Hi All,
I was on the tour so managed to get a bit of info from the staff on board, how accurate that was I don't know, but this is what we were told.
A WCRC class 47 was meant to have been the diesel on the back for the tour, but this had brake problems at Crewe when bringing the stock out so was replaced with 57313 which we were told caused the 3 hour delay.
As stated by DarloRich route the line was allegedly closed by the police at Dewsbury due to trespass and shortly after we were told by the crew on the train that the 44871's loco brake had failed, however they had a spare and somehow fitted this in about 20 minutes. How accurate that was I'm not entirely sure, but we did get moving eventually again and arrived at York at approx 17.15. We were advised the train would return, with steam at 18.57.
The 57 was moved to the rear of the train, 44871 turned around on the triangle but as it approached the train to couple up, for reasons never explained it ran past on the next line.
Eventually 57313 was put back on the front and that took the train back to Liverpool, leaving York at around 19.30 arriving at Lime Street approx 2 hours late at 22.30.
I can only assume 44871 will have made its way back from York to Bury today sometime!
Cheers
buses7675