• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Workington to Liverpool South Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald2007

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
108
I'm looking for best First Class fare on WKG to LPY for Thu 17 Nov one way, with 16-25 Railcard.

I don't mind to book a F class ticket to say Warrington or Preston and separate in STD class if the savings overall are good.

I had some problems to get TPE to show who appear to operate the only F Class service on Warrington to Liverpool South.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
One option would be a £15.20 first-class Workington-Liverpool South Parkway Advance (price includes 16-25 railcard discount). I searched using the National Rail Enquiries journey planner, using the Advanced options to specify TPE as my train operator of preference.

That price is offered for the 0831 and 0922 departures changing at Carlisle and Manchester Oxford Road, and for the 1331 departure changing at Carlisle and Warrington (with a walk between the two Warrington stations).

I put the ticket in the NRE basket, then clicked on the basket, then chose my retailer of preference (I used VTEC because journey itineraries tend not to be lost on clicking through to them).

EDIT: I have just realised that £15.20 is a standard class fare - apologies. But it's a good price.

FURTHER EDIT: but there's a £20.45 first class advance on the 0922 and a £22.45 first class advance on the 1055 changing at Carlisle and Warrington and a £20.45 advance on the 1414 changing at Carlisle and M/Cr Oxford Rd and similar prices on later trains
 
Last edited:

bradford758

Member
Joined
26 May 2016
Messages
226
Just wondering when they decided that first class fares were allowed to have a 16-25 discount??
When I held one of these (the students rail card as known) it was limited before 10 am and not valid in first class (only senior rail card valid)

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
As I understand it, the only first-class fares that attract 16-25 discounts are first-class "Advance" fares. I have no idea off-hand whether their being discounted with a 16-25 railcard is something recent or has always been possible.
 

donald2007

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
108
Thank you for your helpful post Romilly. I got one of the £20.45 tickets.

What I find interesting is how you can build a journey that suits the particular advanced inventory that is available on a certain train by using extra time to change, choosing certain operators and adding via/avoid. Its a bit like building segments on a multi-sector flight that has certain layovers that suit better (cheaper) availability.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top