• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wildlife Encounters on the Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

D854_Tiger

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2022
Messages
28
Location
UK
One of my colleagues worked on a railway project in California.

Even though he was pretty much totally office based he had to do the obligatory one day trackside awareness course.

Reaching the final section of the course notes he was presented by fifteen flavours of how to die horribly and alone.

You name it they've got it, out in the desert, there were eight types of rattlesnake, venomous centipedes, scorpions etc etc not to mention the mountain lions, apparently rattlesnakes are quite partial to trackside cabinets to build their nests.

Not so bad in the UK, but there are things both ugly and most beautiful that use our railways as a safe haven, any tales.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2015
Messages
1,694
There are a lot of adders around the Berks and Hants, I saw 6 walking a 2 mile stretch one day. Heard a few more in the grass as well.
Grass snakes and slow worms would also come out and bask on the concrete troughing routes or the foot of the rail as well.

Plenty of deer around, and I've seen the odd couple of badgers too.

Rodents, flies and wasps all like living in location cases. It's incredible how many flies you can get in one place sometimes, and they have a particular love of getting into polythene document wallets for some reason. It's not too bad when it's cold and they're all docile, but less pleasant when it's a bit warmer. I've also had birds in disconnection boxes and signal heads, that's a bit of a shock when you're a couple of meters up in the air and suddenly something's flying at your face!

I've also rescued a bat from being stepped on on a station platform (with gloves on of course), and a sheep in a neighbouring field that was tied up in wire.

My favourite animal encounter though was with two young foxes at an access point that we frequently went to. They were incredibly friendly, and we'd often see them playing together while waiting to get track access. Naturally, we started leaving any leftovers for them, and then discovered that the rest of our department had also started doing the same thing. It got to the point where we'd swear they recognised the sound of our van because they always came over. They'd also sometimes come and "inspect" our point maintenance with us. We got one to eat some raw sausage out of our hands, and he kept nudging at me for more—much like a dog—once it was all finished.
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,442
Location
Stevenage
Two, both modest.

Chemins de fer de la Corse coming to a screeching (but not violent) halt due to sheep. To be fair, the guide books did mention that this was to be expected.

Stopped on the Hertford Loop. Driver explains that there is a horse on the line. Then comes back on to say that the crew of the train coming the other way were putting the horse back in its field.
 

TwoYellas

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2021
Messages
258
Location
Birmingham
Parakeets at Tam'orth. Was shocked to see these tropical birds, had to check online after work and ask a colleague about what they were!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,289
There are a lot of adders around the Berks and Hants, I saw 6 walking a 2 mile stretch one day. Heard a few more in the grass as well.
Grass snakes and slow worms would also come out and bask on the concrete troughing routes or the foot of the rail as well.

Plenty of deer around, and I've seen the odd couple of badgers too.

Rodents, flies and wasps all like living in location cases. It's incredible how many flies you can get in one place sometimes, and they have a particular love of getting into polythene document wallets for some reason. It's not too bad when it's cold and they're all docile, but less pleasant when it's a bit warmer. I've also had birds in disconnection boxes and signal heads, that's a bit of a shock when you're a couple of meters up in the air and suddenly something's flying at your face!

I've also rescued a bat from being stepped on on a station platform (with gloves on of course), and a sheep in a neighbouring field that was tied up in wire.

My favourite animal encounter though was with two young foxes at an access point that we frequently went to. They were incredibly friendly, and we'd often see them playing together while waiting to get track access. Naturally, we started leaving any leftovers for them, and then discovered that the rest of our department had also started doing the same thing. It got to the point where we'd swear they recognised the sound of our van because they always came over. They'd also sometimes come and "inspect" our point maintenance with us. We got one to eat some raw sausage out of our hands, and he kept nudging at me for more—much like a dog—once it was all finished.
Great stories there - thx for posting - some of it sounds worth of a little feature on a future episode of BBC Springwatch!
 

S&CLER

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2020
Messages
787
Location
southport
I've seen an adder basking just east of Foxfield station, on the Cumbrian Coast line, and while waiting at Cromer I saw a small deer, presumably a muntjac, exploring the far end of the platform.
 

youngiecj

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2012
Messages
416
A couple of favourite encounters of mine, a fox just casually wandering down the platform at St Pancras Low Level in the middle of pre-pandemic rush hour! Slightly different setting, opening the doors at Havenhouse to find 2 rather large deer on the platform was bizarre! One of the perks of the job is seeing the nature especially in the early mornings. Still not seen a badger yet!!
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,780
Location
St Albans
During the first Covid lock-down when St Albans South Box was closed and only those close to it could call in for security checks a couple of times a week, a fox family set up a lair under the box as it was so quiet. They were eventually persuaded to leave and we think have now taken up residence in adjacent NR land after we took precautions to stop them getting under the box again!

In the last couple of weeks we've found the remains of several pigeons around our garden; uncertain if this the foxes, cats or birds of prey! We also have a tame robin who loves to supervise those doing gardening works and a blackbird or two.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,341
About the strangest sight I have seen was a fox in the tunnel mouth at the outer end of Liverpool Lime Street. How it got there is a mystery as busy city centre roads surround the station entrance.
 

Ostrich

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2010
Messages
295
A few years ago now, early afternoon, stood by the doors to alight at Mitcham Eastfields station, doors opened - and a fox promptly went racing past up the length of the platform and disappeared off the end into the undergrowth! o_O
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,663
Location
The West Country
Spiders in location cabinets,hiding behind batteries,relays etc. some as big as the palm of your hand. I always bang the cabinets hard before lifting the doors off.
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,780
Location
St Albans
Spiders in location cabinets,hiding behind batteries,relays etc. some as big as the palm of your hand. I always bang the cabinets hard before lifting the doors off.
It amazes me how spiders seem to exist in LOCs. We have one at St Albans South housing the power supply and sequencer for our 1970s Colour Light signal demonstration. The wiring goes out in two conduits and there is nowhere insects could get in, yet whenever we open it up there's always plenty of cobwebs and a couple of spiders! What do they live on?
 

Shimbleshanks

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2012
Messages
1,283
Location
Purley
Back in the days of the old slam-door stock I saw a leopard or cheetah on the lineside somewhere around Wandsworth. But nobody in the compartment believed me; they thought I was raving mad.
Must have been an escaped 'exotic pet', I suppose.
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,911
Travelling on the Breckland line last year, myself and other passengers were alarmed by a banging noise from the underside, that travelled from front to back.
Train didn't slow at all. I was getting off at the next stop, guard was on the back cab so I spoke to him to make sure he was aware, just in case. "It's OK, it was a deer, I did hear it and check".
I don't think there can have been much left o_O
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,777
Location
Newport, South Wales
I saw a couple of deer in the fields adjacent to the Epping Ongar Railway last year; I think they (safely) crossed the line in front of the train, which slowed down to avoid hitting them.

There are now quite a lot of Red Kites in the Machynlleth area on the Cambrian Coast line.
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
I once shared an Underground carriage with a commuting pigeon. Seriously, it hopped in, waited a few stops then hopped out. It knew exactly where it was going!

Railtour quite seriously delayed following a flock of sheep up the Dungeness branch. Said sheep wandered a few steps and stopped, then moved on a bit further when the driver sounded the horn. None of them thought to move off the track!

I saw a bat swoop through Penzance station in the middle of the day. Deer are often visible in the fields carefully watching the train pass by.
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,780
Location
St Albans
I once shared an Underground carriage with a commuting pigeon. Seriously, it hopped in, waited a few stops then hopped out. It knew exactly where it was going!.....
Once I had reached Secondary School age, my parents let me travel on my own from SE London to the Science Museum (via Charing Cross and the Circle line to South Kensington) as they were tired of me dragging them up there every school holiday. Virtually every journey I made on the Circle line saw pigeons hopping on and off the trains as you describe.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,350
Travelling on the Breckland line last year, myself and other passengers were alarmed by a banging noise from the underside, that travelled from front to back.
Train didn't slow at all. I was getting off at the next stop, guard was on the back cab so I spoke to him to make sure he was aware, just in case. "It's OK, it was a deer, I did hear it and check".
I don't think there can have been much left o_O
Going from Narvik (Norway) to Kiruna in Sweden there was a loud rattling from under our coach near the front of the train, then white sticks (bare bones) flying out to the side of the track. On arrival we could see bright red fresh blood on the loco's "cow-catcher."

Later on the Inlandsbahn the train kept slowing for moose. The guard/conductress told us that one of the trains she worked when she first qualified held the record for the number of animals hit or killed! Apparently they like to come out of the forest and hang around on the track because there is a bit of breeze which keeps the mossies off.

(Another railway animal/wildlife encounter on that holiday: the first station out of Gallivare is a low platform in the middle of a bog. You go through a sacking screen into the "Mosquito museum." It does have display cabinets, besides lots of the insects eager to meet you!)
 

alxndr

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2015
Messages
1,694
Spiders in location cabinets,hiding behind batteries,relays etc. some as big as the palm of your hand. I always bang the cabinets hard before lifting the doors off.
Telephones are another thing that are always worth banging before putting to your ear, all sorts of creepycrawlies can end up living in the earpiece, especially on the old ones.

The worst thing you can do is let slip that you're scared of spiders... I don't mind them personally, but it's always a little disconcerting when you can hear the thud as they hit the ground when you sweep them out.
There are now quite a lot of Red Kites in the Machynlleth area on the Cambrian Coast line.
There was a lot between Swindon and Didcot too.

Speaking of birds, I've seen some seagulls swoop at people in Glasgow because they've got too close to where they've been nesting. Not sure where those seagulls were nesting, but I have seen crows make good use of OLE gantries as somewhere to build their nest.
 

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,442
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
I recall DLR being brought to a halt by a swan in the early days. The steward (train captain) happened to be in the front with the panel open, so hit the ESB on seeing the swan occupying the line ahead. Radioed in and got traffic stopped. MoM (or DLR equivalent) was called out but retreated when said bird hissed and flapped at him. Line cleared only after RSPCA netted the swan and removed it to a safer location!
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Re mentions of adders: I gather that "way back when", railwaymen on the Isle of Wight system (trackworkers especially) used to call the Shanklin -- Wroxall section, "Adder Valley". I have a dear relative who lives in Cowes; and is probably one of the greatest ophidiophobes on the planet. She steers well clear of that area of the island !
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,777
Location
Newport, South Wales
A story is told of the chap travelling on a train one day and everything is going fine until a little way into the journey there's a great crashing and banging for a short while, but which then stops and normal service is resumed. The guard walks past a little while later, and the chap asks him what it was all about. "Don't worry, sir, the driver saw a cow ... we had to go across a couple of fields, but we got him!"

Okay, okay, I've got my coat!
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
but I have seen crows make good use of OLE gantries as somewhere to build their nest.
This reminds me that I saw a blue tit pop out of a hole in a post holding level crossing road signs. It disappeared for a bit, then return with nesting materials. Obviously a rusty sign post is des-res if you are a blue tit!

On the Newcastle-Carlisle line there was 'thump, thump, thump' for what seemed like ages; with each thump pheasant feathers fluttered past the window. It was quite a saddening experience, really.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,362
Location
Yorkshire
Back in the days of the old slam-door stock I saw a leopard or cheetah on the lineside somewhere around Wandsworth. But nobody in the compartment believed me; they thought I was raving mad.
Must have been an escaped 'exotic pet', I suppose.
You are Reginald Perrin and I claim my £5. :lol:
 

alxndr

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2015
Messages
1,694
One I saw on Twitter today:

FZFi-dUXEAEzu6z

[Image shows Giant African Tortoise in the 4 foot]

 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,030
Location
Up the creek
At one box I worked there was a summer when you could often see a vixen stalking across the field opposite at dawn with a couple of cubs following in line behind. One of those small pleasures of being up early.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top