• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC - Leave our train early and use another company

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Unfortunately, in the general case, it's common for information on ticket acceptance to be inconsistent or incorrect. However, there's no evidence of that happening here.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


It is very strange how a small number of people are highly sensitive about this point. When people have criticised my employers on social or in traditional media, I've considered neutrally if the criticisms have a basis or not. Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. If I thought they didn't I just ignored the criticism entirely. If I thought that they did I, knew that for the future I'd have a different perspective on the matter to help me consider the matter. It wouldn't have occurred to me to start taking it personally.
I agree. No wrongdoing here indeed the TM in this case arguably did better than what was expected. But always wise to take a neutral stance on any matter until the circumstances are established.

I don’t agree that that’s generally the case at all. The threads in disputes and prosecutions are almost all people who have tried to evade fares, and are dealt with accordingly, so views of staff on there are a little like what you’d hear of you asked criminals (or should I say other criminals) what they think of police officers! The media is inaccurate about most industries.

The disputes and prosecutions section, when read in conjunction with the IR threads, can easily give the impression that the forum gives a more sympathetic ear to fare evaders than it does to staff.
There are cases there where staff haven’t acted properly. Usually revenue staff but there have been complaints about station staff and onboard staff too. For example RPIs wrongly issuing penalty fares, ticket offices refusing to refund at point of purchase where required or wrongly telling those who abandoned journey and returned to origin that they had to pay for how far they got rather have the full refund NRCOT (national rail conditions of travel) entitles them to. So to suggest that disputes and prosecutions is only for people who’ve committed offences isn’t accurate, though granted that is a lot of what’s posted there.

I agree the mainstream media portrayal is inaccurate. But many don’t realise that so take what the mainstream media say as if it were fact. When you have thousands reading the likes of the Daily Mail with their portrayal of staff and particularly drivers as “greedy and overpaid” no wonder an increasing number of people have a negative impression. Quite why anyone would trust the Daily Mail is another matter but they do!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,560
Location
Yorkshire
And some enthusiasts will wonder why they get asked to leave railway premises rather than being allowed to take photos, and so the cycle continues. Who benefits from that?
I am not sure what you are suggesting here; are you saying enthusiasts taking photos can be asked to leave if they are heard moaning about customer service on the railway? That sounds a bit odd to me and I don't understand the relevance to this thread?
I don’t agree that that’s generally the case at all. The threads in disputes and prosecutions are almost all people who have tried to evade fares, and are dealt with accordingly, so views of staff on there are a little like what you’d hear of you asked criminals (or should I say other criminals) what they think of police officers! The media is inaccurate about most industries.
There are plenty of instances of poor advice being given to passengers, which is the point that was being made.
The disputes and prosecutions section, when read in conjunction with the IR threads, can easily give the impression that the forum gives a more sympathetic ear to fare evaders than it does to staff.
I don't think so; fare evaders are nearly always advised to settle the matter out of court (which is actually seen by some as being pro-TOC, as that's generally what TOCs want as it minimises their costs and maximises their return). This is a completely different and unrelated matter to a situation where a member of staff is "suggesting" that passengers for Wakefield and Sheffield delay their journeys and where it is (based on the original post) potentially not made clear if ticket acceptance is in place or not. It is difficult to draw comparisons between the two. However if the member of staff has done something wrong, the result would be nothing more than a word by their manager.
They would be relevant to any passengers who found it useful to be aware of the other services mentioned.
I don't think anyone is doubting that it could be useful to make passengers aware of the alternative services to Wakefield and Sheffield? The usefulness of a train to Sheffield which would result in an hour's delay is perhaps debateable but there is no harm in stating it as a possibility providing the full information is given.
It strikes me that the announcement (as described) was made to make passengers aware of alternatives, not that any particular passengers should change.
The original poster said it was being "suggested", but we don't have the exact wording. As I said above, the announcement could potentially be very helpful, depending on the wording, but if not worded clearly and effectively it could potentially result in the passenger experiencing an unexpected 61 minute delay and it's not 100% clear if their ticket would be accepted or if a delay repay claim would be accepted. We don't know exacly how it was worded and different people interpret less clear messages in different ways.
What I am saying is that it would have been possible for that TM to come up with a formulation of words that wouldn’t have been in any way inappropriate, even if ticket acceptance wasn’t in place, and even if it didn’t mention ticketing at all.
Without mentioning ticketing at all? What did you have in mind?
What comment are you after? The TM would not necessarily have been in a position to know the status of those other services. So the same point surely applies: “other services are available which you may consider using due to the overcrowding” neither implies ticketing acceptance, nor that those services are guaranteed to get you there any quicker, but it might be useful to some people. If people aren’t in a rush they might be happy to break the journey and sit around for an hour to avoid the overcrowding!
If a passenger who isn't particularly familiar with the rail industry heard “other services are available which you may consider using due to the overcrowding”, would you expect them to alight from the train and seek staff or boards, or look this up themselves? Do you think inexperienced passengers would be likely to alight with such a vague message? Would anyone who did alight be likely to be happy if they discovered the next Sheffield stopper would get them in around an hour late?
It sounds to me like they were simply being made aware of the existence of other options, no more and no less. If they add 2+2 and make 6, it’s up to them.
The original post wasn't worded that way.
How could I possibly clarify the exact wording used when I have no idea what the exact wording was!?
Indeed; we don't know what the wording was, hence this debate; I don't think you have enough information to say "It sounds to me like they were simply being made aware of the existence of other options, no more and no less" and other remarks; this is at odds with the description given in the original post.
We are all speculating based on the description in the OP.
I am keeping an open mind regarding exactly what was said; I think we all should do that. As I said above, it could have been useful but it may not have been; it's not entirely clear to me as there isn't sufficient information to be certain.
It’s possible to make an announcement regarding alternatives being available that in no way mentions ticketing, and does not imply ticketing acceptance. Indeed I would personally think that the safest course in this situation.
What did you have in mind? Also would you mention the delay being around an hour or would it be safest not to mention that either?
By whom? Many passengers will consider them interchangeable.
The rail industry itself. Yes many passengers have no idea of the potential pitfalls of simply following advice to take alternative operators or modes if it's unclear whether or not ticket acceptance is in place.
I’ve explained why the comparison is relevant. It’s an alternative which some people on the train will have tickets for, some will not (a little like Northern services, to a trainload of XC passengers).
I agree that the announcement will be applicable to some, not all, of the passengers on the train; would you say such an announcement should make this clear, or would it be best not to do so, and let passengers find out on the platform, after alighting from the train?
When making an announcement that “it may be quicker to continue your journey via London Underground” that in no way implies ticket acceptance. Yet I can easily imagine a thread on here along similar lines to this one if someone was turned away at the LU gateline: “the driver of X train told us to use the underground but our tickets weren’t valid”. I would have absolutely no hesitation in making similar announcements again.
I don't see how such an announcement is comparable to this situation, where it's allegedly "suggested" that passengers take an alternative operator for a journey that would have got them to Sheffield 61 minutes later than the train they were already on.
No, they are not deluded. The OP and follow up were clearly critical rather than neutral, as others have noted. As for staff members, they will simply stumble across threads like this where a member of staff has done something helpful, and see the overreaction to it. They are unlikely to be back.
How can you be sure it was helpful? As I said above, I am keeping an open mind because it's not clear what was said. It seems you don't know what was said either but have decided that whatever was said would have been helpful, as any ticketing matters apparently aren't part of what you'd consider helpful (and the potential delay of 61 minutes?)
Passengers with the wrong tickets are indeed routinely challenged, which is why it’s safest not to make lengthy announcements about ticketing, or even mention it at all.
And yet this routinely does happen.
It is down to individual passengers (who are generally adults, not school children) to ensure they are travelling in accordance with the Ts and Cs of their tickets, for their particular journeys.
Passengers are also entitled to follow advice regarding alternative services when disruption occurs.
As I have already pointed out, there was no need to mention the specific train which makes that person identifiable internally. That information added nothing to the topic. Surely you can understand that? Would you be happy having aspects of a your job performance discussed online on a forum in a way that made it possible for your employer to identify you?
Are you suggesting staff who make PA announcements on busy trains should have a reasonable expectation that their employer would not become aware of such announcements being made? How would staff know that no members of management were on board the train? Are you suggesting passengers are anything wrong by stating what announcement was made on a particular train?
And there we have it! Ticket acceptance was in place anyway, so all of the above negativity and criticism was for nothing. I wonder how many will come back to congratulate that guard on their announcement!
As I said above, if ticket acceptance was in place (someone is stating it was, however we don't have absolute confirmation of this, but in the absense of any conclusive evidence, let's assume that it was), why not mention that?
The moral of the story really is don’t bother to help out and say as little as possible!
In the situation described I think you'd be best either saying nothing or providing the full information.
I suppose the important thing to remember is that the vast majority of passengers “get it” and the reaction on here is not typical.
I think the vast majority of passengers for Wakefield and Sheffield would stay put, to be honest. Many would be apprehensive of alighting from the train if it wasn't made clear what the situation was regarding ticketing and/or the timing of alternative services (as applicable).

The average passenger probably wouldn't expect that following the "suggestion" would result in a delay of one hour into Sheffield; or do you think they would?
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,619
Location
Wales
Why? It seems a little dishonorable of you to actively hope that people start ignoring the requirements of their job. Don't you think that you could be doing down those who take pride in their job by repeating this very cynical line?
Going above and beyond isn't a "requirement of the job". If the result of going above and beyond is a thread where posters tear your decision making apart (even though you are vindicated in the end), I'd be reluctant to bother in future.

If you read some of the threads in disputes and prosecutions, and some of the headlines about the railway in mainstream media, I think you’d understand why some here are “anti staff”.
Most threads in Disputes and Prosecutions are cases where people have been caught bang to rights and advice is aimed towards mitigation rather than defence.

Enthusiasts are a funny bunch. Just look at the online diatribes that can surround railway preservation - those who've never so much as picked up a paint brush whinging about the work of those who give up their weekends to keep heritage traction running.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Going above and beyond isn't a "requirement of the job". If the result of going above and beyond is a thread where posters tear your decision making apart (even though you are vindicated in the end), I'd be reluctant to bother in future.
People will moan regardless. I know if I’d been in that situation I’d rather people were moaning about me going above and beyond than people moaning I’d done the bare minimum.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,560
Location
Yorkshire
Going above and beyond isn't a "requirement of the job". If the result of going above and beyond is a thread where posters tear your decision making apart (even though you are vindicated in the end), I'd be reluctant to bother in future.
But we don't know exactly what was said; as I said above if the full information was given, then this clearly would be going "above and beyond" and it's difficult to see how anyone could criticise that?

However, would it still be going "above and beyond" to suggest someone takes a service operated by a different company if that passenger was not made aware of the ticket acceptance situation and/or that the resulting delay would be around an hour?

For me, that's the key difference; depending on what was said, such an announcement could be really excellent or it could have the potential to cause a lot of upset.

As we don't know exactly what the announcement was in this instance, the debate has moved on to debating what sort of information should be provided in such circumstances.

Would you agree with me that any ticketing arrangements should be communicated and that the extent of delay this would cause should also be mentioned?
Most threads in Disputes and Prosecutions are cases where people have been caught bang to rights and advice is aimed towards mitigation rather than defence.
Most threads are indeed of that nature; those threads are in no way related to this topic though.
Enthusiasts are a funny bunch. Just look at the online diatribes that can surround railway preservation - those who've never so much as picked up a paint brush whinging about the work of those who give up their weekends to keep heritage traction running.
Would it be appropriate to say "Rail staff are a funny bunch..."?

Some enthusiasts are indeed a "funny bunch" but that goes for people in pretty much all walks of life.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
As I said above, if ticket acceptance was in place (someone is stating it was, however we don't have absolute confirmation of this, but in the absense of any conclusive evidence, let's assume that it was), why not mention that?

Well this is it, we don't know whether it was mentioned in the first place as the account given in posts #1 and #5 doesn't really give us much at all.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,560
Location
Yorkshire
Well this is it, we don't know whether it was mentioned in the first place as the account given in posts #1 and #5 doesn't really give us much at all.
Indeed but my disagreement with @43066 has moved on to debating whether or not such information should be provided (regardless of whether or not it was in this case).

I believe that if it is being "suggested" to passengers that they take an alternative Northern train, when those passengers are already on board an XC train, that any ticketing arrangements should be communicated and the length of delay should be too (around an hour in the case of Sheffield).

And I absolutely recognise that in this specific case it is not absolutely clear if such information was provided or not; if it was then that would be excellent, but if not then it is a potential cause for concern (depeding on the exact wording) in my opinion.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,619
Location
Wales
Some enthusiasts are indeed a "funny bunch" but that goes for people in pretty much all walks of life.
Somehow I doubt that narrowboating enthusiasts, wine connoisseurs or petrolheads manage to stir up quite so much vitriol as railway enthusiasts seem to find. Heaven forbid a loco owner paints his pride and joy in the "wrong" livery.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,560
Location
Yorkshire
Somehow I doubt that narrowboating enthusiasts, wine connoisseurs or petrolheads manage to stir up quite so much vitriol as railway enthusiasts seem to find. Heaven forbid a loco owner paints his pride and joy in the "wrong" livery.
I don't understand the relevance to this thread, and I don't think posts of that nature are at all common on this forum.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,908
Good grief, this forum at times. Talk about mountains out of molehills.

The TM of a heavy-loaded short-formed long-distance train was obviously just trying to exercise a bit of common sense, in inviting passengers making shorter, more local journeys to use trains that were likely to be less busy. He/she is likely thoroughly uninterested in the revenue situation and far more bothered about the train not becoming dangerously crush-loaded.

Only on here could that be seen as somehow controversial or some sort of disingenuous tactic to collect more revenue without carrying the passengers.
Remember to some the Railway will NEVER do anything right ! :)
Maybe next time instead of short forming to actually get a service to run, just cancel it outright!
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,619
Location
Wales
I don't understand the relevance to this thread, and I don't think posts of that nature are at all common on this forum.
There's about two pages here picking apart the announcement by the TM. I'm hardly the only poster on this thread to have noticed how quick enthusiasts were to jump on perceived flaws in the TM' s decisions.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
I have very little idea why this minor incident on one journey where two very simple questions were asked has blown up and become quite so divisive. I have not had time to read the whole thread but I think from what little I have read there is little point continuing at this point and so this thread is locked. The thread will be tidied up when I have time in the coming days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top