• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wires down in Thackley tunnel Airedale Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
On a 142 Leeds to Skipton. Hard emergency stop in Thackley tunnel. Sounds like wires down. Not moving.

Pulled out of tunnel, might need some new wheels I think these are square now!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
On a 142 Leeds to Skipton. Hard emergency stop in Batley tunnel. Sounds like wires down. Not moving.

Pulled out of tunnel, might need some new wheels I think these are square now!

Thackley tunnel, if it's on the Airedale line.
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Powered through and back under way although the unit sounds like a bag o spanners. Southbound 333 was still sat at Shipley.
 

londiscape

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2013
Messages
296
Location
SW London
I thought the line through Batley didn't have any wires - was on it last year when up in Huddersfield for work. I remember a big tunnel just after Morley. Is this line electrified now?
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,506
Location
Cheshire
The problem is ongoing this morning, with seemingly little moving through Shipley expect a shuttle service between Shipley & Bradford FS.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/79081.aspx

Although confusingly it states that services between Skipton & Leeds will be diverted, I can't quite see what route they could take apart from via Baildon & Guiseley which isn't showing up on RTT at the moment.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,506
Location
Cheshire
NR now reporting that the issues will continue until further notice, changed from a resolution ETA of 09:00 this morning.
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,047
Weirdly the 08:26 Leeds to Skipton departed bang on time, then started to take the diversion via Guiseley but it got stuck just outside for almost 50 minutes, then in to Shipley at last about an hour late.

Meant I got an extra hour's kip at least before work :lol:
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,506
Location
Cheshire
I have been told to not expect normal services to resume for the rest of today!

Northern are now saying that the line has repoened, but they are not yet running a normal service & there are still no services running directly between Shipley & Leeds. I guess it might take a fair bit of time to get staff & units into the right positions, as well as engineers making their final checks on the works done in the tunnel. I'll be playing it by ear this afternoon for my commute home, and depending on how the running is between 16:00-17:00 I may end up on the bus home (fingers crossed this isn't the case, the 737 run by Yorkshire Tiger is, well not terribly reliable).

http://www.northernrail.org/news/7484
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Things are just about back to normal @ BDQ, with most units just about back in place. So no bus for me tonight! :D
 

johntea

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
3,047
Started getting back to normal around 1pm as I had a trip to Bingley and back.

Talking of Bingley, I found the following at Bingley station quite odd!

 

northernchris

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
1,559
I was caught in this today. Arrived in Bradford around 75 minutes late having taken just under an hour to get from Keighley to Shipley with no info at all from the conductor. Luckily Shipley was more organised with extra staff including managers on hand and taxis were being provided for Baildon and Guiseley passengers. There was still some disruption late afternoon with the 1546 Bradford - Ilkley and 1611 Bradford - Skipton being cancelled
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,506
Location
Cheshire
I was caught in this today. Arrived in Bradford around 75 minutes late having taken just under an hour to get from Keighley to Shipley with no info at all from the conductor. Luckily Shipley was more organised with extra staff including managers on hand and taxis were being provided for Baildon and Guiseley passengers. There was still some disruption late afternoon with the 1546 Bradford - Ilkley and 1611 Bradford - Skipton being cancelled

The 16:11 Skipton is usually formed from a unit which usually arrives at Forster Square as an ECS during the morning, so that one was always a knocking bet for being cancelled (although it has been known for the 16:16 to Ilkley to be cancelled & the unit be used on the Skipton, although with the 15:46 being off that would have caused some issues). But by the time I arrived for the 16:44 Ilkley, services were just about back to normal although the 17:01 for Leeds was already stabled on platform 3 instead of being formed from an incoming Ilkley service.
 

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,662
Started getting back to normal around 1pm as I had a trip to Bingley and back.

Talking of Bingley, I found the following at Bingley station quite odd!


Very sensible step. Stops people wandering in buying tickets, heading to platform then returning to booking office and blaming the staff for delaying their journey even more

It also means that staff can give them options eg Get on the Leeds bus here, get on the Leeds bus in Shipley or Good Luck and get the train
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top