• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work life balance for signaller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie P

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2017
Messages
22
Hi..can any current signallers give me an insight as to how your shifts and time off marry up together please? I am looking to leave a secure job as a firefighter which provides me a 4 on 4 off rota and is very family friendly. I am just trying to get all my facts together before actually making the decision to jump ship. All your comments and experiences through different grades would be appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2016
Messages
311
Location
England
Hi..can any current signallers give me an insight as to how your shifts and time off marry up together please? I am looking to leave a secure job as a firefighter which provides me a 4 on 4 off rota and is very family friendly. I am just trying to get all my facts together before actually making the decision to jump ship. All your comments and experiences through different grades would be appreciated.

Best thing you can do is read the 'A career as a signaller' thread! It has all the information you require
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,489
Location
Powys
It would be useful to know where in the country you are looking as shift patterns can vary regionally, and even between different Boxes.

For example, most of the Boxes along the Marches line run 12 hour shifts, 0600 - 1800 - 0600 on a 4 week rotation, so you end up working 14 days in every 28. I have never seen a 4 on/4 off pattern; it is a little more complictaded than that. Mine was 4N, 7off, 4D, 3off, 3N, 1off, 3D, 3off, then repeat. A similar pattern was worked in South Wales. That includes Sundays that are rostered as overtime and you are expected to work them unless you can arrange cover yourself.

Scotland's 12 hour shifts ran 1200 - 2400 - 1200!

8 hour shift patterns seem a lot more comlicated and one I would not have wanted to work.
 

Richie P

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2017
Messages
22
It would be useful to know where in the country you are looking as shift patterns can vary regionally, and even between different Boxes.

For example, most of the Boxes along the Marches line run 12 hour shifts, 0600 - 1800 - 0600 on a 4 week rotation, so you end up working 14 days in every 28. I have never seen a 4 on/4 off pattern; it is a little more complictaded than that. Mine was 4N, 7off, 4D, 3off, 3N, 1off, 3D, 3off, then repeat. A similar pattern was worked in South Wales. That includes Sundays that are rostered as overtime and you are expected to work them unless you can arrange cover yourself.

Scotland's 12 hour shifts ran 1200 - 2400 - 1200!

8 hour shift patterns seem a lot more comlicated and one I would not have wanted to work.
Thanks mate...i am in South Wales where I am looking at a couple of vacancies, but also looking as far as Cambridge and Norwich to get my foot in the door. I will read the post mentioned above again to see what I have missed. Grateful for your reply...and everyone else too.
 

Southernsig

Member
Joined
9 May 2017
Messages
102
Some single man box 8 hr rosters are nothing short of brutal! 12 hrs are definatly far more friendly. That being said progression can be extremely quick if you want to be when signalling so if its something you really want to do it might be worth putting up with an 8 hr roster to begin with and moving on to a location with 12's in the future!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top