matacaster
On Moderation
I think it will be tedious to be honest. A major part of leisure travel is the varied view etc. In fairness, If you just want to go from a to b, it won't matter.
I've never found travel "exhausting" beyond the amount of time it takes, although the tube does feel slightly longer because its slower. To me, generally 60 minutes feels like 60 minutes but then I'm normally listening to music / on my phone; even though I might look out occasionally it forms a fairly insignificant part of my journey (with travel time, cost, comfort, space, facilities all scoring much higher), but I appreciate everyone is different.
I travelled London to Ashford on HS1 a couple of years back, with a relative who isn’t into railways in any way. After getting off at Ashford he remarked “what a horrible boring journey that was”. Yet he was perfectly happy later the same day to be on an Electrostar from Hastings to Charing Cross which called virtually everywhere and took four or five times as long.
A lot of people do like to window-gaze. Likewise a drive up the A1 is so much less tedious than a run along something like the M4 which, from the M25 to Bristol at least, is pretty featureless.
Will it be a major issue for HS2? Probably not, as people will appreciate the speed. It will quite probably be something some people pass comment on, though.