• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Industrial Action from 23rd August onwards…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 317

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2020
Messages
575
Location
Cotswolds
Anyone know what service if any will be provided? I need to get my elderly Nan from York to Cheltenham and she doesn't like to change.

Cross Countrys website has no information whatsoever and indeed the industrial action page says no industrial action is planned.

I know previously a limited service has been provided but can't remember on what routes.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2020
Messages
2,637
Location
South Staffordshire
The RMT website www.rmt.org.uk/news/members-updates/breakdown-in-industrial-relations-xc060825/?preview=true

has this ;
but maybe XC are hoping RMT call the threatened strikes off


BREAKDOWN IN INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS – CROSS COUNTRY

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you and your colleagues again for returning a splendid result in the ballot for industrial action. The union’s National Executive Committee has considered the matter and has taken the decision to call on all our Cross Country members to take the following strike action:

Members are instructed not to book on for any shifts that commence between:
  • 00.01 hours until 23.59 hours on Saturday 23rd August 2025
  • 00.01 hours until 23.59 hours on Monday 25th August 2025
Additionally, the union’s National Executive Committee has called the following industrial action short of a strike:

No electronic scanning of tickets from 00.01 hours on Sunday 24th August 2025 until further notice
 

ajp999

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2022
Messages
98
Location
Nottingham
Anyone know what service if any will be provided? I need to get my elderly Nan from York to Cheltenham and she doesn't like to change.

Cross Countrys website has no information whatsoever and indeed the industrial action page says no industrial action is planned.

I know previously a limited service has been provided but can't remember on what routes.

Thanks
I've reported the discrepancies about no industrial action planned on the CrossCountry website a number of times via the feedback page but it has not been updated.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,693
Anyone know what service if any will be provided? I need to get my elderly Nan from York to Cheltenham and she doesn't like to change.

Cross Countrys website has no information whatsoever and indeed the industrial action page says no industrial action is planned.

I know previously a limited service has been provided but can't remember on what routes.

Thanks
Previous strikes provided a reduced service on the core routes (Edinburgh - Plymouth and Manchester - Bournemouth) and where on the routes they run is dependent on engineering works.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,516
I'd even wonder if it's XC that halted the payment.
Does any other TOC pay TM/Guards rate for catering or other grades working alone in a non gangway stock.?.If not I can see why Dft might be wary as a multitude of onboard operatives in similar scenarios on DOO or Guarded trains could have a strong case to request equivalent payments in future.
 
Last edited:

mpthomson

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,384
It can also make future employment more difficult. No employer will admit to it, but as employment tribunal conclusions are public, if somebody Google's a candidate's name they will easily find tribunals, and they're much less likely to employ people who might, ahem, 'rock the boat' as they see it.
I've been in a tribunal where a claimant refused to settle out of court and the judge actually warned them that if they went through with it they'd be unlikely to ever find work in the industry again due the nature of their contributory behaviour to the dismissal. The ex-employee went through with it, and they now no longer work in our industry as a result, as the name is very distinctive and we (and others) do check for things like this.

It was worse for them as we were found aginst for a procedural fail but the financial award to them was nothing due to their behaviour and how that contributed.
 

sir_gummerz

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2018
Messages
77
Location
Bristol, UK
Anyone know what service if any will be provided? I need to get my elderly Nan from York to Cheltenham and she doesn't like to change.

Cross Countrys website has no information whatsoever and indeed the industrial action page says no industrial action is planned.

I know previously a limited service has been provided but can't remember on what routes.

Thanks
Do not bother, the absolute most that will be running will be a train evey 3-4 hours and they will be extremely busy, even a seat reservation does not guarantee you will be able to use it. Travel on another day, or take the route via London. You are guaranteed to have a horrendous trip otherwise
 

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
Does any other TOC pay TM/Guards rate for catering or other grades working alone in a non gangway stock.?.If not I can see why Dft might be wary as a multitude of onboard operatives in similar scenarios on DOO or Guarded trains could have a strong case to request equivalent payments in future.
I think you're wide off the mark here.

It's like saying I'm going to go on strike until my TOC places Sunday outside the working week, because some other TOCs have it outside.

GBR is not British Rail and is unlikely to be the harmonisation that many on here seem to think it will be.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,516
I think you're wide off the mark here.

It's like saying I'm going to go on strike until my TOC places Sunday outside the working week, because some other TOCs have it outside.
Isn’t a similar scenario essentially happening now given Northern started paying per scan so staff on several other TOCs now want a similar agreement.
 

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
Isn’t a similar scenario essentially happening now given Northern started paying per scan so staff on several other TOCs now want a similar agreement.
Every TOC has been pushing for it since scanning became a thing.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
Isn’t a similar scenario essentially happening now given Northern started paying per scan so staff on several other TOCs now want a similar agreement.
Northern was picked as a guinea pig for scanning payments by the DfT.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
Anyone know what service if any will be provided? I need to get my elderly Nan from York to Cheltenham and she doesn't like to change.

Cross Countrys website has no information whatsoever and indeed the industrial action page says no industrial action is planned.

I know previously a limited service has been provided but can't remember on what routes.

Thanks
If you can get to Leeds, National Express coaches are in the £30-£45 range depending on dep time. One change, nornally in Brum, which is straightforward enough.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,302
Location
East Midlands
Anyone know what service if any will be provided? I need to get my elderly Nan from York to Cheltenham and she doesn't like to change.

Cross Countrys website has no information whatsoever and indeed the industrial action page says no industrial action is planned.

I know previously a limited service has been provided but can't remember on what routes.

Thanks
The Cross Country website now has the following statement, indicating further details to come:

Industrial Action​

Industrial action by the RMT union on Saturday 23 and Monday 25 August will mean a significant reduction in services operating on those days. Additionally we anticipate cancellations on Sunday 24 August, with services that do run expected to be extremely busy.

We continue to assess the impact on our services over the weekend and will update this page with further information on service provision and information on alternative travel and refund options.

We recommend that all passengers check their journey before travelling with National Rail Enquiries or our Service Updates page.
Link:

If your Nan really needs to have a smooth, change free journey, via train, basically she needs to avoid these three days if at all possible. And if it's at all affordable, she should travel in 1st. Even on "normal" Cross Country days it's not always possible to get your reserved seat in Standard class, whereas there will typically be train crew in 1st (particularly at somewhere like York) who will ensure she gets her reserved seat.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
If your Nan really needs to have a smooth, change free journey, via train, basically she needs to avoid these three days if at all possible. And if it's at all affordable, she should travel in 1st. Even on "normal" Cross Country days it's not always possible to get your reserved seat in Standard class, whereas there will typically be train crew in 1st (particularly at somewhere like York) who will ensure she gets her reserved seat.

I think it would probably be advisable, if the date of travel cannot be changed, to travel via London (leaving a good gap between trains - at least an hour but ideally 90 minutes or more) and take a black cab between Euston and Paddington; this would be fairly painless unless her condition is such that she would need escorting between stations even if doing so by taxi.

I was going to suggest coach but there's no direct service, it requires two changes. Any other rail journey I can think of would be two changes.
 

Travelmonkey

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
773
Location
The Midlands
I recommend you get your Nan to book passenger assist either her ringing them or booking them on her behalf Silly thing is I have a approved passenger assit booking on the 25th as I'm going to York (or was planning too) and my passenger assist has already been confirmed. But now this info is updated the via London route is likely a better shout if possible for her. Unfortunately I'm in the Midlands.
 

Randomer

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2017
Messages
358
Does any other TOC pay TM/Guards rate for catering or other grades working alone in a non gangway stock.?.If not I can see why Dft might be wary as a multitude of onboard operatives in similar scenarios on DOO or Guarded trains could have a strong case to request equivalent payments in future.

From memory GWR pay on board catering staff a "Front Set Lead" rate when operating 5 car IETs in multiple with the guard in the rear unit. There were problems back in the beginning of IET introduction with units being locked out due to this not happening, I remember threads about it on the forum at the time.

I do wonder if LNER or Avanti have a similar arrangement.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,516
From memory GWR pay on board catering staff a "Front Set Lead" rate when operating 5 car IETs in multiple with the guard in the rear unit. There were problems back in the beginning of IET introduction with units being locked out due to this not happening, I remember threads about it on the forum at the time.

I do wonder if LNER or Avanti have a similar arrangement.
Thanks for the information.
 

Toby268

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2022
Messages
219
Location
Glasgow
From memory GWR pay on board catering staff a "Front Set Lead" rate when operating 5 car IETs in multiple with the guard in the rear unit. There were problems back in the beginning of IET introduction with units being locked out due to this not happening, I remember threads about it on the forum at the time.

I do wonder if LNER or Avanti have a similar arrangement.
Can’t speak for LNER but Avanti do not.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,302
Location
East Midlands
Strike service details have now appeared:

The stand-out detail is *no services whatsoever* on Saturday 23rd August. As far as I'm aware they have always managed at least some restricted services on the core routes in the past.
Edit: Note that as of 13:15 18th August the journey planners etc. have not been updated, this is due to happen tomorrow sometime.
Edit: The timetable for Monday is now available via the link above. And it's *very minimal*. RTT etc. still not showing updates as of 16:15

Quote:
Service Summary

Saturday 23 August
There will be no CrossCountry services operating on Saturday 23 August and passengers are strongly advised not to travel, and travel either side of the bank holiday weekend.

Online Journey Planners
Services on Saturday 23 August are expected to be removed from online journey planners by Tuesday 19 August.

Monday has a *very* limited service:
Monday 25 August
A very limited CrossCountry service will operate between 0800 and 1800, and passengers are advised to check their journey carefully and expect all services to be busy.

The full service summary Monday 25 August can be downloaded as a PDF here.

However, there will be no CrossCountry service between Birmingham, Reading and the South Coast, and no service between Leicester, Cambridge and Stansted Airport. There will only be a very limited service to the South West and north of York.

Additionally, planned engineering work in the West Midlands will also impact the CrossCountry services that do run, meaning some journeys will take longer.

Online Journey Planners
Online journey planners for Monday 25 August are expected to be updated by Tuesday 19 August.

Incidentally I love the way the complete canning of the Nottingham - Brimingham - Cardiff route doesn't merit a mention in the summary above for Monday while the other 170 route - Birmingham - Leicester - Cambridge - Stansted does.

Non-strike day Sunday is just "liable to cancellations", but that sounds like a typical Sunday anyhow.

I hope that on Saturday and Monday EMR might run 4 coach services between Nottingham and Norwich to cover the missing XC services from Peterborough to Ely; EMR should have enough spare due to the Stockport blockade.
Edit: Of course the Stockport blockade is over on 23rd August, so no large pool of spare units; I still hope they'll rustle up a couple for the busiest services.
 
Last edited:

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,958
Location
Newport
I love the way the complete canning of the Nottingham - Brimingham - Cardiff route doesn't merit a mention in the summary above for Monday
Little surprise to anyone who has had to use it. It has always been horribly obvious that it is the lowest of XC’s priorities. I would be ecstatic to see it become a TFW Cardiff - Birmingham. Dream on!
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Does any other TOC pay TM/Guards rate for catering or other grades working alone in a non gangway stock.?.If not I can see why Dft might be wary as a multitude of onboard operatives in similar scenarios on DOO or Guarded trains could have a strong case to request equivalent payments in future.

If on board crews are being expected to undertake additional duties as part of being alone in a unit - potentially assisting in emergency situations etc. it seems reasonable that that is reflected in terms of a salary uplift (and note paying uplift pay to catering staff will be cheaper than employing more TMs).

In any case, it seems that was agreed here, but the company has then failed to honour the agreement. Whether or not that is because the DfT are “wary” of these arrangements, it’s a very predictable outcome.
 

Travelmonkey

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2023
Messages
773
Location
The Midlands
Strike service details have now appeared:

The stand-out detail is *no services whatsoever* on Saturday 23rd August. As far as I'm aware they have always managed at least some restricted services on the core routes in the past.
Edit: Note that as of 13:15 18th August the journey planners etc. have not been updated, this is due to happen tomorrow sometime.

Quote:


Monday has a *very* limited service:


Incidentally I love the way the complete canning of the Nottingham - Brimingham - Cardiff route doesn't merit a mention in the summary above for Monday while the other 170 route - Birmingham - Leicester - Cambridge - Stansted does.

Non-strike day Sunday is just "liable to cancellations", but that sounds like a typical Sunday anyhow.

I hope that on Saturday and Monday EMR might run 4 coach services between Nottingham and Norwich to cover the missing XC services from Peterborough to Ely; EMR should have enough spare due to the Stockport blockade.
So now the train I'm booked on as passenger assist doesn't exist anymore what does that mean as it's still confirmed in my app on the 25th 1944 off york

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Little surprise to anyone who has had to use it. It has always been horribly obvious that it is the lowest of XC’s priorities. I would be ecstatic to see it become a TFW Cardiff - Birmingham. Dream on!
As someone who's a pain in the BUT can we habe it Cardiff-Derby, tbh XC seem to be lacklustre on the board but Willington/Burton/Tamworth and Winecote get the short end of the straw.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,302
Location
East Midlands
So now the train I'm booked on as passenger assist doesn't exist anymore what does that mean as it's still confirmed in my app on the 25th 1944 off york
...
Your app may show the cancellation sometime tomorrow when the journey planners etc. are updated, at the moment only the pdf at the link above contains the real timetable.

Basically you need to decide if you can possibly travel the following day, or if you have to try to travel earlier on the 23rd via XC, e.g. on the 1344 (assuming you're going southbound), or if you can re-route via London, then contact customer services to find out about ticket validity and assistance.

If you want more help here post details of where you are going and when you want to be there / when you absolutely have to be there / whether you can handle crossing London etc.
 

1D54

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2019
Messages
1,482
So it seems XC are running a service. Leicester - Coleshill - Leicester all day on Monday. I booked a ticket via the site from Birmingham International to Leicester but my train from Nuneaton has been cancelled (I have received an email from Rail UK Tickets) so surely the best course of action for me is to take the the first available train from Nuneaton and claim DR from XC?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,517
Location
Yorkshire
So it seems XC are running a service. Leicester - Coleshill - Leicester all day on Monday. I booked a ticket via the site from Birmingham International to Leicester but my train from Nuneaton has been cancelled (I have received an email from Rail UK Tickets) so surely the best course of action for me is to take the the first available train from Nuneaton and claim DR from XC?
Yes, though they will probably deny your Delay Repay claim.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,302
Location
East Midlands
This is surely illegal
Aren't XC or any operator meant to provide a skeleton service on RMT strike days? Monday is a prime example.
If you're referring to the "Strikes (Minimum Service Levels) Act 2023" which allowed employers to get a court to order a minimum 40% service level, it has effectively never been used** and is in the process of being repealed.

But even if it was applied it only *allows* the employer to get a "work order"; it does not *oblige* them to get such an order, or to provide any service at all.

So the short answer is no, it's not illegal.

** I believe LNER might have obtained such an order, the union reacted by scheduling much more extensive strikes which complied with the 40% requirement and LNER abandoned the attempt. I may have misremembered the details though. As far as I know this was the only time the legislation has been used.
 

PupCuff

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
603
Location
Nottingham
This is surely illegal
Aren't XC or any operator meant to provide a skeleton service on RMT strike days? Monday is a prime example.
Most operators would use managers with train working competence to provide the skeleton service.

I heard on the grapevine XC (more probably DfT) cut - or at least were intending to cut - management contingency competence, so many of the managers who would ordinarily cover the service on strike days may well now be out of competence to work trains.

The natural result will be, virtually no service on a strike day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top