• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HST to aberdeen tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
Likewise Im extremely dubious that theres more than a handful of mostly trainspotters who use these trains long distance.
http://www2.passengerfocus.org.uk/news-and-publications/document-search/document.asp?dsid=870
Letter from DfT said:
There were around 20 million journeys on Virgin Cross Country (VXC) during 2005/6.
The average journey was 81 miles, with c. 50% of journeys at < 50 miles (c. 9.8 million
passengers), c. 20% between 50-100 miles (c. 4.2 million passengers) and 20% of
journey between 100-200 miles (c. 4 million passengers). Around 10% of the journeys
are over 200 miles.
So 90% of journeys are less than 200 miles.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
Yes, I treat with scepticism a lot of what comes out of the DfT, but if you walk down a voyager on a busy weekend Plymouth - Edinburgh and beyond run, and look at the seat reservation displays, a lot of them are in the 200 mile plus area.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Yes, I treat with scepticism a lot of what comes out of the DfT, but if you walk down a voyager on a busy weekend Plymouth - Edinburgh and beyond run, and look at the seat reservation displays, a lot of them are in the 200 mile plus area.

Long distance journeys are more likely to be reserved, with tickets bought in advance.

I'm sure that there are far more short and medium length journeys than long distance ones, however.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,375
Location
Yorks
Im a pretty frequent domestic flyer but the only time Ive ever used a connecting flight is to the Scottish Islands, whilst I realise that these bizarre connections are shown on Flybes website I'm sceptical that theres any more than a handful of people that ever use them.
Likewise Im extremely dubious that theres more than a handful of mostly trainspotters who use these trains long distance.




It has to be said though that even for middle distance journeys you're on the train for long enough to expect a reasonable level of comfort. A lot of my work colleagues use these services to travel between Leeds and Birmingham which is a couple of hours.
 

Simon11

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
1,389
I would guess its more like growth in shorter/medium distances is larger than long distance travellers. So there has been no fall in long distance travellers, rather than the growth being smaller.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
A lot of my work colleagues use these services to travel between Leeds and Birmingham which is a couple of hours.

Voyagers aren't suitable even for that, heck they weren't too suitable for one of my longer Voyager bashes, Bristol Parkway to Doncaster, way back in 2005. How then I survived Birmingham New Street to Glasgow Central on a 221 in 2007 I'll never know. Although to be fair that was back in the dark days of my bashing career...

One of my colleagues will be suffering a Voyager from Bristol to Taunton and vice versa tomorrow, it's fair to say that I don't envy her! I'm just glad I'll have the luxury (in comparison to Voyagers at least!) of a 175 on my trip to Manchester!
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Is it really a case of "suffering a Voyager" or "suffering a deficit of seating"? Would Joe Public really care if it were a HST or 220 so long as he had a seat?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Suffering a Voyager, well on Virgin it's not quite as bad but I've had some rather rancid smelling Voyager experiences before. Not being able to find a seat and having to stand from Taunton to Bristol (a not insignificant mileage of 44 miles) or Derby to Sheffield (again not insignificant mileage at 36 miles, particularly annoying when your phone is virtually out of charge and in dire need of even 30 minutes of juicing up!) makes for a less than pleasant experience too. The lack of luggage space is also frightfully annoying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top