py_megapixel
Established Member
Could the 150s or 156s be fitted with new engines?
A modern engine would - one would presume - improve fuel efficiency significantly, reduce carbon emissions and air pollution (important given Northern's units in particular spend a lot of time in city centres) and possibly reduce the amount of unwanted noise in the passenger saloon. I wonder if a modern engine could also yield better acceleration as well, though I'm not too sure how these things work.
The question though is whether it would be worth doing for the amount of time these units are likely to be running for.
A modern engine would - one would presume - improve fuel efficiency significantly, reduce carbon emissions and air pollution (important given Northern's units in particular spend a lot of time in city centres) and possibly reduce the amount of unwanted noise in the passenger saloon. I wonder if a modern engine could also yield better acceleration as well, though I'm not too sure how these things work.
The question though is whether it would be worth doing for the amount of time these units are likely to be running for.

New kit has problems too. And EMUs are much simpler than DMUs.