 is bad for an Off Peak Return (SVR) for a slow trundle from York to Hebden Bridge on poor quality operators, the price of the same ticket type just to Leeds isn't any cheaper; indeed it's actually slightly higher.
 
Last edited:

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Seven GA trains today. All on time, all connections therefore worked. Friendly conductors on both East Suffolk line trains, nothing to dislike.
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,999
Location
Cambridge
Manchester Oxford Road - Salford Crescent - Manchester Victoria - Bradford Interchange - Kings Cross - Stevenage (unplanned change) - Cambridge.

156+150, 769 (ex First Class section), 195, 180, 700, 387.

All practically on time and mostly a bit busy but comfortably loaded. Took the very front "starboard" bay of four on the 180 and had it to myself throughout. Ticket check invoked mild panic as I shuffled through roughly 15 CCST and reservation coupons without finding the advance for the journey which shortly turned up in my back pocket.

All smooth until arriving at King's Cross, where my intended unofficial but manageable connection onto a King's Lynn had been cancelled (overtime ban), the world piled onto a fully loaded 700/1 bound for Peterborough which became crush loaded after an additional stop at Finsbury Park. Piled off that at Stevenage to hop onto the Cambridge-bound stopper we'd overtaken at Welwyn. And for the first time I can ever remember, I had to stand on a Cambridge local until Letchworth.

Tickets checked between Victoria and Bradford and between Bradford and London, and on entry barriers at MCO, exit and entry barriers at BDI, and exit barriers at CBG.

A three way split:
MCO-BDI £6.30
BDI-KGX £25
KGX-CBG £19.20 (with NSE discount)

The first two were advances offered as one journey by Trainsplit. I couldn't generate an itinerary to Cambridge via Bradford and King's Cross even with advanced settings, so booked the third, an Anytime Day Single, as a separate transaction.

All in all, delightful scenery, new routes for me, I consider it good value for money, interesting and varied traction and a touch of industrial action to spice it up with a splash of chaos close to home which didn't spoil a very pleasant afternoon.
 
Last edited:

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Joined
20 Mar 2019
Messages
144
Last long distance journey Liverpool South Parkway - Birmingham New Street Monday 17 th July train WMR 350 was more or less on time but it was short formed both directions so busier than usual but we did get seats
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
My last journey was a journey to an orienteering race near Penge West after work. My route used as Farringdon to Whitechapel on the modern shiny new Elizabeth line, then the "victim of its own success" London Overground East London Line afterwards. Both segments were crowded as expected in peak hours but still within capacity, and my journey home was back to Canada Water for the tube just before the line was shut for engineering work.

I would rate both my journeys 10 / 10.
 

robert thomas

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2019
Messages
347
Location
Neath
15th July 800.012 on the 08.48 Paddington-Pembroke Dock from Cardiff to Neath This is booked 10 cars Paddington-Swansea but was short formed. Arrived on time in Cardiff but extremely overcrowded. I was travelling 1st and had to wait a minute or two for some of the standard class passengers standing in first to detrain. On boarding managed to squeeze through the standees to the only vacant seat in the leading coach suffering a certain amount of abuse in the process. The train was delayed a few minutes unloading/loading. Unusually for a short formed train the catering crew actually came through and served refreshments in first class after examining the ticket of anyone asking to be served. First class was still full of standing passengers and the catering staff could'nt penetrate the second coach. Unfortunately short forming is now happening several times a day and is making travel in South Wales far less appealing.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Today. Aylesbury Vale Parkway to Marylebone and back. Much nicer than a non overtime ban day, with both trains longer than normal and loadings lower. Nice 168 on the way back. All in all pleasant enough. Used an e-ticket which didn't open the gate on the way back for no reason I can discern, but I was waved through with barely a glance.

BLY may be my local but I'm quite liking the civility of travelling to London on a country branch line at the minute.

Not ideal though putting a 168 on a Met train and no doubt various 165s used on the Oxford route where the 168's 100mph capability could be put to better use. Although often late evening trains Marylebone - Aylesbury are 168s for maintenance reasons.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,679
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Not ideal though putting a 168 on a Met train and no doubt various 165s used on the Oxford route where the 168's 100mph capability could be put to better use. Although often late evening trains Marylebone - Aylesbury are 168s for maintenance reasons.

Yes, it's normally done to get them to/from Aylesbury depot. This will I expect happen a lot more when the Risborough line is closed for HS2 work later this year.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,111
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Apart from local hops in the Calder Valley, my last train journey of any length was a week ago yesterday (Tuesday 11th July) on a day trip to meet a friend in Chesterfield for lunch and a couple of pints. I set off from Hebden Bridge on 2I03, 08 14 to Leeds via Dewsbury (ex-Wigan Wallgate), consisting of two Northern units, 158 782/793, which were clean - both internally and externally - and surprisingly quietly-loaded for the time of day....I was able to have a wide choice of seats in the leading vehicle, although it was full with a few standees on arrival at Leeds. The train departed from Hebden Bridge on time, but was three minutes late arriving in Leeds due to a wait at signals at Heaton Lodge Junction, caused by a late-running TPE service. My next service, from Leeds to Sheffield was 1V50, 06 06 Edinburgh-Plymouth, which departed seven minutes late at 09 18, having been delayed by late-running Northern sevices between Micklefield and Leeds. The Cross Country HST set - topped and tailed by 43 301 & 43 285 - was clean and well-presented inside and out and the TGS vehicle at the rear of the train was about half-full. Unfortunately we were unable to make up any time and the usual signal checks and stops on the congested Northern approach to Sheffield caused me to miss not only my planned 10 00 EMR connection, but also the 10 07 Northern service to Nottingham. The latter was actually held for a couple of minutes for a cross-platform connection - which quite a few passengers made successfully - but, coming from the very rear of the HST, I didn't make it to the two car 195 at the far end of the platform before the doors were closed....so I resigned myself to the 10 37 EMR departure to St Pancras (1C38), which was a five car Meridian - 222 006 - with plenty of seats available in the rear coach and the journey was punctual and uneventful for the short hop to CHD. As usual with EMR Inter-City, however, the external and internal condition of the train left quite a lot to be desired....dirty windows and worn seats.

My return journey was less eventful. 1S47, the 15 05 from CHD to LDS (ex-Plymouth) was on time and formed of five car Cross Country Voyager 221 130. It was very busy, but I managed to squeeze into a backward-facing airline window seat at the front of the leading vehicle. The journey to LDS was uneventful (I think I dropped off a couple of times, no doubt aided by the beer and the hot sunshine pouring through the window!), although we were signal-checked approaching LDS and arrived three minutes late at 16 05. I could have made the 16 12 departure to Manchester Victoria via Bradford, but chose instead to take 2I24, the 16 17 to Wigan Wallgate via Dewsbury. The four car train consisted of two very clean and tidy units - 158 843 & 910 and ran punctually throughout. I was tempted to break my journey at Dewsbury for an hour or two in the West Riding Licensed Refreshment Rooms but, shortly before arriving there, I received a text message from She Who Must Be Obeyed saying that she wanted to meet me in Hebden Bridge at 17 30....so the evening beer and food ration was consumed there instead! I would add that tickets were inspected on all five trains during the day.

Slightly O/T, but I prefer the Dewsbury route to Leeds - even though there's only one train per hour - as I find it more interesting and it enabled me to observe progress on the new Morley and White Rose Centre stations and the infrastructure changes at Batley....as well as the total lack of progress - apart from a few trees and bushes having been cut down - on the new station at Elland.
 
Last edited:

3141

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
2,122
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
4 July, an ASLEF overtime ban day, but SWR had a special timetable which worked for us. Whitchurch(Hants) to Waterloo. We could have travelled from Whitchurch with a change at Basingstoke, but if the train from Whitchurch hadn't run we'd have been late for the event we were attending in London, so we drove to Basingstoke, where there are more trains, and travelled from there. Plenty of trains when we returned. Both journeys were on time. So no problems, apart from having to make the decision not to start at Whitchurch and drive to Basingstoke instead.

I don't think that the uncertainties about whether or not one can travel, created by ongoing industrial action, will help attract and retain passengers to the railways. Top marks to SWR for setting up an alternative timetable that worked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top