I occasionally have to travel from York to London KX - sometimes having to arrive fairly early in London (10.03 is the direct one, and 10.05 when changing at Peterborough and using FCC), and sometimes I'm almost entirely flexible. These are almost always on weekdays. I often don't know early enough to buy advance tickets - obviously, I try these when I can.
For comparison:
Off-peak return (Grand Central): £87.50
Super Off Peak Return (any operator): £98
Off-peak return (any operator): £154
Anytime return: £249
What I've found to be the cheapest way to do this (for the earlier time), with a bit of annoying changing is:
Anytime return to Peterborough + FCC off-peak return from Peterborough to King's Cross: £94.50 + £26 = £120.50 (arriving 10.05)
and, when more flexible, using off-peak returns using the same route, which comes to £61.40 + £26 = £87.40.
Does anyone know a better value option than this, in either case? I'm happy to put up with slightly longer journey times, so long as I can get there at about 10. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
For comparison:
Off-peak return (Grand Central): £87.50
Super Off Peak Return (any operator): £98
Off-peak return (any operator): £154
Anytime return: £249
What I've found to be the cheapest way to do this (for the earlier time), with a bit of annoying changing is:
Anytime return to Peterborough + FCC off-peak return from Peterborough to King's Cross: £94.50 + £26 = £120.50 (arriving 10.05)
and, when more flexible, using off-peak returns using the same route, which comes to £61.40 + £26 = £87.40.
Does anyone know a better value option than this, in either case? I'm happy to put up with slightly longer journey times, so long as I can get there at about 10. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.