• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Guards - Carrying pepper spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevion539

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2020
Messages
472
Location
The Milkyway
Hi all,

Just on a XC train and noticed the guard had pepper spray on his belt. Is this normal for all XC staff? I wasn't aware that guards were allowed to carry such items?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PupCuff

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
603
Location
Nottingham
Hi all,

Just on a XC train and noticed the guard had pepper spray on his belt. Is this normal for all XC staff? I wasn't aware that guards were allowed to carry such items?
Pepper spray etc is very illegal in the UK and even if you had managed to aquire some it's reasonable to assume you wouldn't overtly carry it lest you end up with a free trip to the nearest police station.

Perhaps it was hand sanitiser or something like that?
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
I'd be very surprised if it was pepper spray. I've known many XC guards and none of them have been packing heat, beyond their ticket machines anyway :lol:
 
Joined
11 Feb 2022
Messages
187
Location
Doncaster
Would be great if we could carry miniature air fresheners in that style!!

As said a few times I’d be very surprised if it was pepper spray, especially carried so openly with it being classed as a firearm

It could perhaps be a personal attack alarm? Some of those look like sprays but just sound a horrible alarm to draw attention and deter someone…some of the below have been issued by the TOC I work for…

Edit…this isn’t mine, a female colleague who works from a different depot was issued this
 

Attachments

  • 4F51BABF-B120-491F-94F5-0896F4863749.jpeg
    4F51BABF-B120-491F-94F5-0896F4863749.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 256

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
Not sure why they would need it, they don't actually seem to check tickets so the scope for confrontation is very limited.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm a regular XC passenger, I know how infrequent ticket checks are...
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,890
Location
Cambridge
Not sure why they would need it, they don't actually seem to check tickets so the scope for confrontation is very limited.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm a regular XC passenger, I know how infrequent ticket checks are...
Pre COVID, the TMs on the Voyagers were very desperate indeed, almost as much as Greater Anglia Regional and Northern’s, so I’m not sure what happened there.
 

Applepie356

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2019
Messages
191
Location
UK
it definitely won’t be pepper spray, it’s illegal.

However it could be one of those “self-defense” sprays which sprays a liquid that sticks for a week or so.

Or it’s just a bottle of hand sanitizer.
 

delt1c

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2008
Messages
2,182
Hi all,

Just on a XC train and noticed the guard had pepper spray on his belt. Is this normal for all XC staff? I wasn't aware that guards were allowed to carry such items?
Surely you shouldn't jump to conclusions. As posts above say there are many things it could be.
 

Bluejays

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2017
Messages
570
As much as I'd love pepper spray to be part of the tm kit, I strongly doubt it is :lol:
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
it definitely won’t be pepper spray, it’s illegal.

However it could be one of those “self-defense” sprays which sprays a liquid that sticks for a week or so.
Even that would almost certainly be considered gross misconduct if used by a staff member.
 

Undiscovered

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
554
Even that would almost certainly be considered gross misconduct if used by a staff member.
Depends on the circumstances.
If it's company issue, and used within policy, then not gross misconduct.

If it's a police issued spray as a result of a restraining order, against a specific person and is only used on that person if they're in breach of said order, then again, not gross misconduct.

Are there any XC guards able to shed light, or are we just going to go on fantastical mystery tours of speculation
 

class 9

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
1,080
Depends on the circumstances.
If it's company issue, and used within policy, then not gross misconduct.

If it's a police issued spray as a result of a restraining order, against a specific person and is only used on that person if they're in breach of said order, then again, not gross misconduct.

Are there any XC guards able to shed light, or are we just going to go on fantastical mystery tours of speculation
An XC driver here, I can definitely say no one carries pepper spray, a complete load of nonsense!
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
Could it be that smartwatch yiu spray it on someone and the cops can identify the person who it is through a UV light?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top