• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC and GWR train crew shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
I wasn't sure as I have seen GWR recruitment posters in the past stating the work entails "some weekends" - which I assumed included Sundays as well.

If this was the case, how can you have a two tier system whereby some staff don't have to work Sundays, yet all new starters would be forced to. I would have thought the "champions of the worker" - namely the Unions would have had something to say about this inequality.
Depends on individual depot agreements.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
I wasn't sure as I have seen GWR recruitment posters in the past stating the work entails "some weekends" - which I assumed included Sundays as well.

If this was the case, how can you have a two tier system whereby some staff don't have to work Sundays, yet all new starters would be forced to. I would have thought the "champions of the worker" - namely the Unions would have had something to say about this inequality.

I think you're inferring rather a lot into this. A recruitment poster stating that the job entails some weekend working does not necessarily mean that it is compulsory* nor that the existing staff are not bound by the same requirements as new entrants. Unless this is known to be a fact it does not prove the existence of a two-tier approach to weekend working. Following the trail of quotes up-thread does not provide any definitive answer to this.

* To be entirely pedantic, Saturdays are also counted as "the weekend" and these are part of the working week and, therefore, compulsory.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top