• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worse signposted Town/City

Status
Not open for further replies.

connor7777

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
137
I'm talking about fairly big towns or cities that dont appear on a sign, including the route confirmatory signs after a junction.

It's probably Chester.
reason: Not signposted from obvious parts of Ellesmere port, or even from Oswestry/Llangollen and Shrewsbury <-yet these places are signposted from Chester
Even Mold aswell theres no sign to Chester.
From Oswestry the 1st sign to Chester is from 19 miles away from the Halton roundabout/Chirk.

I don't know how they work it out, small towns like Dolgellau get signposted from 40 miles away.
Felixstowe appears on a sign 120 odd miles away at a junction near Coventry, yet Ipswich on the same road is a bigger town and nearer is not signposted, haha its mad isnt it.

The worse road for singposts is the A488, its the road that goes between Shrewsbury and past Knighton. Easy to get lost on that road.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I don't know how they work it out, small towns like Dolgellau get signposted from 40 miles away.
Felixstowe appears on a sign 120 odd miles away at a junction near Coventry, yet Ipswich on the same road is a bigger town and nearer is not signposted, haha its mad isnt it.

Felixstowe does make sense when you consider Trucks heading for the port (one of the largest in Europe!)
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
It's interesting that from Plymouth all you ever get on the signs is Exeter. M5 isn't mentioned until you are about 2 miles away from it. Once beyond Exeter London doesn't get mentioned until halfway to Taunton.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
It's interesting that from Plymouth all you ever get on the signs is Exeter. M5 isn't mentioned until you are about 2 miles away from it. Once beyond Exeter London doesn't get mentioned until halfway to Taunton.

Yet on the A30 London is signed immediately after J29 though TBH there isn't much of importance on the A303 route - IIRC the sign says

Exeter Airport
Honiton
(Dorchester via A35)
Yeovil
London
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
That's interesting, considering the principtal strategic route from Exeter to London is via the M5 and M4 I can't really see much need to have London on the sign. I'd even put London on the M5 sign at Junction 29 to try and keep people on this route. You really don't want to be encouraging more traffic onto the A303/A30 route as I'm sure you know many sections are absolute rubbish. This route is set to get even worse in the future with the planned installation of traffic lights at the Countess Roundabout near Stonehenge and also Junction 29 of the M5 is to have traffic lights added. I'm not quite sure how the Highways Agency see the Junction 29 works as an improvement as all it will do is result in more congestion.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Junction 29 of the M5 is to have traffic lights added. I'm not quite sure how the Highways Agency see the Junction 29 works as an improvement as all it will do is result in more congestion.

They seem to have an obsession with lights, they've just 'improved' J30 Sandygate with lights on the exit towards Exmouth for pedestrians and a new flat junction on the Dual Carridgeway Spur to the A379 Countess Wear and a new lane layout on the roundabout that I've seen several near accidents on. It will be fun during a bank holiday when the Grockles encounter it for the first time

I gather the junction to the east of J29 (Sowton Vill and Old A30 currently a flyover) is being converted to flat junction
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
I gather the junction to the east of J29 (Sowton Vill and Old A30 currently a flyover) is being converted to flat junction
That said, since the South West Regional Assembly killed off all the remaining A303/A30 upgrades a few years back maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to make things even slower on that route to discourage traffic from using it. I would remove London from all the signs at least until near Yeovil.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I prefer the A303 to the M5 route myself, but I tend to drive either very early or overnight so traffic isn't usually a problem. Of course I know better then to try either route on a Summer Saturday/Bank Holiday!
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
I prefer the A303 to the M5 route myself, but I tend to drive either very early or overnight so traffic isn't usually a problem.

I ALWAYS do the A303/A30 route myself, time wise theres not much diffrence between that and the A358/M5 route, and besides, i like to drive, not sit on a motorway with the cruise control on!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh incidently....... whoever thought to put traffic lights on roundabouts and motorway junctions wants poisening, then hanging and then shot by fireing squad!!!!!!!!!
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
I prefer the A303 to the M5 route myself, but I tend to drive either very early or overnight so traffic isn't usually a problem.
If you must use the A303 then you can use the M5 to Taunton and then the A358 and join the A303 at Ilminster This avoids the worst section through the Blackdown Hills and the 20 mph bend. I don't really know why anyone would prefer the A303 though as it can be very frustrating stuck behind a truck. Sat Nav also seems to want to send you via the A303 for some reason and last time I had to advise the driver not to ignore it as it was a Bank Holiday weekend and we would likely have been stuck behind a caravan for miles.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Marsh bend isn't that bad ;) There are far worse bends out there (Winkleigh being a good example of a 180 hairpin for no apparent reason), plus a good twisty road will usually put a smile on my face!

Worst part for trucks is the long climb out of the Otter Valley through Monkton, though as with most westcountry roads caravans are the main problem
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
I don't think a 20 mph bend on what is supposed to be a major trunk road is good at all but what makes it even worse is that this bend is just after the end of a short derestricted dual carriageway. Maybe they should de-dual the Marh bypass. The rest of the Ilminster to Honiton section has a 50 mph speed limit.
 

connor7777

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
137
Crewe is not signposted from Chester, yet Nantwich is signposted on the same route.
The 1st Crewe sign is a the traffic lights a mile south of Tarporley.
Is'nt Crewe bigger than Nantwich?
 

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
They are both primary destinations and as Nantwich is before Crewe then it gets mentioned on the signs.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Not really the same thing but I always remeber Coventry for having no street nameboards at the end of roads.
 

connor7777

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
137
They are both primary destinations and as Nantwich is before Crewe then it gets mentioned on the signs.

Yes but if you look at the mileage sign after Tarvin and Tarporley roundabout

Nantwich, Whitchurch, M6, Newcastle, Birmingham, Stoke and Stone are all mentioned, but no Crewe. don't you think that is srange in a way.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Newcastle can be a bit tricky to navigate but for me, anything to do with driving into London turns into a nightmare.
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Although this isn't driving, I do my best to avoid the sinkhole of the Midlands that happens to be Birmingham - nightmare to navigate especially when locals like to give you wrong directions!
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
I've noticed that at countless roundabouts and junctions on the road infrastructure in Tamworth there's always signs pointing to 'Town Centre' but you never seem to get any closer to it, regardless of which exit you take.
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
One place I never had difficulty with is Edinburgh......then they started building the tram. <(
Leaving Edinburgh again I liked to head out to Bo'ness to see family and then head back down south to Newcastle. I liked using the A90 towards South Queensferry or alternatively the A8 through Corstorphine and the junction at the west end of Princes Street near the Caledonian Hotel was just never signed correctly when the roadworks started. One occasion saw me follow the signs for the A90, well I say signs - there was only one, then no more. So you were just left to your own devices. I ended up back where I started again at that junction just heading the other way. 15 minutes later I gave up on trying to find the A90 and headed south to the bypass and round that to the M8/M9. It was a bit longer but at least the signage worked.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I loathe driving in Glasgow. Glasgow City Council have some weird phobia of white paint and signs. As a result, some of the junctions are very poorly signed, and some of them are very very complicated. Even the simple ones, you think you're in the correct lane to go straight ahead (no signs or markings to indicate otherwise, so it's fair to assume that the left hand lane goes straight ahead), then a left hand filter lane comes on! And the city is so busy that there's no sympathy for you if you do make a mistake. If you've got three or more lanes of traffic, well you've just got to get in what you think is the right lane and hope it goes the right way. Even where they have painted arrows, though, very often they go straight into a row of parked cars or something similarly stupid.

Even some of the most basic white paint (ie, the dashed lines down the middle of the road, the give way marks) has faded into nothingness.

Thankfully the M8 through the city is better, but the layout is so complicated that anyone who doesn't know the road has no real chance. Indeed, visitors from England may never have seen a right hand motorway junction before, and up here you get two in the space of a mile!

Moral of the story; don't drive in Glasgow!
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I
Thankfully the M8 through the city is better, but the layout is so complicated that anyone who doesn't know the road has no real chance. Indeed, visitors from England may never have seen a right hand motorway junction before, and up here you get two in the space of a mile!

The M8 is a nightmare! By far my most loathed road!
 

connor7777

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
137
Chester City centre became worse, the new signs now just say city centre or through traffic, on every roundabout
 

devon_metro

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2005
Messages
7,715
Location
London
They seem to have an obsession with lights, they've just 'improved' J30 Sandygate with lights on the exit towards Exmouth for pedestrians and a new flat junction on the Dual Carridgeway Spur to the A379 Countess Wear and a new lane layout on the roundabout that I've seen several near accidents on.

Sounds like they've been speaking to Southampton City Council!
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Sounds like they've been speaking to Southampton City Council!

Well they've just done the lights on Sidwell Street (by the Co-Op/Duke of York) so turning right from the odeon now has to wait its turn. I'd much rather they put some yellow hatching to make a gap in the queue so that I can get out of my road without having to turn left and go round the block (not always easy either if the queue is blocking the next 2 junctions aswell)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top