• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worried about my medical..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew32

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
492
Hi,

I'm due for a medical in the near future, I have a blood condition where I produce to many red cells and it makes my blood sticky.

I have been seeing a hemotologist for ten years and have gone from having a pint of blood taken from me every month to not having one taken off for nearly two years, I see the hemotologist every three months.

Am I right in thinking that this shouldn't be a problem when I mention it in my medical?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
I shouldn't think so, I'm currently taking medication that prevents my blood from being too sticky and my employer have been very supportive about it.
 

JSB

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
21
What sort of roles do you require medicals for in the industry? Or is it standard for all roles?

I am thinking of applying to become a gateline assistant in the future, would I be required to take a medical for that? What sort of things in a medical would stop you from getting the job? I'm overweight for example, would that count against me? Also being on anti-depressants, would that also count against me in a medical assessment?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
 
Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Cool, well I haven't taken what I sometimes need for a few days (had to give a speech at a wedding!) so I'll mention it just incase it did come up in the urine test!

If you need to take a drug to calm your nerves for something like a speech at a wedding how would you cope in an emergency situation? As quoted by many you need to declare your medical condition and this is far more important than declaring the medication that your are taking to combat this condition.
 

Andrew32

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
492
Hi all

Can I just ask something regarding medicals.

I am currently employed and need to give a months notice before I start with Northern as a conductor.

Will they send me for a medical before this one month notice period as I'm worried that if I serve my notice with my current employer and then fail the medical I will be out of a job altogether.

I can't see any reason why I should fail a medical as I'm a gardener but it's stuck in the back of my mind.

I have already passed my interview and Conductor assessment and they have indicated that they want to start me in January so i'm wondering when my medical could be and why I haven't been on one yet.

Thanks in advance
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
Hi all

Can I just ask something regarding medicals.

I am currently employed and need to give a months notice before I start with Northern as a conductor.

Will they send me for a medical before this one month notice period as I'm worried that if I serve my notice with my current employer and then fail the medical I will be out of a job altogether.

I can't see any reason why I should fail a medical as I'm a gardener but it's stuck in the back of my mind.

I have already passed my interview and Conductor assessment and they have indicated that they want to start me in January so i'm wondering when my medical could be and why I haven't been on one yet.

Thanks in advance

They shouldn't make you a firm offer until you have passed the medical and they have references. They therefore shouldn't expect you to give any notice at your current job until that firm offer is made.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top