undetected
New Member
Hello all
I have been knowingly fare dodging on the WMR line into Euston for quite a while. I have never been caught, but am terrified of this happening and would really appreciate any insight into the mechanisms behind it.
I am concerned that I am being investigated since submitting a false Delay Repay on the app in late 2024 - my app now shows an RR1 code and states I should phone them (I won't). After a recent self audit of my journey history, I realised the true terrible extent of my fare dodging (four digits). I cannot believe how awful it is and am so, so mortified at myself. If I could, I would proactively approach WMR to square this at any premium because the guilt, stress and shame is overwhelming. My worry escalated to the point that I thought station staff were monitoring me and I can no longer bring myself to travel on the train.
I sought legal advice from a solicitor specialising in this area where I learnt of the severity of my offending. I was advised not to approach WMR whatsoever, switch from WMR app to Trainline app and of course pay for all fares going forward. I was also given advice on what to do if/when I am approached in person. I will follow this advice to the tee. However, the thought of getting approached in person is making me sick with worry, and I cannot even imagine how distressed I will be if threatening letters start coming through. I cannot travel by train because of this and have been WFH/driving, but this isn't sustainable.
My queries and concerns are - how do I know if I am being investigated? What does a WMR investigation entail? Will there be surveillance/operations to specifically catch me in person? What comes before the tap on the shoulder - how will they know who to approach in person based on app details? Even if I never travel on that route again, am I still at risk of a letter coming in the post, or for someone to visit my home address/place of work? And if I do start travelling on that line again, with a valid ticket, can they still approach me over my past journey history even when holding a valid ticket? Or do they have to catch me in breach of T&C's before being able to put past matters to me? Ideally I would like to travel on this train again, but am too scared to do so.
I would be really grateful for any advice because I cannot stop thinking about this and am living in a state of fear. Throughout my time fare dodging, I have experienced some exceptionally difficult personal circumstances which the solicitor stated will probably invoke leniency meaning I should be able to avoid prosecution, but I am not detailing them here because they do not excuse my past actions. And even if leniency is shown, this will not be until after the tap on the shoulder and it is this that I am most afraid of right now. I will happily pay any fine for the relief of no longer having this hanging over me, but cannot approach WMR for fear of incriminating myself, so am in limbo wondering when/if I will be caught.
I have been knowingly fare dodging on the WMR line into Euston for quite a while. I have never been caught, but am terrified of this happening and would really appreciate any insight into the mechanisms behind it.
I am concerned that I am being investigated since submitting a false Delay Repay on the app in late 2024 - my app now shows an RR1 code and states I should phone them (I won't). After a recent self audit of my journey history, I realised the true terrible extent of my fare dodging (four digits). I cannot believe how awful it is and am so, so mortified at myself. If I could, I would proactively approach WMR to square this at any premium because the guilt, stress and shame is overwhelming. My worry escalated to the point that I thought station staff were monitoring me and I can no longer bring myself to travel on the train.
I sought legal advice from a solicitor specialising in this area where I learnt of the severity of my offending. I was advised not to approach WMR whatsoever, switch from WMR app to Trainline app and of course pay for all fares going forward. I was also given advice on what to do if/when I am approached in person. I will follow this advice to the tee. However, the thought of getting approached in person is making me sick with worry, and I cannot even imagine how distressed I will be if threatening letters start coming through. I cannot travel by train because of this and have been WFH/driving, but this isn't sustainable.
My queries and concerns are - how do I know if I am being investigated? What does a WMR investigation entail? Will there be surveillance/operations to specifically catch me in person? What comes before the tap on the shoulder - how will they know who to approach in person based on app details? Even if I never travel on that route again, am I still at risk of a letter coming in the post, or for someone to visit my home address/place of work? And if I do start travelling on that line again, with a valid ticket, can they still approach me over my past journey history even when holding a valid ticket? Or do they have to catch me in breach of T&C's before being able to put past matters to me? Ideally I would like to travel on this train again, but am too scared to do so.
I would be really grateful for any advice because I cannot stop thinking about this and am living in a state of fear. Throughout my time fare dodging, I have experienced some exceptionally difficult personal circumstances which the solicitor stated will probably invoke leniency meaning I should be able to avoid prosecution, but I am not detailing them here because they do not excuse my past actions. And even if leniency is shown, this will not be until after the tap on the shoulder and it is this that I am most afraid of right now. I will happily pay any fine for the relief of no longer having this hanging over me, but cannot approach WMR for fear of incriminating myself, so am in limbo wondering when/if I will be caught.