• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrong date of birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
This makes things much simpler. Your previous purchase history is practically irrelevant in this case, it's most likely that they will look only at this one incident, as it is far more difficult for them to build a picture of your purchase/travel history.

Somebody else may be better able to provide advice on how your friend should respond to the letter from Southeastern, when it arrives.

I've never used a Southeastern ticket machine, but I am slightly dubious about the ability to "accidentally" select a railcard discount. Your concern about how they may (or may not) be able to track/search your previous ticket purchases also makes me slightly suspicious. Other members will find it far easier to provide you with accurate advice if you are totally honest with the information you share. Apologies if you are being honest, I don't mean to offend.
I am not concerned about previous purchases. I am only concerned for this particular event. As I paid for her on machine. Will that involve me in any matter? That it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fermiboson

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2024
Messages
552
Location
Oxford/London/West Yorkshire
I have a slight correction for the OP upon further careful reading of the relevant legislation.

Railway Byelaws 21 states:
No person shall:

  1. buy a ticket on behalf of another intending to enable another person to travel without having paid the correct fare
  2. transfer or produce a ticket on behalf of another person intending to enable that other person to travel without having paid the correct fare
I don’t know whether OP’s actions here count as intent. In any case, the practical advice remains the same: the TOC is unlikely to care, and even more unlikely to find out, that you are the one who bought the tickets.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
Hi all. My friend has got the letter stating to write down her details on paper and anything else in response to that letter. What should she write in order to request them to solve this matter out of court
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
Hi.

Could you show us the letter, minus personal details and the reference number, please?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Please tell me how and what to write.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And also is it necessary to give NI number?
 

Attachments

  • 20241028_172412.jpg
    20241028_172412.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,154
I suggest a short, concise letter mentioning the following points:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train Southeastern's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

If you post a copy of your draft reply in this thread forum members will proof read it for you.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
Okay surely gonna post in 6 hours time.
Is it necessary to write
I suggest a short, concise letter mentioning the following points:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train Southeastern's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

If you post a copy of your draft reply in this thread forum members will proof read it for you.
Surely gonna write in 6 hours time.
Is it necessary to give NI number?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Okay surely gonna post in 6 hours time.
Is it necessary to write

Surely gonna write in 6 hours time.
Is it necessary to give NI number?
Can I reply to the email adress? And will the reply come on email adress or via letter?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And what can be the possible outcomes of this letter? I mean what wlll they do next?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,154
You're not legally obliged to give them the NI number but if you want the best chance of keeping the matter out of court then you need to co-operate with them.

I can't be certain but I suspect that whether you reply by physical letter or email they will reply via physical letter.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
You're not legally obliged to give them the NI number but if you want the best chance of keeping the matter out of court then you need to co-operate with them.

I can't be certain but I suspect that whether you reply by physical letter or email they will reply via physical letter.
What are they going to check with my NI number if you have any idea?
 

jp4712

Member
Joined
1 May 2009
Messages
562
Location
Lichfield
They usually ask for this as a way of helping to verify your identity. You seem overly bothered by this, is there any reason why this is so? Do you have a National Insurance number? If so, it’s no harm in telling them and they won’t use it to compare notes with the Department for Work and Pensions on what you’ve been up to. If there is some immigration issue that means you don’t have one then 1) no one here can advise you on any of that and 2) just decline to provide it. As has been said you want to be seen to be fully cooperative if you want to keep this out of court, but that’s up to you.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,834
Can I reply to the email adress?
What are they going to check with my NI number if you have any idea?
Why will you be replying if the letter has been sent to your friend? And if it has been sent to your friend they will not be wanting your NI number or doing anything with it. Or is it really you that the letter is addressed to because, if so, it will affect the advice that has been given?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,637
Location
LBK
I don't think there's much point in getting hung up on whether or not the OP is writing on behalf of their friend of themselves; I always assume the latter anyway.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
Guysssss. This letter is hers and they need her details. I was busy somewhere else so wrote my. Question is what are they gonna do with NI number?
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,443
Why will you be replying if the letter has been sent to your friend? And if it has been sent to your friend they will not be wanting your NI number or doing anything with it. Or is it really you that the letter is addressed to because, if so, it will affect the advice that has been given?
I might speculate that Sana's responses suggest that they are not a native English speaker and there is a distinct possibility that their friend is less skilled linguistically.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Guysssss. This letter is hers and they need her details. I was busy somewhere else so wrote my. Question is what are they gonna do with NI number?
Mostly likely use it to confirm identity.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
Should she mention about wrong year of birth she told to the ticket guy. Or just write correct date of birth and thats it
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
Complete the form honestly, with all the details correct. The NI Number will be used to confirm identity and possibly check if she has a history of fare evasion.

Then use the template that @Hadders has posted for a response and post it here. You'll get help with spelling and structure providing you put in some effort with the first draft.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,352
Presumably NI numbers help if cases go to court , guilty verdict , fine , and then offender fails to pay the fine and court need to enforce attachment of earnings order.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
Guys my friends english is not really good. Please help and suggest if anything else needs to be added up.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Final one
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20241030_065318_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20241030_065318_Gmail.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20241030_065908_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20241030_065908_Gmail.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,637
Location
LBK
In the opening post, you say you purchased the ticket for your friend because you felt guilty she had to go home.

In "your friend's email", your friend says they purchased the ticket and made an error.

Which is it?

If you want advice on whether or not to send something then you can't be asking people here to okay something which does not fit with the facts you have laid out. You should be truthful here, because if you aren't, the advice isn't going to be very helpful.

I don't think saying you accidentally added the railcard is going to be very productive - this is pretty much impossible to do by accident and there is a separate menu on the ticket machines to add it, and you need to press more than one button to select the railcard, especially if your explanation is that you did it in a hurry. So leave that out, nobody will believe that.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
In the opening post, you say you purchased the ticket for your friend because you felt guilty she had to go home.

In "your friend's email", your friend says they purchased the ticket and made an error.

Which is it?

If you want advice on whether or not to send something then you can't be asking people here to okay something which does not fit with the facts you have laid out. You should be truthful here, because if you aren't, the advice isn't going to be very helpful.

I don't think saying you accidentally added the railcard is going to be very productive - this is pretty much impossible to do by accident and there is a separate menu on the ticket machines to add it, and you need to press more than one button to select the railcard, especially if your explanation is that you did it in a hurry. So leave that out, nobody will believe that.
My friend has written that out. Should she mention that I purchased it for her? And how Should she write that all in? Will she then be involving me as well?
How should she write it?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,352
Guys my friends english is not really good. Please help and suggest if anything else needs to be added up.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Final one
If you paste it in text in the thread (as opposed to a screen grab) it's easier for people to make suggested edits for you to consider I suspect
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
That was the real incindent I shared with you guys. But as far as the ticket is concerned. I dont know really how to write it. She has written it. And obvio it was for reducing money. How should we write it then now? Does she need to write it in letter that I paid for her? Does that really matter who paid? Wont it be involving me then? Please help us how we write this all?
[automerge]1730297000[/automerge]
Dear prosecution team,

On 29th October, 2024, I was travelling from Sevenoaks to Gillingham. My son was not feeling well and as the counter was busy I opted to take one way ticket from machine. In a hassle to reach home I quickly pressed the destination and I couldn't see I have pressed for the railcard as well. Upon asked in the train about the railcard I didn't have it. I am extremely sorry on what happened as part of my negligence.
I travel very less by the train and I had no idea how these railcards work. Upon equiry I got extremely terrified. When I came home I saw that the date and month of my birthday is fine but the year is wrong, I immediately called the customer service of trainline, they told me I had to wait for the letter to come. Now I am putting my correct year of birth and attaching a copy of my ID card and UK driving licence.
I am extremely sorry for this incident and I have learnt to be mindful and vigilant while travelling and double check the ticket before travelling. I am ready to cooperate in this matter and would request you to please consider settling this matter out of court. I am happily willing to pay the outstanding fare and the train Southeastern's administrative costs in dealing with the matter
I shall be grateful to you for this act of kindness

Kind regards
 

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Could you have a look at post #53 please? There seem to be some unresolved queries.

I agree with typing out the letter on the thread as text, it will be easier to follow and suggest edits to.
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
That was the real incindent I shared with you guys. But as far as the ticket is concerned. I dont know really how to write it. She has written it. And obvio it was for reducing money. How should we write it then now? Does she need to write it in letter that I paid for her? Does that really matter who paid? Wont it be involving me then? Please help us how we write this all?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Dear prosecution team,

On 29th October, 2024, I was travelling from Sevenoaks to Gillingham. My son was not feeling well and as the counter was busy I opted to take one way ticket from machine. In a hassle to reach home I quickly pressed the destination and I couldn't see I have pressed for the railcard as well. Upon asked in the train about the railcard I didn't have it. I am extremely sorry on what happened as part of my negligence.
I travel very less by the train and I had no idea how these railcards work. Upon equiry I got extremely terrified. When I came home I saw that the date and month of my birthday is fine but the year is wrong, I immediately called the customer service of trainline, they told me I had to wait for the letter to come. Now I am putting my correct year of birth and attaching a copy of my ID card and UK driving licence.
I am extremely sorry for this incident and I have learnt to be mindful and vigilant while travelling and double check the ticket before travelling. I am ready to cooperate in this matter and would request you to please consider settling this matter out of court. I am happily willing to pay the outstanding fare and the train Southeastern's administrative costs in dealing with the matter
I shall be grateful to you for this act of kindness

Kind regards
So now you're saying you selected a Railcard discount to save money? That's totally opposite to what you told us at the beginning, and also totally different to what "your friend" has included in the reply. You're really not convincing anybody that you're being honest. Nobody will be able to help you or "your friend" if you aren't honest.
 

SU21

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
32
Location
Gillingham
Someone has suggested that we wont be talking about who purchased the ticket. Its just her taking the responsibility of purchasing the ticket as well. But I have no clue how to write it? Will they know at all that who purchased the ticket etc?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

So now you're saying you selected a Railcard discount to save money? That's totally opposite to what you told us at the beginning, and also totally different to what "your friend" has included in the reply. You're really not convincing anybody that you're being honest. Nobody will be able to help you or "your friend" if you aren't honest.
OMG dear. I posted the letter my friend has written. You are mixing things up. I dont know what is confusing you much honesty

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Keeping #34 35 in mind, we have written this letter. You know the whole scenerio, you tell me how we should write it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top