• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC planned trip Fri 15th May - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

winks

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2009
Messages
626
I have a planned trip on XC Basingstoke to Man Picc this Friday. I will be travelling on an Advance Single ticket but was unable to upgrade using Seatfrog, couple of questions please:-

  1. Best way to upgrade on the day and cheapest way for 1st class ?
  2. Can I check now whether the train is a refurbished Voyager unit
  3. thanks ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,218
Location
WCML N
Why no Seatfrog upgrade? I can only assume there's no availability, as it's normally fine.
I upgraded to 1st on Seatfrog from Tamworth to Edinburgh the other week for just 34 quid.....and that was the buy it now price. Good value compared to a £37.50 Standard Premium upgrade on Avanti from Stafford. I suspect an on-train upgrade from Basingstoke to Manchester is going to be 3 or 4 times that.
And no.....your unit almost certainly won't be allocated now. Try back on Thursday......although someone might know the stock diagrams or what normally operates on that route.
But any XC thing can turn up on the Scotland - Plymouth services.
 
Last edited:

Mainline421

Member
Joined
7 May 2013
Messages
914
Location
Aberystwyth
was unable to upgrade using Seatfrog
This is done on the day of travel. Likewise you can check if it's a refurbished set on the day of travel.

If Seatfrog is unavailable the best thing you can probably do is change it to a 1st class ticket before boarding. Unlike GWR and LNER there is no seperate onboard upgrade product available on weekdays as far as I'm aware. If it was Saturday or Sunday you could just pay around £15 onboard
 

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,218
Location
WCML N
I have just opened Seatfrog, and there are instant upgrades available on 9 services that day. I assume you're travelling in the morning, and there are upgrades available on the 05.49, 06.51, 07.50, 08.48 and 10.48.
By a process of wild guesswork, you may be on the 09.48......and Seatfrog obviously haven't been able to secure any 1st class seats for that service.
 

winks

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2009
Messages
626
Yes which is odd that the 0948 had to be the service with no availability! Not for checking though as there were no 1st class upgrades available at all since 12th April on Seatfrog
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top