• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to Shoreham tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
I am looking to travel from Woking to Shoreham-by-Sea and return from Christs Hospital, having walked a section of the Downs Link, and I'm having trouble getting any results from the routeing guide calculator (to determine routes that way) or get a booking engine (trainscanbecheaper, saying it couldn't plan the outward journey [for which I didn't put in the via Horsham]) to give me an answer to this, so I'm going to ask here, can I start short at Christ's Hospital on the return journey or will I need to but a different combination of tickets to allow me to do this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
For Woking-Shoreham, only Brighton passes the fares check as a destination routeing point and theres no mapped route back from there via Christs Hospital. (Nor is it on the shortest route.)


I would look at Woking to Worthing return (same price as Shoreham assuming you're looking at for day return.)
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
I think that a Woking to Angmering return ticket may be what you need: so far as I can see it will allow you to travel Woking-Clapham Junction-Haywards Heath-Hove-Shoreham on the outward journey, and Christ's Hospital-Leatherhead-Guildford-Woking (or Christ's Hospital-Dorking-Deepdene-Guildford-Woking) on the return journey.
 

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
So Woking to Angerming (same price as to SSE at £20.00) works for what I want to do (I don't mind if it's a walk at Dorking or via Leatherhead, though I haven't ever done Leatherhead to Guildford so if it isn't too much longer I may do that!) - thanks @Romilly
 

ChrisC

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2018
Messages
2,267
Location
Nottinghamshire
I don’t know if this is any help.
Next week I’m staying in Shoreham and planning to do a day walking in the Box Hill area. I have found the return fares from Shoreham to both Dorking and Leatherhead very reasonable. They are valid via Christ’s Hospital and so splitting at Dorking or Leatherhead could work.
 

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
Thanks for all the help, is the Angmering ticket valid via Horsham and Gatwick Airport?
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Thanks for all the help, is the Angmering ticket valid via Horsham and Gatwick Airport?
Yes, traceable on maps LB+SC (they are an ex-London map combination coming from the LONDON option in the Yellow Pages; you don't need to actually go via London to use them).
 

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
Yes, traceable on maps LB+SC (they are an ex-London map combination coming from the LONDON option in the Yellow Pages; you don't need to actually go via London to use them).
So you mean that is Angmering - Ford - Horsham - Gatwick - Clapham Junction - Woking and that it is valid on a NOT VIA LONDON ticket, which would be surprising if the route is LONDON in the yellow pages?
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
So you mean that is Angmering - Ford - Horsham - Gatwick - Clapham Junction - Woking and that it is valid on a NOT VIA LONDON ticket, which would be surprising if the route is LONDON in the yellow pages?
This very subject has arisen before. You are permitted to use routes that are only given by virtue of a LONDON route in the Yellow Pages, even on a 'NOT VIA LONDON' ticket, provided you don't actually go via London. The route you are suggesting is a perfectly reasonable route too, and you are staying within the spirit and letter of the restriction by changing at Clapham Junction. If they didn't even want you to do that, they would have to introduce a cheaper 'NOT VIA CLAPHAM J' ticket.
 

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
This very subject has arisen before. You are permitted to use routes that are only given by virtue of a LONDON route in the Yellow Pages, even on a 'NOT VIA LONDON' ticket, provided you don't actually go via London. The route you are suggesting is a perfectly reasonable route too, and you are staying within the spirit and letter of the restriction by changing at Clapham Junction. If they didn't even want you to do that, they would have to introduce a cheaper 'NOT VIA CLAPHAM J' ticket.

I agree with you, FTLO.

However, it's probably worth pointing out that some forum members (and presumably some rail staff) believe that you cannot use the LONDON yellow pages combinations on a route:Not Via London ticket.

See the posts immediately following this one..

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trainsplit-v2.149312/page-3#post-3114406
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top