• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Blackpool Nth disruption 16/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Was on the 08.09 service yesterday from York - Blackpool North, which got into Blackpool one and a half hours late. The first delay was due to a set swap at York with the original 158 being taken out of use due to a problem, the second delay due to waiting for a TPE and XC fast service to pass at Church Fenton, and the third delay due to cable theft in the Hebden Bridge area.

Just wondering if I sent my ticket in to Northern, how much am I likely to get back as compensation? I have a feeling that they may try to say that the cable theft was out of their hands and so not refund some of the money. I was travelling with a Off peak Day Return at £19.80 route Burnley with a railcard. I'm expecting at most I'd get half of this back as the return journey only had a slight delay.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
That's what I thought, although as I've never had to claim from Northern before, I was wondering if they are likely to say no as the cable theft would be out of their hands?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
The NCoC gives them the right to say no for things like cable theft but TOCs can give you more than the NCoC minimum, and Northern giving you 50% of the fare for an hour or more is certainly more than the minimum. It's worth asking.
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
If they don't give you Rail Travel Vouchers they may well send you a "Northern Rail Complimentary Travel Voucher" which is a 1 day rover for all of Northern.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Sent off the letter today, so hopefully will have a reply by the end of next week. From the looks of it, the free day travel on Northern sounds better than the rail warrants - would make a good day out with that.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Unfortunately no 1 day free travel on Northern, but £10 in travel vouchers, so I'm up by a total of 10p. Will pay for a trip to Dewsbury on Friday
 

D6700

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2010
Messages
758
Unfortunately no 1 day free travel on Northern, but £10 in travel vouchers, so I'm up by a total of 10p. Will pay for a trip to Dewsbury on Friday

Glad to see that some TOC's still do the sensible thing of rounding things up.

East Coast, on the other hand, give you the exact value - and even round that down to the nearest penny. Right now, I've got a voucher for £21.85 and had one a few months ago that ended in 2p! Because all fares end in a 0 or a 5, they don't put coppers in the tills, which caused a small farce at York ticket office when I used the voucher...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top