• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worth complaining, or am I overreacting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,590
I'd have complained on two grounds: -

  • The assumption that your appearance means you shouldn't be in First Class - I've come across plenty of people in suits over the years who've "upgraded" themselves, so stereotyping is not the right approach.
  • His comments about the validity of your ticket - he might not like mobile tickets but they are valid. I've encountered passengers telling me they have been told off for using ticket machines by station staff before!
I would, however, have made clear I wasn't looking for compensation but just wanted to make XC aware of what one of their staff did. Whilst you seem to have taken it on the chin, others wouldn't, so surely better to make them aware so it can be looked at?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rdeez

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2013
Messages
354
Overall I got the impression that he's very "old school" and not too keen on developments like m-tickets...based on what he said and his claimed years of railway service, and that he said he could tell from peoples appearance if they're likely to belong in first or not...on the one hand, I'm sure his experience has given him a certain intuition about certain things. On the other, he could have handled the situation very differently by simply doing a normal ticket check on departure - of both me and the other passenger. No feathers ruffled, same thing achieved. Its that he chose to confront me the moment I walked in, and without checking the guy who followed me, that irked me (and then rubbed salt on the wound with the m-ticket stuff).

Hopefully that came across in my complaint - that I was upset about the methods, not the aim. And hopefully he has indeed had a "talking to" about his approach. The only way I might found out is if (or more likely when, as I travel the route weekly) I come across him again.

I just hope I'm wearing something thoroughly un-first class at the time.
 

Hardcastle

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2013
Messages
358
Location
Preston
Complain i would for the reasons you explained, sorry i was late to the tread.
 
Last edited:

misterredmist

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2015
Messages
294
Location
Bedfordshire
Well the TM deserved a complaint if only for pathetically declaring that you were
"abusing" him - what a horrible retort to reasonable questioning......

it really was a poor show of him requesting your ticket and not your fellow passenger's ticket......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top