• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
My company is transferring the work I do to another company in Guildford.
Currently I commute from Hull to London on a Monday and the reverse on a Friday. This has worked well for nearly six years mostly without problem.
If I move offices it'll mean Monday Hull to Guildford and the reverse on Friday.
I just have visions of this ending up a total nightmare with missed services due to late running and cancellations. Am I being too negative?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
Provided you have allowed enough time to cross London as per your itinerary you will be entitled to take the next available service of your Train Company from Kings Cross (at Waterloo it won't matter). I assume you travel on Advance (specified train only) tickets?
Obviously adding two extra legs to your journey increases the risk of delays and cancellations, but in the London area there are plenty of workarounds to mitigate these. In that respect it is better than the East Coast route, and at least yiu will be going against the flow out of Waterloo.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
Thanks. The worry about missed services is really more to do with getting home even later rather than not being able to board. Currently I get the 17:19 from Kings X but the new office is insisting I leave no earlier than 4pm so there's no way I'd get that.
Just a right pain in the rear as far as I'm concerned.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,159
1617 Guildford arrives Waterloo at 1653. If you're fleet of foot this is ample time to get to Kings Cross for the 1719.

Note that this isn't an official connection and wouldn't really be suitable if using Advance tickets but it is possible.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
Yes, AP tickets and there's no way I'd get from the business park to the station in 17 minutes.
 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
Now into the 3rd week of the relocation and I'm fed up already with the travelling to/from Hull Monday and Friday and to/from Willesden Green the other weekdays. :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top