Highland Main Line, glorious sunny morning, Paxman Valenta power front and back and breakfast in the restaurant car. Can’t beat it.
Ooh yes, I was post Valetta when I experienced it, but the comfort of a mk3 was superb !
Highland Main Line, glorious sunny morning, Paxman Valenta power front and back and breakfast in the restaurant car. Can’t beat it.
Well yes, because so many of these routes are 'Marmite": some people hate them and others love them.There seems to be an awful lot of what you might call the opposite of the ‘worst rail journeys in the UK’ creeping into this thread…![]()
Although, alas not the same now that Factory Junction signal box has gone !
There seems to be an awful lot of what you might call the opposite of the ‘worst rail journeys in the UK’ creeping into this thread…![]()
A good mate ,who was a relief SM on the Southern - had to keep this important box going at times of staff shortages , (otherwise everything on the SE Division out of Victoria was kyboshed) , used to arrange special delivery of refreshments etc by 4EPB , until signalling cover was arranged. Off topic - but worth mentioning (well I think so)

While the HML is nowhere near the worst line in the UK, it wasn’t all that great in winter on a freezing winter night on a HST, with the droplights being left open after every stop and the cold air freezing you for several hours and the heating being totally unable to deal with it…Ooh yes, I was post Valetta when I experienced it, but the comfort of a mk3 was superb !
While the HML is nowhere near the worst line in the UK, it wasn’t all that great in winter on a freezing winter night on a HST, with the droplights being left open after every stop and the cold air freezing you for several hours and the heating being totally unable to deal with it…

I just get triggered by all those solar farms that have appeared alongside the route.The "boring south ECML" isn't unpleasant to travel on generally, either.
I just get triggered by all those solar farms that have appeared alongside the route.
This is so well said and indeed my dad said exactly the same to me when we went on it; he commented we'd have seen far more if we drove to each scenic part of the line.
Yes it’s very subjective isn’t it? I quite like a bit of post industrial or inner city bleakness because it’s different to where I live. I probably wouldn’t feel the same way if I saw it every day though!
This seems passive aggressive, and if it was meant as such then take a look at the way Northern advertise it. Mind you, I still thought it was a very nice line.Thing about the S&C is it's been hyped for its own civil engineering works, rather than for the countryside around it as is the case for most lines with the "scenic" label. So yeah, people end up trying to look at the wrong things, and get disappointed because they can't see them instead of enjoying looking at the bits they can see.
Thing about the S&C is it's been hyped for its own civil engineering works, rather than for the countryside around it as is the case for most lines with the "scenic" label. So yeah, people end up trying to look at the wrong things, and get disappointed because they can't see them instead of enjoying looking at the bits they can see.
Yes it’s very subjective isn’t it? I quite like a bit of post industrial or inner city bleakness because it’s different to where I live. I probably wouldn’t feel the same way if I saw it every day though!
Hopefully I'll have travelled on it within the next few months, but is the Barton-on-Humber line a candidate for 'worst railway journey?'
I am obligated to travel because others have implied with any cuts, it might be one of the first to be dispensed with.
This seems passive aggressive, and if it was meant as such...
May I ask what you expected to see out of a Merseyrail train window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains?I'm surprised that the Wirral lines have not been mentioned. From what I've seen of them the couple of times I've actually covered them, there was nothing whatsoever of interest and it was boring cuttings through Birkenhead, and nothing to get the heart racing North and West of Birkenhead North. The Borderlands route down to Shotton I found jaw-achingly boring, and don't get me started on the lines to Ellesmere Port, Helsby and Chester.
Surprisingly the Wirral Way walk on the old tracks from West Kirby to Hooton, does have some great views across to North Wales.
From what I see from the trains on the Wirral, wild horses couldn't drag me to live there.
I'm afraid no-one can hear you, we've not got our hearing aid batteries in.May I ask what you expected to see out of a Merseyrail train window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains?
May I ask what you expected to see out of a Merseyrail train window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains?
I wouldn't describe the wildlife of Birkenhead as majestic.To be fair the trains pass through Birkenhead
I wouldn't describe the wildlife of Birkenhead as majestic.
One and the same. So long as a definition of sweeping includes staggering and shouting loudly, then said sweeping could be majestic.He might have been talking about the people? Then again, probably not.
Can second this, especially during school rush-hoursI often hear my Thameslink coworkers talking about how awful the Rainham and Sutton services are south of the river in terms of the antisocial behaviour they receive, with the latter being pretty boring to drive along too.
Very good... I do like the James St westbound platforms though, and the ride through the river tunnel. Will be doing it at least a couple of times in the next few weeks. Also a shout-out (from me) for the line towards Southport. Interesting views of the docks and river - I wish I could have ridden the Overhead - then lots of happy memories of walks reached from most of the stations on the line.May I ask what you expected to see out of a Merseyrail train window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains?
Yes, I agree. As a regular commuter between Maidstone and London I dread a journey on the Maidstone East Line, mainly due to the frequent stops. The views between Otford and Swanley are enjoyable though, and the new direct service to Charing Cross has made it much more bearable.A lot of dislikes on here for the NKML, personally i don't think its that bad. East of Strood its not bad view wise as you get to see a nice view of Rochester from the train, then past Gillingham there is some good countryside all the way out to Faversham and both the Canterbury East and towards Margate lines have some nice sights.
A Kent line that is rather dull in the Maidstone East line West From Maidstone East up until Victoria as the views are rather uninteresting as you go through a lot of cuttings and tunnels with little to look at outside of the train scenery wise. You can feel the 1hr and 10mins journey to Victoria and its crammed between Bromley South to Victoria . The section of the line from Maidstone East to Ashford intl is quite the contrast as there is some nice views from the train and its a decent 20mins for that section of the line.