• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WW1 era station farewell photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazonbytunnel

Member
Joined
5 May 2023
Messages
97
Location
Huddersfield
Can anyone work out the location here from the limited info available? Eastleigh on the carriage and a small platform shelter roof in the distance.

IMG_1355.jpeg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,575
Location
Surrey
Can't offer serious help with the location, I'm afraid, though a silly suggestion would be Rowlands Castle - justifying the castellated canopy. What a splendidly detailed photo of a LSWR third though. You can almost feel the summer heat. I assume it is the communication cord which is looped along the cantrail - conveniently inaccessible on the wrong side of the window as a discouragement for improper use!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
I have to make clear that Portchester is merely a ‘best guess’. It is based on the building being towards the rear of the train, the straight platform, the lack of much visible beyond the train (Portchester is on an embankment) and the possibility that the signal is Fareham West’s Down Starting Signal.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Can't offer serious help with the location, I'm afraid, though a silly suggestion would be Rowlands Castle - justifying the castellated canopy. What a splendidly detailed photo of a LSWR third though. You can almost feel the summer heat. I assume it is the communication cord which is looped along the cantrail - conveniently inaccessible on the wrong side of the window as a discouragement for improper use !
(My Italics) -- Tommy decides, "to hell with the idiot war -- I'm going to stay at home with my loved one", and employs communication cord accordingly; the £5 fine will be the least of his worries.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
I don’t think that this is necessarily from the Great War: it could be anywhen from ca. 1900 to ca. 1925, with much of the war being less likely due to the lack of soldiery and the quality. Look at the chap in the nearest compartment: he appears to be wearing military uniform of peacetime, probably pre-war, style, rather than khaki.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
You're much more of a scholar of this stuff, than I am ! The fascination which the overall 1914 -- 18 ghastliness exerts on me, tends to be in inverse proportion to my detailed knowledge about it...
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,700
Location
Hope Valley
The shadow of what I presume is the top of a fence is quite distinctive. Is suggests a fence of crossed wooden slats, which is pretty unusual. Sun on the right shows it’s the South, so train obviously heading East to West. Such a long run of just the fence shadow suggests no buildings behind it, adding to the idea of an embankment-top location.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,577
Location
LBK
How did you come by the photo? It may give a clue.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
I am increasingly of the feeling that it is Portchester. I have found a photo, probably from the 1950s, from the same angle and the tree, railings, signal and shelter are all there. The awning is different, but that is easily explained. The one bugbear is that there is a footbridge visible: the 1895 6” map doesn’t show one, but the 1907 25” does and the style is one that was introduced somewhere around the turn of the century. So it is possible that the photo is 1907 or earlier.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

A search through the Circular of the South Western Circle (for once I found everything quickly) reveals that the type of footbridge at Portchester was first authorised to be erected (at Downton) in 1902.

So I reckon this is Portchester between 1902 and 1907.
 
Last edited:

lazonbytunnel

Member
Joined
5 May 2023
Messages
97
Location
Huddersfield
I am increasingly of the feeling that it is Portchester. I have found a photo, probably from the 1950s, from the same angle and the tree, railings, signal and shelter are all there. The awning is different, but that is easily explained. The one bugbear is that there is a footbridge visible: the 1895 6” map doesn’t show one, but the 1907 25” does and the style is one that was introduced somewhere around the turn of the century. So it is possible that the photo is 1907 or earlier.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

A search through the Circular of the South Western Circle (for once I found everything quickly) reveals that the type of footbridge at Portchester was first authorised to be erected (at Downton) in 1902.

So I reckon this is Portchester between 1902 and 1907.

Thanks Gloster, good work.
 

stuving

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2017
Messages
741
On 7th January 1908, the Portsmouth Evening News reported that "as the result of the succession of accidents which have occurred from time to time at Portchester Railway Station, the authorities have prevailed upon the Company to erect a footbridge over the line. The work has been steadily proceeding for some months, and will be completed in the course of a week or so."

One of those accidents was also much reported in 1907; a menagerie proprietor (not an occupation you see much these days) was killed while crossing the tracks. His widow sued the L&SWR, but of course her suit was dismissed after the company pointed out that the approaching express train would have been visible by Mr Manders while half a mile away. However, at the inquest the jury had expressed the view that a safer way of crossing the line should be provided.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top