• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham/Shrewsbury to Sheffield/Hope Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
On Thursday this week I will be travelling from Sheffield to Stockport, then on Friday afternoon I will be dropped off at any of Wrexham/Ruabon/Shrewsbury to travel back to Sheffield. For the return journey (only) I will be accompanied be another passenger who needs to travel one way to Stockport.

I don't know precise timings so can't commit to Advance tickets, and I'd like the option to travel back via Manchester and the stopping Hope Valley service rather than Crewe-Stockport-Sheffield direct as depending on timing I may need to stop short at Bamford.

A basic Shrewsbury-Sheffield single is £41.30, off-peak return the other way is £52.40 which would cover me for the outbound Sheffield-Stockport as well, except that it's restriction 8A so no outward BoJ. Splitting at Stockport gives a rather more reasonable £19.80 (Shrewsbury-Stockport single) + £19.90 (Sheffield-Stockport Off-Peak Return) = £39.70 for me and just the £19.80 for my companion, assuming the Sheffield-Stockport ticket is valid via Manchester and the Hope Valley stopper. Trainsplit suggests Nantwich as a split for Shrewsbury to Sheffield, but I'm not sure how the outward Sheffield to Stockport leg affects things as Sheffield to Nantwich off-peak return is another 8A.

Starting from Ruabon or Wrexham knocks it down a few pounds (£16.90 single to Stockport) at the cost of a longer journey.

Anyone got any better ideas?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
The Sheffield-Stockport ticket is not valid, so far as I can see, for travel via Manchester. But it would be valid for Stockport-New Mills Newtown-walk-New Mills Central-Sheffield if you did need to stop off at Bamford on the way home.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
Would a Levenshulme-Sheffield ticket be valid via Manchester? Unable to check as away from computer.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
Both NRE and VTEC say that the £21.30 Sheffield-Levenshulme offpeak return is valid via Marple and Manchester Piccadilly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top