• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Xbox One' announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
... and with it ended my preference for Microsoft over Sony consoles. Microsoft to their credit have made a piece of technological genius... a games console for non-gamers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22613948

BBC News said:
Microsoft has unveiled the Xbox One which will go on sale later this year.

The next-generation console was shown off alongside a new Kinect sensor and a redesigned gamepad.

The US firm described the voice and gesture-controlled machine as an "all-in-one" system offering games, live TV, movies and music.

The firm's Entertainment and Devices Division accounted for $9.6bn (£6.3bn) worth of sales in Microsoft's last financial year.

That only represented about 13% of its total revenue for the period - but one analyst said the importance of this launch should not be underestimated.

"Microsoft is very strong in business software and the enterprise cloud business, but its consumer businesses are facing tremendous challenges: PCs are declining rapidly and Windows Phone handsets have only a fraction of the market shares of rivals," said Jia Wu from consultants Strategy Analytics.

"Xbox represents Microsoft's core strategy in the consumer entertainment market, especially after it sold its Mediaroom video distribution business to Ericsson earlier this year.

"This is also the unique asset which Microsoft has that can differentiate itself from Apple, Google and several of the other large tech companies. "

New features
The new machine sees Microsoft add a Blu-ray drive and Skype functionality to its console, built in feedback into its gamepad triggers, and upgrades its Kinect camera sensor to 1080p high definition resolution.

It said the Kinect would allow the device to better analyse body movements allowing users to more accurately control game characters and navigate other entertainment options.

"When you're exercising, it can read your heartbeat," claimed the firm.

New tools will also allow users to record and edit gameplay so clips can be easily uploaded to the web.

EA Sports was first to announce new titles for the machine revealing Fifa 14, Madden 25, NBA Live 14 and the fighting game UFC would all launch on the platform within the next 12 months using a new games engine called Ignite.

It said the new machine allowed it to carry out four times as many calculations a second as the Xbox 360 and 10 times more "animation depth and detail".


Microsoft has added the ability to watch live TV with channel selection controlled by voice
Microsoft Studios also revealed that Forza Motorsports 5 - the latest in its own racing car franchise - would be available when the console launched.

The division added that it planned to release 15 games within the console's first year, eight of which would be new franchises.

Another Microsoft unit, 343 Studios, revealed it would release a live-action Halo television series co-developed with movie director Steven Spielberg.

Activision also provided a first look at the next title in its Call of Duty series - Ghosts. It will use a new games engine to take advantage of the latest console's improved graphics capabilities, offering more detailed textures such as human skin. The title will also be released on rival platforms.

"The integration of voice and gesture control with social features and real-time sharing are crucial and create the opportunity for consumers to have a complete entertainment hub of which Xbox is the epicentre," said Fred Huet from research firm Greenwich Consulting.

"Combined with exclusive video content, Microsoft stands in a prime position to make valuable market gains in the increasingly competitive and profitable connected TV space."

...

As someone who plays video games and little more, I think my alligences will change to the PS4 once my 360 has had it. I don't want Skype, TV, pointless features like a TV guide because looking in the paper is too much faff, Kinect and all the rest. I want to play games and the occasional DVD (non-Blu Ray I should add - further, most people who want a B-R player have one by now!), not combine every multimedia outlet including my phone. One thing that will put me off beyond contemplation is if they code every game, as is rumoured, to only be playable on one console only; ending the second hand / lend to your mates trade, something which they didn't confirm but certainly never denied IIRC.

Anyone else?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also worthy of note that Sony shares went up 8% this evening!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,372
Location
Somewhere
To based on Kinect & TV rubbish. Half of which for the TV services, i really doubt we will be able to use.

How the console looks is a mixture of a HTPC, VCR Player & A Nintendo NES system.

Specs are nothing to exciting the same ish level as the PS4.

Like the PS4 the Xbox One will not be backward Compatiable, but this isn't a surprise since it is based on X86 Architexture.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4350662/new-xbox-has-no-backwards-compatibilty

Which in term should mean porting to the One & PS4 should be easier/ mean higher quality ports to the PC.

New Call of Duty looks the same as always and what i could see all apart from a small bit was pre-rendered. Many of the features it has mentioned have been in games for quite some time now.

The name is just stupid to me :/ We already have had a Xbox 'One' being the big black box thing.

Only thing im looking forward to is the Halo TV Series :D

Edit:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/xbox-one-does-not-require-alwayson-connection-19387

Appears it will be always online in some form.

Chris
 

familyguy99

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
981
Location
Oldham
Sorry if this is in link but if u play second hand games on Xbox one then u have to pay Xbox extra fee I believe.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ed-game-fee-wont-be-backwards-compatible.html

I don't think I be buying a new PS4 or Xbox one any time soon as my Xbox 360 and PS3 controls are working fine and probably wait until 2015 when it because cheaper or until they stop bring out Xbox 360 and PS3 games that is.
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
I'll quote a couple of comments from my facebook and a comment on a different article:

So all that was in that microsoft announcement was 30 minutes of rubbish about skype, lots of sports games (with 3D crowds!), a "live action halo tv series", an a COD that looks exactly the same. wooo?

and on the topic of the new Call of Duty

It's ALL TOTALLY NEW, the arms are REALLY DETAILED, there are sometimes floods to ruin your killstreaks (when you're not getting instakilled by thirteen year olds). Oh yeah have you heard the campaign is new, it starts with America being crippled and you (being the underdog) have to fight back. All so new and innovative!

This is seriously just them trying to tell us it's all new, when so far, it really isn't

It's disappointing but also quite amusing. Seriously hoping there's something better at E3 in a couple of weeks.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
What did you expect when they don't care about games? They've treated single and offline players with extreme disdain all but forcing players to buy xbox live and haven't brought out an innovative game in years.
 

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,372
Location
Somewhere
Is there anything actually new in this (probably) overpriced piece of junk?

Pretty much no, Unless you love American Sports channels, Kinect and other bits. Nothing has gone into depth about the new specs. (Think of a Mid powered un-upgradable PC) Wait for E3 in a few weeks to see what games though.

What did you expect when they don't care about games? They've treated single and offline players with extreme disdain all but forcing players to buy xbox live and haven't brought out an innovative game in years.

I've noticed that a lot. All i have is a Silver account and half the stuff for Forza 3/4 i can not get, just because i don't have a Gold account.

MP games for me shall always stick to pc.

Chris
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Good news for anyone with awful internet access too (so basically anyone with Sky) - unless XB1 can connect to the Internet at least once a day (or more often with certain games or features) it can't verify who you are therefore you won't actually be able to use it. Smashing.
 

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
Good news for anyone with awful internet access too (so basically anyone with Sky) - unless XB1 can connect to the Internet at least once a day (or more often with certain games or features) it can't verify who you are therefore you won't actually be able to use it. Smashing.
That's us offline/limited access users right out of the loop, then! :sad:

The only internet connection I have is via a tethered smartphone on a plan that offers 500MB a month*. My current 360-S already draws enough data just connecting to XBL (About 8MB last time I did it a while back - No patches/updates, by the way) and if it does that four times a day, that'll add up to stupid amounts over the course of a month! :shock: :sad:
* - Even with extremely cautious data usage, images off in my web browsers, and only updating apps etc. using "spare" bandwidth at the end of the period, I struggle to keep it under 420MB in a month!

Seems like Internet access is now going the same way as credit cards: Neither are essential for life (Indeed, credit cards are a Bloody danger to life if anything!) but if ye don't have both, ye are considered by the majority of companies to be "Not fit to be one of our customers"... :shock::sad:<(
 

carriageline

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
1,897
I don't think credit cards are a danger to life! If you are stupid and retarded with money, then yes they are. If you are clever, they can work massively for you, and can reward you quite a fair bit.

I like the new Xbox, although it will probably be quite gimmicky. I also think we will get a lot of TV content over here, as sky and Microsoft are already in bed with each other, so hopefully that will see this blossom
 

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
I don't think credit cards are a danger to life! If you are stupid and retarded with money, then yes they are. If you are clever, they can work massively for you, and can reward you quite a fair bit.
That's certainly true, and they do offer a lot of additional consumer protection as well. The thing that miffs me quite a bit is that (If my understanding is correct) they are very easy to lose track of, and thus - Even when one has the best and most financially solvent intentions at heart - They can still find themselves with rapidly mounting debt very quickly... :shock::(

Personally, I would love to see a banking rule introduced that applied exactly the same benefits and consumer protections from credit cards to debit cards as well. Thus one could avail themselves of said useful (And in certain cases, necessary) benefits without having to put their financial health at risk! :)
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
While I am in no way fond of the name or look of the new xbox, it's a bit to early to start throwing a hissy fit over what it can and can't do. That's not directed at anyone on this forum by the way.

On the subject of credit cards, how are they "very easy to lose track of"? I get a statement through the post every month, I can see it on my online account and a know how much I have used the card throuout the month. I can also set up a standing order to cover the payments if I need to as we'll so I don't have to remember to pay it off manually.
 
Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
What did you expect when they don't care about games? They've treated single and offline players with extreme disdain all but forcing players to buy xbox live and haven't brought out an innovative game in years.
Well I've managed to resist Xbox live, says me still with the first generation Xbox…
Good news for anyone with awful internet access too (so basically anyone with Sky) - unless XB1 can connect to the Internet at least once a day (or more often with certain games or features) it can't verify who you are therefore you won't actually be able to use it. Smashing.
Well that also kicks out any users who are periodic players, who may only play once a week, or less.

I am probably one of the only boys in my year at school who does not have either a Xbox or PS3; I'm not bothered anyway, as I'm satisfied with my laptop and iPod, which keep me sufficiently happy.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I am probably one of the only boys in my year at school who does not have either a Xbox or PS3; I'm not bothered anyway, as I'm satisfied with my laptop and iPod, which keep me sufficiently happy.

Likewise, I've always been quite happy with my good old SNES. After all, a games console is just that; I don't need, or particularly want the gimmicky stuff that comes with a modern console.
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
After the issues I have had with xbox live the last couple of days, I know where my money will be going when the new consoles release. I was converted from Playstation when the xbox 360 came out but guess what!........ I'm coming back Sony .....please forgive me for straying... :D

I watched the reveal and I have to say I just don't like the look of it, I'm sure my Dad used to have something that looked similar under the TV when I was a kid...Oh what did he call it?? ...A VCR that's it. :) and all this waving your arms about. The whole reason I never bought a Kinect or a Nintendo Wii was so that I didn't have to make a d!ck of myself dancing around the living room trying to make the thing work.
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
After the issues I have had with xbox live the last couple of days, I know where my money will be going when the new consoles release. I was converted from Playstation when the xbox 360 came out but guess what!........ I'm coming back Sony .....please forgive me for straying... :D

I watched the reveal and I have to say I just don't like the look of it, I'm sure my Dad used to have something that looked similar under the TV when I was a kid...Oh what did he call it?? ...A VCR that's it. :) and all this waving your arms about. The whole reason I never bought a Kinect or a Nintendo Wii was so that I didn't have to make a d!ck of myself dancing around the living room trying to make the thing work.
The main problem with motion controls is the lack of physical feedback. The Kinect was incredibly frustrating since the sensors seemed to throw a massive wobbly if you so much as needed to itch yourself. The Wii was redeemable by having the controller itself provide the feedback but also defeated the entire point of motion control, which to me is the ability to switch between screens like you're in Minority Report. I like the look of the Xbox One though. All my furniture is very plain in look, all 90 degree angles so it'll slot right in.

I think I'll invest in gaming computers this generation. It'll no doubt be a damn slight more expensive and frustrating but all this talk of fees for second-hand games and always online is a bit off-putting. Plus Steam has hoovered up nearly $1000 of mine!
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
Personally, I would love to see a banking rule introduced that applied exactly the same benefits and consumer protections from credit cards to debit cards as well. Thus one could avail themselves of said useful (And in certain cases, necessary) benefits without having to put their financial health at risk! :)

There's no financial health risk if they're used properly.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
After the issues I have had with xbox live the last couple of days, I know where my money will be going when the new consoles release....

Tbh, the idea of paying for something that Sony gives you for free has always seemed strange to me.

....I watched the reveal and I have to say I just don't like the look of it, I'm sure my Dad used to have something that looked similar under the TV when I was a kid...Oh what did he call it?? ...A VCR that's it. :) .....

I had a look at it after you said that and, tbf, most VCRs looked better than that.

....and all this waving your arms about. The whole reason I never bought a Kinect or a Nintendo Wii was so that I didn't have to make a d!ck of myself dancing around the living room trying to make the thing work.

The Wii does have games where you don't 'make a d!ck of yourself', it is mostly the 'kiddy' games (granted that is most of the Wii catalogue).

....The Wii was redeemable by having the controller itself provide the feedback but also defeated the entire point of motion control, which to me is the ability to switch between screens like you're in Minority Report....

I don't really think the Wii was ever meant for that sort of thing, it always had limitations, but it is not in the same category as the Kinnect and Eyetoy (remember them?) as far as I saw it. It was/is more a halfway between conventional consoles and the Kinnect/Eyetoy. It also has the benefit of being backwards-compatible.

....I think I'll invest in gaming computers this generation. It'll no doubt be a damn slight more expensive and frustrating but all this talk of fees for second-hand games and always online is a bit off-putting. Plus Steam has hoovered up nearly $1000 of mine!

I can't see me investing in another new generation of consoles, the games they produce for this generation are very samey and as they are turning into expensive 'entertainment systems' (with apparently little in the way of gaming advancement) it'd probably just be diverting money away from other things I would gain more satisfaction from.
 

familyguy99

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
981
Location
Oldham
Microsoft confirm yesterday at E3 events that new XBOX One will costs around £429 and will be release in November 2013.

PS4 will cost nearly £80 cheaper then XBOX one with price tag of £350 and PS4 should be out before Christmas.

http://news.sky.com/story/1101980/xbox-one-and-playstation-4-prices-revealed

XBOX One look very good but £429 is bit too much to get so I probably wait until it go cheaper like £250 to £300 mark until I buy new Xbox console.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xboxone/meet-xbox-one
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Aside from the price, the PS4 also will not have the restrictive "connect every 24 hours" and also does not have any restriction on pre-owned titles.

That clinches it for me, back to Sony.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Microsoft must immediately address the privacy concerns and always online nature of the console media centre if they wish to keep their users who are not perpetually sleeping with competitor's mothers on call of duty.

All that is secondary to the quality of games which will no doubt be awful. I shall be sticking with my GBA :lol:
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Well that's me out of the Xbox One - I'll be picking up Battlefield 4 on the current machine, then waiting for a PC.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
Nice to see UK customers getting stiffed on price again....£429 Amazon UK, $499 Amazon US :roll:

I'm in two minds about getting it at the moment which is a shame as I was a big Xbox fan from day one and was looking forward to the release details of the new console.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Isn't that because sales tax is not included in the sticker price for the US? Granted it's still cheaper than getting it here
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
True, so I guess a closer US price would be nearer $550 including a 10% sales tax.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
MS are backpedaling furiously

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Source: - http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
"Rattled" is the word.

Or they could have just said "we got it seriously wrong"
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I think they realised how badly wrong they got it. Still need internet access to set it up though.....:roll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top