• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Witness statement from southeast today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ope

New Member
Joined
3 Sep 2024
Messages
1
Location
chatham
I just got a witness statement from southeast today, i was coming from Alysford to strood, I initially bought a ticket but it wasn’t checked so I requested for a refund when I got down from the train , I bought another ticket to Chatham from strood, when I got to Chatham my bar code was checked by the officer and I was asked for my details, asked my some questions with the recording on and issued me a witness statement..
I’m a bit scare and want to know exactly what to expect and if there a way to avoid getting a criminal record

Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
Welcome to the forum!

Southeastern will write to you in the next few weeks saying that they have received a report and are considering prosecuting you but asking for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. I suggest writing a short, concise reply mantioning the following points:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Although we cannot guarantee it, Southeastern are normally prepared to offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate with their investigation and who haven't come to their attention before. Expect to have to pay the cost of the fare avoided at the full Anytime rate in addition to an admin fee, typically around £150.

Have you done this sort of thing before? Southeastern can audit your online ticket purchasing history and if this shows similar incidents then they are likely to want to factor these into the cost of the out of court settlement.

When it arrives, post a copy of Southeastern's letter in this thread, with personal details redacted, along with your draft reply and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top