• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst character in otherwise excellent shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Sorry, you are correct. I also liked the manager, who didn't appear very often, a prematurely balding bloke with glasses whose character and actor's name escapes me.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Legolas (Thranduilion for the other Tolkien nerds on here, if any) in The Lord of The Rings movies.

Nice hair doth not a hero make.

+1 for whoever said Scrappy Doo earlier - irritating little pitta bread filler.

And the whole "star in a reasonably priced car" segment of Top Gear. A fairly creditable re-make of The Goodies spoiled by unnecessary arselikhan.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,688
Location
Seaford
Sorry, you are correct. I also liked the manager, who didn't appear very often, a prematurely balding bloke with glasses whose character and actor's name escapes me.

I think you're referring to Mr Rumbold (Nicholas Smith), who actually appeared in every episode. He's the last of the main cast still alive, following the relatively premature deaths of John Inman, Trevor Bannister and Wendy Richard.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
I think you're referring to Mr Rumbold (Nicholas Smith), who actually appeared in every episode. He's the last of the main cast still alive, following the relatively premature deaths of John Inman, Trevor Bannister and Wendy Richard.

Thank you! My useless claim to fame is that Wendy Richard bought me a drink in a pub near Baker St in London in 1980.
 

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
*sighs*

Bernadette, Lisa Simpson, Lesley Knope - all intelligent, opinionated women...would the male equivalents be considered as annoying?
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
Scrappy Doo.

Obnoxious squeaky voiced show stealing know it all. Ruined a perfectly good cartoon, for us of a certain generation :)

How dare you insult the great Scrappy (Dappy) Doo :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You're right - the programme has never been the same without Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman!

In the same way, for me "New Tricks" has never be the same without the original team of Alun Armstrong, Amanda Redman and James Bolam.

By the way, what's happened to that nice Alvar Lidell who used to read the news on the wireless? [!]

What about Cathy Hytner the original eye candy before Voderman :p
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
Young Mr Grace (Harold Bennett) was excellent.

He was replaced by Old Mr Grace (Kenneth Waller) who was actually almost thirty years younger: and rubbish.

Ah, I don't think I 've seen those episodes.

Only remember seeing young Mr Grace.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
What about Cathy Hytner the original eye candy before Voderman :p

No - she never answered any of my emails. :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My useless claim to fame is that Wendy Richard bought me a drink in a pub near Baker St in London in 1980.

I liked Richard Wilson playing a doctor in Born & Bred, and thought he was excellent playing himself in an edition of Father Ted.

However, I find his commentary for Inside East Coast Trains rather boring and patronising, but I suspect that's the script he's been given.

Mrs Welshman claims I'm beginning to resemble his Victor Meldrew, and thought he was excellent playing himself in an edition of Father Ted.

However, my claim to fame is meeting him at a wedding I was conducting many years ago, when he turned-up as Best Man. It was all I could do not to utter...I don't belieeeeve it! :D
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Father Noel Furlong in Father Ted - he's just annoying and I know he's meant to be but it grates

Wes Weasley in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Bernadette is grating - but that's the point of the character. The stereotype of him married someone like his mother.

Except of course that Bernadette is neither Jewish or morbidly obese. Bernadette only acts like Mrs Wolowitz when she's trying to control Howard.

I hope the writers don't decide to use Bernadette as a substitute for Howard's mother now that the actress who played Mrs Wolowitz has died. I think the character should be re-cast.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Abpj17:1997032 said:
*sighs*

Bernadette, Lisa Simpson, Lesley Knope - all intelligent, opinionated women...would the male equivalents be considered as annoying?

Yes. And it's not because of their intelligence, it's the voices more than anything that drive me up the wall (no idea who Lesley Knope is, so passing on judgement there)!

I would consider Sheldon from TBBT to be highly intelligent and opinionated, and he is often considered to be a highly irritating character. No doubt other males could feature on this thread.

Why the suggestion of sexism?
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Thank you! My useless claim to fame is that Wendy Richard bought me a drink in a pub near Baker St in London in 1980.

You were lucky! Saw her once in a department store cafe in Oxford Street in a fur coat and a look on her face that said to all around (she was in East Enders by this time) 'DON'T YOU DARE APPROACH ME' and nobody did. But I did also see a much more companionable Nicholas Smith in a small pub near Leicester Square and, sharing a table with some others, exchanged small talk.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,497
Location
Birmingham
I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned already:

Wesley Crusher from Star Trek TNG
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned already:

Wesley Crusher from Star Trek TNG

I'd agree with you there. Along with Chief O'Brien, who rarely, if ever, was central to a plot. Such a waste of the talents of Colm Meaney.

As for Wil Wheaton, who played Wesley Crusher, I really enjoy his cameos as 'himself' in TBBT, although not as much now compared to when he was Sheldon's arch-nemesis.

"WHEATON!!!"
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Yes. And it's not because of their intelligence, it's the voices more than anything that drive me up the wall (no idea who Lesley Knope is, so passing on judgement there)!

I would consider Sheldon from TBBT to be highly intelligent and opinionated, and he is often considered to be a highly irritating character. No doubt other males could feature on this thread.

Why the suggestion of sexism?

I've just watched a few episodes and Raj is irritating in his desperation.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I've just watched a few episodes and Raj is irritating in his desperation.

Depends what episodes you watch to be fair. There's been less of his outrageous levels of desperation shown lately (although that said, the rest of the 8th season probably will feature that now! Those ahead of us watching it as God intended on E4, no spoilers please!), although it has to be said Howard used to be worse in earlier seasons (seasons 1-3 I believe that was, memory fails to tell me when he met Bernadette), that being said the humour was also there.

Which I must go off on a slight tangent on though, why TBBT needs that clearly-used laugh track I have no idea. HIMYM (for avoidance of doubt, that's How I Met Your Mother) didn't need any laughing sounds in it and it was so much better for it. It really gets on my wick!
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,783
Location
Newport Pagnell
I've said this before but Big Bang Theory followed the route of Men Behaving Badly. Both started off as excellent ****takes of socially inept men but went downhill when the women started to take a bigger role (with the exception of Penny in BBT who was a major character from the start). They should have stuck with the original premise of both.

Worst character in any sitcom that I watched regularly was Douglas Reynholm (Matt Berry) in The IT Crowd. Can't stand the guy and can't bear to watch any of the other cack he's involved in. Surprisingly, he managed to be more annoying than Denholm Reynholm (Chris Morris).
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,497
Location
Birmingham
I've said this before but Big Bang Theory followed the route of Men Behaving Badly. Both started off as excellent ****takes of socially inept men but went downhill when the women started to take a bigger role (with the exception of Penny in BBT who was a major character from the start). They should have stuck with the original premise of both.

Red Dwarf went the same way when Kochanski became a regular character.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,497
Location
Birmingham
I'd agree with you there. Along with Chief O'Brien, who rarely, if ever, was central to a plot. Such a waste of the talents of Colm Meaney.

Very true, although the writers did make up for it with DS9 where IMO O'Brien was one of the best characters.
 

Abpj17

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
1,012
Ian - it's the eternal challenge though. Do you move the storyline on (as in MBB, TBBT) or leave it timeless (Simpsons - can probably only really do in cartoon world lol) or go out on a high (Fawlty Towers)

Techniquest - merely an observation that the three highlighted are all high achieving/ambitous women; I doubt any of the posters are sexist (at most, unconscious bias). You could infer that there is an innate annoyance from successful women from that sample. Tho of course in the case of Bernadette, the voice is quite distinctive!
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Worst character in any sitcom that I watched regularly was Douglas Reynholm (Matt Berry) in The IT Crowd. Can't stand the guy and can't bear to watch any of the other cack he's involved in.

Have to disagree with you there. Love Matt Berry. One of the finest comedy character actors currently on British TV. Outstanding in 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace'. 'Toast of London' is a hoot, and his turns in 'The IT Crowd' and 'House of Fools' often steal the scene.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Howard used to be worse in earlier seasons (seasons 1-3 I believe that was, memory fails to tell me when he met Bernadette), that being said the humour was also there.

If memory serves then it was near the end of season 3 he met Bernadette.

Ian - it's the eternal challenge though. Do you move the storyline on (as in MBB, TBBT) or leave it timeless (Simpsons - can probably only really do in cartoon world lol) or go out on a high (Fawlty Towers)

Frankly I think a show should go out on a high but that is easier said than done. By going on and on and on it prevents new ideas from being launched. Even in their weaker states they're still amongst the best shows on TV so they'll still get made.

One show I think should be put in this category is CSI, IMO they've run out of ideas now
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Which I must go off on a slight tangent on though, why TBBT needs that clearly-used laugh track I have no idea. HIMYM (for avoidance of doubt, that's How I Met Your Mother) didn't need any laughing sounds in it and it was so much better for it. It really gets on my wick!


Don't know where you got that idea from as its filmed in front of a live audience as are most sitcoms-especially ones from 'Murica
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
Don't know where you got that idea from as its filmed in front of a live audience as are most sitcoms-especially ones from 'Murica

Indeed. They might use laughs from a different take to the one that actually appears in the show but the laughs should be genuine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top