• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You must sit in your reserved seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
I wonder if anyone could help me with some advice.

I traveled upon a certain open access operator in Yorkshire and encountered an issue i have not come across before. I was instructed by the guard that i MUST sit in my reserved seat or else!

Is this the correct application of the conditions of carriage? When challenged the guard responded with:

1) We are an open access operator so have our own rules
2) Advance tickets reduce flexibility particularly with regard to seating (!)
3) The train is very busy ( it wasn't at this point) followed by it will be later followed by
4) All the seats are reserved but for a very small number (they were but were not all filled)
5) Removing the ticket from an unoccupied seat and allowing someone else to sit there wasn't acceptable as "it doesn't work like that"
6) 50 walk up passengers are coming (they didn't! - how would he know?)


thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
The guard was correct, you "must" sit in your booked seat. See here. Rarely enforced of course.

Thanks I couldn't find it in the conditions of carriage

The custom and practice is that the restriction is not enforced though? I have never come across it in my time travelling.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Thanks I couldn't find it in the conditions of carriage

The custom and practice is that the restriction is not enforced though? I have never come across it in my time travelling.

Generally not for the main IC providers but I guess with GC having limited seating and services they may want to enforce it more so that walk up passengers have more chance of getting a seat so more chance of repeat custom from them.

Is my theory
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,063
Location
St Albans
Generally not for the main IC providers but I guess with GC having limited seating and services they may want to enforce it more so that walk up passengers have more chance of getting a seat so more chance of repeat custom from them.

Is my theory

Do they give you a choice of seat when booking?
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,760
Location
Nottingham
Had that been enforced on EMT on Tuesday, I would have had to make a complaint about four people who were making a huge amount of noise in contravention of the byelaw about not causing annoyance to others (me!). As it was I just moved to another coach...
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,433
Location
Yorks
Generally not for the main IC providers but I guess with GC having limited seating and services they may want to enforce it more so that walk up passengers have more chance of getting a seat so more chance of repeat custom from them.

Is my theory

Although since the moved passenger would have had a seat anyway, a walk on passenger would still have had the same number of free seats to choose from.
 

NSEFAN

Established Member
Joined
17 Jun 2007
Messages
3,518
Location
Southampton
For practical purposes, being on the right train is of much greater interest to the TOC for advance tickets, otherwise their yield management isn't effective.

That said, I have been on an XC Voyager where the seat reservation system had failed and the guard was insisting that everyone sat in their reserved whilst she laboriously printed out the reservations from her own ticket machine! Supposedly it was to minimise the chance of conflicts between passengers. Ironically she got in an argument with a passenger about how ridiculous she was being in trying to manually print an entire train's worth of reservation labels from her own machine. :lol:
 

Metrailway

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
575
Location
Birmingham/Coventry/London
Although since the moved passenger would have had a seat anyway, a walk on passenger would still have had the same number of free seats to choose from.

In theory yes but in practice no.

Many (maybe even the majority of) walk on passengers who see the reservation sign/label will leave that seat vacant and try to find an unreserved seat or stand in the vestibules.

After using West Coast and CrossCountry services regularly from Birmingham New St, I've come to the opinion that this rule should be regularly enforced on busy trains. If this is not practical, then at least charge extra for seat reservations (you can still tie advance pax to a specific train without a seat reservation).
 
Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Absolutely not, there is no "REQUIREMENT" to occupy your booked seat. You can occupy any seat that isnt already occupied or otherwise reserved as long as you are travelling on the booked service stated on your ticket, and subject to the appropriate class of accommodation you have paid for. I tell that to my passengers, as people often want to switch directions or occupy a seat with a power plug. as long as you are not removing reservation labels that are otherwise required by other passengers then there is no reason why you cannot remove your own reservation label.

Realistically, how would we enforce such a requirement? By charging for a new ticket? Theres nothing in the supplements on avantix, and i am certainly not going to enforce any such ruling. It would be far more hassle than my what my job is worth! I think common sense would prevail here, but if there are guards etc upholding such a ruling "by the letter" i think they would need to ask themselves what such action is saying about their role as responsible train managers. Such draconian enforcement does nothing for the passengers travelling environment or for the company concerned
 
Last edited:

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
For practical purposes, being on the right train is of much greater interest to the TOC for advance tickets, otherwise their yield management isn't effective.

That said, I have been on an XC Voyager where the seat reservation system had failed and the guard was insisting that everyone sat in their reserved whilst she laboriously printed out the reservations from her own ticket machine! Supposedly it was to minimise the chance of conflicts between passengers. Ironically she got in an argument with a passenger about how ridiculous she was being in trying to manually print an entire train's worth of reservation labels from her own machine. :lol:

There's a lot you could call printing out the reservations on Avantix, repetitive, paper-hungry, perhaps, but "laborious" and "ridiculous" really are pushing things a bit. It's standard practice when the reservation system doesn't work and the origin station doesn't have the facility to print reservation labels.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Generally not for the main IC providers but I guess with GC having limited seating and services they may want to enforce it more so that walk up passengers have more chance of getting a seat so more chance of repeat custom from them.

Is my theory

I rather suspected it would be HT from the info given?
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
I rather suspected it would be HT from the info given?

If it was it might have been the guard I have seen twice. Has a beard and asks for ID to be provided with print at home tix.
 

MrMole

New Member
Joined
25 Apr 2015
Messages
1
Might be reasonable if you could choose your specific seat, not just window/aisle etc. I had a reserved seat on a FGW HST and the allocated seat was 'window' but was actually one of the few that face a full blank panel between windows. Ridiculous that someone making the effort to reserve a seat in advance is allocated one of the worst seats on the train. I immediately moved to a seat where I could see out!
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
With print at home you are required to produce some sort of ID to link you with the ticket, otherwise a ticket might be repeatedly printed and possibly photoshopped. The background print should make this extremely difficult, but i have known it to happen. Often the purchasing card is enough, alternatively some sort of ID is required, and you have to indicate the ID used when you book the ticket. So to be asked for that ID is normal practice
 

suzanneparis

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2015
Messages
659
I strongly object to passengers with seat reservations not using them. Because being rather timid I am afraid to sit in a seat displaying a reserved sign. Hence I end up standing whilst the passenger with the reservation is sitting in another seat and the reserved seat ends up empty.
 

beeza1

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2012
Messages
384
Many (maybe even the majority of) walk on passengers who see the reservation sign/label will leave that seat vacant and try to find an unreserved seat or stand in the vestibules.

This is exactly what happens with the crazy 10 minute reservations policy operated by Cross Country, the original message "available but may be reserved.........." was confusing to the occasional traveller, and the new notices aren't much better. I'm amazed they haven't abandoned it, it just causes ill feeling, you are asked to vacate the seat you have occupied for, maybe 2 hours by someone who bought their ticket 10mins before boarding, surely that's not right.
As I have posted before I have seen quite a few, sometimes very heated, arguments caused by this silly system.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,296
In my opinion, the only time it would be reasonable for a TOC to enforce this would be if they allowed you to choose your own seat when booking
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
With print at home you are required to produce some sort of ID to link you with the ticket, otherwise a ticket might be repeatedly printed and possibly photoshopped. The background print should make this extremely difficult, but i have known it to happen. Often the purchasing card is enough, alternatively some sort of ID is required, and you have to indicate the ID used when you book the ticket. So to be asked for that ID is normal practice

No it isn't normal. I use VTEC and HT every week and have only been asked to show ID twice - by the same guard.
 

beeza1

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2012
Messages
384
In my opinion, the only time it would be reasonable for a TOC to enforce this would be if they allowed you to choose your own seat when booking

If you book your tickets on the Cross Country website you can choose your own seat when booking, but you still don't have to travel on your specified train, unless on an Advance ticket of course.
What I would like to see is any reserved seat that has not been "claimed" within say 10mins of leaving the station becomes "available".
 

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,349
I can see why you might be asked to take your reserved seat so as to keep as many unreserved seats available for walk-up passengers, but ideally there should be some leeway- the unit could be running in reverse formation so your facing seat is the other way round from what you booked, or you may feel uncomfortable with one of your fellow passengers.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
I strongly object to passengers with seat reservations not using them. Because being rather timid I am afraid to sit in a seat displaying a reserved sign. Hence I end up standing whilst the passenger with the reservation is sitting in another seat and the reserved seat ends up empty.

Anyone can occupy a seat out of its reserved area, just because it is reserved doesnt mean its reserved for the whole journey, you can occupy the seat until the station it is reserved from, and after the reservation destination. Plus also-and this is good practice for managing a train- where a reservation hasnt been claimed, the seat can also be occupied by anyone. A good train manager should be proactively removing reservations that arent required, indeed it is in our briefs to do so.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,099
The reason I fairly often don't sit in my reserved seat is the number of occasions I have requested a window seat with a table, only to find that, not only is my reserved seat an aisle one without a table, but there are unreserved window table seats. If TOCs want customers to sit in their reserved seats they should at least make sure that their reservation systems meet customer requirements whenever possible.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
No it isn't normal. I use VTEC and HT every week and have only been asked to show ID twice - by the same guard.

If staff are choosing not to ask for ID verification, that is down to the individual guard, however take it from a trained and operational guard that if you read the small print you are required to show supporting ID documentation which you have confirmed on your booking. So yes it is standard practice.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I've read a few posts about people wouldn't sit in a seat with a label, which interests me.
If I got on at say station C and a seat is reserved from station A to D but is clearly unoccupied I would sit in it.

Likewise if it's reserved from A to D and I got on at E I would occupy that seat, some of the posts here I've understood to mean that if they saw a label they wouldn't sit there. Maybe I'm misinterpreted those posts,
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
If TOCs want customers to sit in their reserved seats they should at least make sure that their reservation systems meet customer requirements whenever possible.

As far as TPE are concerned, the trains are reversible, so it is difficult to ascertain which way round the set will be. Plus a350 may be substituted by a 185 which has differing layouts, so TPE cannot offer a seat selection, whereas the likes of FGW, MML, VT and EC all have standard layout trains with the first class at the london end, so they can offer this option. Even then there are still a few differences in layout between a 225 and EC125 and doesnt always work!

a fault of privatisation is the differing companies favour different seating, layouts, colour schemes, even trains. The standardisation enjoyed in intercity days having long been lost!
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
If staff are choosing not to ask for ID verification, that is down to the individual guard, however take it from a trained and operational guard that if you read the small print you are required to show supporting ID documentation which you have confirmed on your booking. So yes it is standard practice.

I was referring to the standard practice of the trains I travel on and , yes, I know what the T&Cs say.
The original point I was referring to was the guard who asked the OP to sit only in their reserved seat. Something the guard who asked for my ID also announced so I suggested it might be the same person.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
What if the guard tells you you must move to your reserved seat but the reason you're not sat there is because someone else is? There were seats elsewhere and you thought it silly to makw the fuss. Is the guard then going to create all that exta work for themselves, and to no discernable benefit?
 

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,349
Or equally, when your reserved seat turns out to be a priority seat which you don't particularly need but somebody else might (this has happened to me, but I can't remember which stock it was on).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top