• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will we ever see DB 67s + LHCS on XC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXEA!

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2009
Messages
486
NXEA!, for the seating,what about the wheelchair spaces? Or the accesible toilets?

And what about the dwell times and lower acceleratioN compared to 22x series trains? What about joining and splitting units for each service? I read about alot of people saying LHCS is better because they're easily reconfigurable. Uncoupling and shunting locomotives/dvts/carriages is easy?! It's far easier for two MU to join and split for different services.

It's all well and good to say some MK3s have more seating, but it's not all about seating. The extensive use of MU stock came about for sensible reasons
Yeah I know mate, I was just saying that actually the Mark 3's have more seating than was thought when compared to a 220. Of course they're more flexible in that respect with the splitting and joining. As for acceleration, the 220/221's probably have superior acceleration, but if the 67's acceleration is anything like people are making it out to be, it may not lose too much time. I realise they're not exactly DDA compliant, I wasn't campaigning for their use on XC I was just saying that they actually have a better/similar capacity in response to what was said earlier. :)
The only advantage the Mark 3's have from the flexibility side of things is that a different coach can be added to the rake at the depot if one develops problems, whereas a Multiple Unit would usually have to be taken out of traffic depending on how bad the fault is. :)

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
Only when you get to Westerleigh Jn on the GWML, nothing south of Cheltenham is 125mph. Most of it is 90. There is a scheme to get chunks of it up to 100mph.



Nothing more than 95 HST south of Leamington to Heyford, and a paltry 4 miles of 110 HST between Tackley and Wolvercot.

I am sure I remember reading about the by - pass line frim Didcot to Oxford being made into 125mph lines so years back before the Voyagers were introduced?
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
I am sure I remember reading about the by - pass line frim Didcot to Oxford being made into 125mph lines so years back before the Voyagers were introduced?

Voyagers are usually sent down the slow between Didcot & Reading.

Which is a shame really as they can really fly down the fasts if they get the opportunity (but that usually means sitting outside Oxford or Reading for 10 minutes waiting for a platform).
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
Nope, the avoiders at Didcot are 70. Didcot to Oxford is 90.

So why was there a lot of fuss about the Class 221 Voyagers being able to tilt on the Didcot avoiding line then, if they can only get up to 90 mph when they were introduced?
 

hello

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2008
Messages
231
the only lines on western region where voyagers can do 125 is didcot to reading on the main, all other 125 sections on western voyagers are limited to 100
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,728
the only lines on western region where voyagers can do 125 is didcot to reading on the main, all other 125 sections on western voyagers are limited to 100

Eh ?? where does it say that then ??
 

hello

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2008
Messages
231
it says it in places that you dont obviously have access to. thats what makes me laugh about this place, its full of wannabes that know nothing, but make out they know everything, and just sit here all day quite happily speculating about things, and thinking of stupid things to type about :D
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,728
Ha ! I apologise and take it all back, its hidden nicely in the route clearance, what a truly bonkers restriction. Thats changed since I last looked.
 
Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
um hello, I think you'll find The Planner is not a wannabe. Many are, but he's not...
 

Voyager 2093

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2007
Messages
494
Location
London
I really have to second jopsuk's post, the planner is definitely not a 'wannabe', I don't suggest that you lash out on members when questioned about your info 'hello' its really unprofessional and quite defensive!
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
The Planner has already pointed out he has made a simple error as changes have occurred to the route clearance of the route in question and ought not to have been rudely labelled as a wannabe.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
The Planner has already pointed out he has made a simple error as changes have occurred to the route clearance of the route in question and ought not to have been rudely labelled as a wannabe.

+1

May I also say its refreshing to see someone on a forum like this react gracefully when later found out to be wrong - too many people are blinkered when it comes to these things
 

hello

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2008
Messages
231
clearances have not been altered, theyve never been cleared to do 125 on any other western route apart from didcot - reading (main lines)
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
Does that four coaches include a restaurant coach?

Because if so you're talking something six coaches in length (67 + four coaches + DVT) with seating for only three coaches worth of passengers...

Given the weight and space of a separate engine/ DVT, I'd concentrate any loco-hauled ideas on eight/nine coach services (which is why I'm surprised at Chiltern's short rake)

You are confusing Chiltern sets with WSMR sets. The Chiltern sets will be 67 + 6 coaches + DVT, in fact the unrefurbished set used for the Banbury - MYB service is already in this formation. Chiltern have also looked at rebuilding the DVTs as passenger carrying vehicles for the refurbished sets. I don't know at the present time if this is still going ahead or if it has proved to be too difficult.
 

Trainbuff

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2011
Messages
120
Location
Plymouth
You are going to laugh at this but there is one place where XC Voyagers can potentially do 125MPH. It is however very short and I do not know if the unit would have time to accelerate and the decellerate in time. The section I refer to is on the Down line only between Westerleigh Junction and Bristol Parkway (as you come off the Junction the 125 board is just there.

Of course there are sections of 110MPH running. A reasonable one of course is between Uphill Junction and the approach to Bridgwater
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,875
Location
Rugby
You are confusing Chiltern sets with WSMR sets. The Chiltern sets will be 67 + 6 coaches + DVT, in fact the unrefurbished set used for the Banbury - MYB service is already in this formation. Chiltern have also looked at rebuilding the DVTs as passenger carrying vehicles for the refurbished sets. I don't know at the present time if this is still going ahead or if it has proved to be too difficult.

Are you sure about that? Someone I know at Chiltern said the mark 3 sets will be the same length as the WSMR sets
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
MR last month and this month noted the Chiltern sets as 6 , with last month carriage numbers as well.
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
Are you sure about that? Someone I know at Chiltern said the mark 3 sets will be the same length as the WSMR sets

Well, that is the word amongst the drivers, but don't take it as gospel. The grapevine has been known to be wrong.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
The rule book is specific over HST (class 91 locomotive with mark 4 vehicles and DVT,168/170/171/175/180/220/221/222/253/254/373/390).

158's can also take HST differentials. IIRR other Sprinters can too, but i'll have to get my book out to confirm that one.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Is there anywhere with an HST limit where the standard lmit would actually limit a 158 (90mph IIRC) let alone the other Sprinters (75mph aren't they?)
 

Trainbuff

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2011
Messages
120
Location
Plymouth
I dont know if there is any track past Birmingham where they can do 125mph as I dont sign the road there! Althoughth looking at the other posts I believe that between Birmingham and Derby they can
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top