• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrongly Issued Penalty Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden19

New Member
Joined
8 Mar 2024
Messages
3
Location
epsom
Hi,

I just received a penalty fare in the post, but it must have been sent to the wrong person. I’ve never traveled the route mentioned in the letter, so it’s not me.

I’m confused and concerned because the letter has my correct name and address. For context, I did have a penalty fare over a year ago, which was my fault as I didn’t have my railcard loaded on my phone at the time. I paid that fine and have the details of it.

This current penalty fare is unrelated to me, as I’ve never traveled that route. I’d appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8877.jpeg
    IMG_8877.jpeg
    924.4 KB · Views: 144
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,309
Hi,

I just received a penalty fare in the post, but it must have been sent to the wrong person. I’ve never traveled the route mentioned in the letter, so it’s not me.

I’m confused and concerned because the letter has my correct name and address. For context, I did have a penalty fare over a year ago, which was my fault as I didn’t have my railcard loaded on my phone at the time. I paid that fine and have the details of it.

This current penalty fare is unrelated to me, as I’ve never traveled that route. I’d appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

Thank you.
Hi and welcome

Looks like someone is using your name and address. It won't be the first time this has happened on the railway of course

Is this the first communication of any sort you have received about this?

Is there any chance you would easily be able to prove what you were doing / where you were on the date time they say the Penalty was issued?

You need to engage with them about this - in writing, and that they receive that before 23 January.

I think not to the postal address given for payments on that letter but probably the Fare Evasion and Revenue protection section of GTR - we can find the postal address for you for that if it is not on what you have been sent (it is somewhere at Kings Cross station).

It may help to send a copy of some photo ID to them as if a description of the person issued with the Penalty Fare was taken, or a body cam image, and you look nothing like that person then that can help rule you out, esp if you don't have easy proof of being somewhere else.

As an aside if there is someone out there giving your name and address it may be an idea to do a check on your usual on line security etc eg bank accounts / passwords etc
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
This happens all the time and the rail companies know this.

Remember that, if this goes to court, they have to prove that it was you, you don’t have to prove that it wasn’t you.

That said, it’s usually best to engage with them, which may mean that you’ll end up providing some kind of identity document as @WesternLancer has said. Better to avoid being taken to court at all, even though it wasn’t you.

Your previous penalty fare isn’t relevant in that the previous issue was closed by your payment at the time. They can’t hold this against you in any way.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Tell them in writing that it wasn’t you and ask what else they need from you in the spirit of cooperation to satisfy them of this. Don’t allow them to take control, but be reasonable in working with them in resolving something caused by a third party in all likelihood.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

do these people ever check the rubbish they send out? Apparently not. If I’m going to send a formal letter to someone, the least I would do would be to check the spelling, even though this is no guarantee of correctness.

From https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/help-and-support/penalty-fares
All matters of appeal should be made in writing to:
Prosecutions Department
Eastside Offices
King’s Cross Railway Station
LONDON
N1C 4AX
 
Last edited:

golden19

New Member
Joined
8 Mar 2024
Messages
3
Location
epsom
Hi and welcome

Looks like someone is using your name and address. It won't be the first time this has happened on the railway of course

Is this the first communication of any sort you have received about this?

Is there any chance you would easily be able to prove what you were doing / where you were on the date time they say the Penalty was issued?

You need to engage with them about this - in writing, and that they receive that before 23 January.

I think not to the postal address given for payments on that letter but probably the Fare Evasion and Revenue protection section of GTR - we can find the postal address for you for that if it is not on what you have been sent (it is somewhere at Kings Cross station).

It may help to send a copy of some photo ID to them as if a description of the person issued with the Penalty Fare was taken, or a body cam image, and you look nothing like that person then that can help rule you out, esp if you don't have easy proof of being somewhere else.

As an aside if there is someone out there giving your name and address it may be an idea to do a check on your usual on line security etc eg bank accounts / passwords etc
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes this is the first letter I have received, which is strange as this is obviously a reminder. Annoyingly I was in university in the afternoon which uni will have record for but not the morning as of when they have said the offence took place, so I doubt that would make any difference.
Okay, I was planning on calling the number tomorrow morning, do you think it is worth doing so or just writing a letter, as I’m wary of it being received before the 23rd.
Thank you.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I would write to them as that way there's an audit trail of what you've sent them. It's also virtually impossible to speak to the Prosecutions Office anyway and customer relations won't be able to help. Make sure you keep a copy of what you send to them.

Send the letter by 1st class Signed For so you can check it has been received. 1st Class post is supposed to be delivered next working day but this isn't guaranteed, but there's plenty of time to get a letter to them by the 23rd.

Feel free to post a draft of your letter in this thread and forum members will proof read it for you.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,309
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes this is the first letter I have received, which is strange as this is obviously a reminder. Annoyingly I was in university in the afternoon which uni will have record for but not the morning as of when they have said the offence took place, so I doubt that would make any difference.
Okay, I was planning on calling the number tomorrow morning, do you think it is worth doing so or just writing a letter, as I’m wary of it being received before the 23rd.
Thank you.
Waste of time trying to phone them I’m afraid. Even if you do phone you must follow it up in writing anyway.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,979
Location
Airedale
Another useful thing you can do is to work out where you were at the time - even better if you can prove it - though you don't have to!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top