• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

working on a Heritage railway ,the benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Joined
20 Oct 2012
Messages
4,563
I have read the report and I've read his background which is the more concerning actually that an ex proffesional could get like that. I really did question whether it was the preserved line culture that did that. In the proffesional world if we don't follow procedures properly and cause an accident then our job and livelihood is on the line whereas a volunteer can simply walk away. It's a serious point. I'm no way suggesting that every preserved line and every volunteer has such a lax attitude to safety but even one is too many!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
1,358
I have read the report and I've read his background which is the more concerning actually that an ex proffesional could get like that. I really did question whether it was the preserved line culture that did that. In the proffesional world if we don't follow procedures properly and cause an accident then our job and livelihood is on the line whereas a volunteer can simply walk away. It's a serious point. I'm no way suggesting that every preserved line and every volunteer has such a lax attitude to safety but even one is too many!

Not so. The consequences can be just as serious, ie individual prosecution. These people are doing the job because the WANT to. The reward is job satisfaction. Remember, the NYMR has volunteers allowed out onto the mainline network.

A personal view - I would suggest, that one of the biggest challenges for the heritage outfits, is the loss of people onto the mainline network. Since the big railway job market opened up post privatisation, ie you could start much later in life, plenty of people who were regular volunteers, or were potential or actual paid staff, have gone mainline. Especially true of the brighter young ones.
 
Last edited:

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
I have read the report and I've read his background which is the more concerning actually that an ex proffesional could get like that. I really did question whether it was the preserved line culture that did that. In the proffesional world if we don't follow procedures properly and cause an accident then our job and livelihood is on the line whereas a volunteer can simply walk away. It's a serious point. I'm no way suggesting that every preserved line and every volunteer has such a lax attitude to safety but even one is too many!

You get just the same on the national network though - the difference being they tend to get caught a bit more quickly, I guess. There's plenty of cowboys around. Heritage lines are/have been kicked into shape by the ORR with the requirement for SMS and other things being monitored and improvement notices being issued/operations being closed down. But you have to remember that the likes of Network Rail have got plenty of improvement notices themselves (and who can forget shenanigans like, for example, the track gang in Birmingham who ****ted a train with a rail and tried to cover it up).

As a safety critical worker on both the national network and a heritage railway (I've worked on 3 to date doing one thing or another from signalman to trackwork) in various roles you see good examples and bad examples of people and practices.
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
During nights on the Maintenance Depot Driving I have come across a mix of cowboys and people who do the job properly, in all roles from Fitters to Maintenance Depot Drivers (including a certain "minder" Driver a constant cowboy whenever a DTM isnt there). Intolerence of the rules does not just end at preserved lines. Some people will do as little as they can get away with, even if this means taking short cuts and not doing the job properly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top