• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Williams Review - In a few weeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
5,117
Location
Great Britain
I don't think I mind the operator taking the risk and profits if they run things properly. Virgin and Stagecoach did a fantastic job on the WCML and Stagecoach did relatively well with EMT and SWT. IF they do a good job, they should be under the current system however this 'new' system should be the backup and part of the franchise agreement is that if you can't meet the performance targets then you will be put into this model instead with no compensation.

That is the agreement, work hard and earn profits or run a shoddy service and end up with the 'new' system.

I know Stagecoach and Virgin didn't do too well on the ECML however from what I saw, that was due to both Gov and them getting figures wrong and it being based on infrastructure improvements which weren't completed.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
I know Stagecoach and Virgin didn't do too well on the ECML however from what I saw, that was due to both Gov and them getting figures wrong and it being based on infrastructure improvements which weren't completed.
That's what Stagecoach/Virgin would have you believe, but (for instance) they bid a huge increase in patronage from their brilliant marketing, which didn't exactly happen.

They're not the only TOC guilty of over-estimating advertising returns mind you.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Passenger numbers were up 10% over the three years they were in charge, but it was during a time the London market was collapsing with big like for like falls in London based Tocs and that did drag them down a bit.
 

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
Passenger numbers were up 10% over the three years they were in charge, but it was during a time the London market was collapsing with big like for like falls in London based Tocs and that did drag them down a bit.
But how much of an increase did they bid? And were passenger kms up by the same amount? One issue I've seen on some TOCs is that the average journey length has been falling.

As far as London was concerned, at least all the TOCs I've looked at, there wasn't a drop in journeys, just a marked slowdown in growth - once you normalised for events.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top