• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worcester to Bristol - valid route via Bromsgrove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol Rover

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2009
Messages
82
I occasionally need to travel from Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads in the early part of the evening (often around 5:30/6ish).

The two options presented by the National Rail Enquiries search are:

17:02 gets in at 18:38
19:03 gets in at 20:39

So not a great service!

In the past, the National Rail WAP site, which I used to access on my phone, has given an option going via Bromsgrove.

17:24 WOF, arrives Bromsgrove 17:42, leaves Bromsgrove 17:52, gets into Bristol at 19:05 (change at Cheltenham).

18:24 WOF, arrives Bromsgrove 18:42, leaves Bromsgrove 18:51, gets into Bristol at 20:09 (change at Cheltenham).

So going via Bromsgrove does provide additional options.

The question is - is this a valid route? The anytime return ticket says 'not Birmingham', and in the past, going via Bromsgrove has appeared on the National Rail options.

I have done it a few times before, but only once did I have my ticket checked (no objections raised by the guard).

Would like clarification before attempting it again.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
No longer permitted due to a negative easement.
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
But ... an Anytime Day Single from Worcester to Bromsgrove is £4, and tickets from Bromsgrove to Bristol Temple Meads seem to be at the same price as Worcester-Bristol tickets, so you can travel via Bromsgrove using the £4 single and a Bromsgrove-Bristol ticket.

According to the East Coast website, a Bromsgrove-Bristol ticket is valid via Worcester so if it was a day return it would be valid for travelling back from Bristol to Worcester the same evening. Although, as the last train back from Bristol to Worcester appears to be at 2041, I assume that you aren't coming back by train.
 

Bristol Rover

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2009
Messages
82
Excellent suggestion Romilly. I'm actually travelling from Bristol to Worcester and back (day trip), but the Bromsgrove diversion is only worthwhile on the return journey, so thought I'd keep the thread simple.

I can buy an off peak day return from Bristol to Bromsgrove, break the outward leg at Worcester, and then complete the journey via Bromsgrove (if required) on the way home at 5ish

Sorted!

£12.70 is excellent value.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
The easement only applies from Hereford to Worcester. Your best place to split would be Droitwich.
 
Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
Glad to help. The restriction code for a Bristol-Bromsgrove offpeak day return is W5 which simply says that the ticket is not valid on trains timed to depart before 0830, so there are no restrictions on break of journey.
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
This easement drives me up the wall, I regularly travel from Malvern to Cheltenham to connect with Cross Country and being able to change at Bromsgrove would be most useful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top