• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worried about impending consequences of invalid train ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorriedWorker

New Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
3
Hi All.

Sorry to start a new thread about the same topic as many on here but as I'm sure you can appreciate I am very worried.

I am 18 years old and recently started full time employment.

Just yesterday I got a train Runcorn - Liverpool Lime Street, and being in a hurry to get to work on time did not purchase a ticket at the station.

Further to this there was no opportunity to purchase on the train.

Upon arrival I bought a ticket from the ticket officer for Liverpool South Parkway - Liverpool Lime Street (In hindsight, this being one of the worst decisions I have ever made.

I passed through the barrier and was stopped by a representative from Northern Rail (I travelled on East Midlands) who pointed out that to get through the barriers at Parkway I must already have a ticket - thus my ticket must be invalid as I have just bought it.

I admitted my guilt and co-operated from the beginning with him (something he said will help me) and I should expect a letter and thus fine in the coming weeks.

He also added this is a civil matter not a criminal matter so I should not worry about an impending criminal record.

Lesson can be considered: learnt.

After parousing this site, my stomach is now turning more than a tumble drier... I really cannot have a criminal record to my name and to be very honest will struggle to pay the fine too!

Can anybody offer any advice as to what I should do now?

Sincerely,

A very VERY worried 18 year old
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
As you say you have perused this forum then you will know to wait for the letter to arrive before any more advice can be given really as people will want to know what it says before they can attempt to help you.

I won't berate you for your actions because its not worth it but I'm sure someone will be along to do so soon.

Don't let it worry you though, if you have learned your lesson then that's a good thing so that you don't do it again.
 

WorriedWorker

New Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
3
Thanks for the reply.

The part that I am confused about is the man specifically told me that it was a civil NOT a criminal matter and I definitely wouldn't be getting a criminal record... but from what I've read it seems I might do?
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
That all depends on what they say in the letter. No one is a mind reader.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
However bear in mind that you've given Northern an easy Regulation of Railways 5.3a Prosecution, as you clearly showed intent to avoid payment of the fare due by admitting to naming a false starting station. This offence carries a criminal record and fine if the prosecution is sucessful.

As Clip says though, better wait for the letter and see the contents before worrying too much!
 

WorriedWorker

New Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
3
Well for now I am purchasing a season ticket card - hopefully this will support my case if they do contact me.

Again, thank you for your replies - it is much appreciated.
 

Ferret

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2009
Messages
4,131
Well for now I am purchasing a season ticket card - hopefully this will support my case if they do contact me.

While that's good, it is very much closing the stable door after the horse has bolted so far as your current predicament is concerned.

It is a very simple s5 Regulation of Railways Act prosecution for intent to avoid the fare if that's how the railway company want to play it, and yes that would carry a criminal record upon conviction. As you say you have read other threads, I'm sure by now you are well aware of what steps others have taken in similar circumstances to yourself to avoid the worst consequences, and ensure it is purely a financial matter, rather than something with lasting consequences.
 

156441

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2011
Messages
501
Location
Manchester
Will be interesting to see which prosecutions team picks it up if he did travel on EMT or LM as the revenue team at Lime Street are Northern G4S.
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Will be interesting to see which prosecutions team picks it up if he did travel on EMT or LM as the revenue team at Lime Street are Northern G4S.
It would be whichever TOC questioned the offender... Or at least that's how it should pan out. Irrespective of which company's train was used, it's the TOC at the station whom would be doing the reporting, and subsequently the prosecuting. Administratively much easier this way.

OP, it's worth pointing out that unless you were issed a Penalty Fare or unpaid Fare Notice, it's a Criminal Offence you have been reported for and not a Civil one (as the staff member seems to have indicated). Should you be prosecuted, it'll be done through the Magistrates' Court and not the County Court. This is the same for any ignored Penalty Fares or Unpaid Fare Noticed, as these, although civil remedies, would be cancelled and prosecuted using Railway Byelaws. The offence being prosecuted would differ depending on evidence though, and may not result in a recorded criminal record, although both Byelaws and the more serious Regulation of Railways Act 1889 are both criminal acts). The staff member was wrong to go in to this much detail to be honest, unless h/she was responsible for the prosecution porocess from their report to the potential issue of a summons, as it's out of their hands once the report has been submitted, and it's up to Northern to do as they see fit, which may not involve courts or other remedies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top