• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wifi/WLAN on German public transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Hello all :)

On July 7th, I'm booked on EC 217 for the 0758 Stuttgart - Munich. I'm then on the 1948 Munich - Frankfurt (ICE 522) and on the 8th July, I'm booked on the 1950 Frankfurt - Stuttgart (ICE 693).

Will any of these trains have free/paid for Wifi [W-LAN] onboard, or will it be available at any of the stations I'll be travelling from/to? Alternatively, do any buses in any of the cities have Wifi (similar to Stagecoach in Manchester or Arriva in Liverpool) for passengers?

I'd like to have some (even if limited) internet connectivity throughout my trip for the purpose of looking up local points of interest/local transport/navigation on Google Maps if the printed maps I take aren't sufficient. I don't fancy paying extortionate roaming rates on my 3 SIM.

I've heard that some 1st class lounges at DB stations have Wifi hotspots but all my travel is in Standard! (€19 Aktion-Sparpreis, if that makes a difference).

Apparently McDonalds and Starbucks offer 1 hour of free internet per day to customers, so I could possibly go there as a backup but I've heard you need a German SIM card.

Any pointers welcome :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
There are hotspots at some stations, and you don't need to be a FC passenger to use them - I used the ones at Dusseldorf and Mannheim earlier in the month. From memory, you have to sign in, receive a code by text, and you get 30 minutes free wifi. I also lurked outside McDonalds on a couple of occasions, and was able to gain access there - no need for a German sim.

I didn't find any free Wifi in Std Class on the ICE journey I went on - it may have had some pay access, but I can't remember now!
 

Bavarian

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2014
Messages
17
Hello all :)

On July 7th, I'm booked on EC 217 for the 0758 Stuttgart - Munich. I'm then on the 1948 Munich - Frankfurt (ICE 522) and on the 8th July, I'm booked on the 1950 Frankfurt - Stuttgart (ICE 693).

Will any of these trains have free/paid for Wifi [W-LAN] onboard, or will it be available at any of the stations I'll be travelling from/to? Alternatively, do any buses in any of the cities have Wifi (similar to Stagecoach in Manchester or Arriva in Liverpool) for passengers?

The two ICE services will have Wifi but you'll be charged for it as you're travelling standard class. A day pass costs 4,95 Euros.

Stuttgart, Munich and Frankfurt stations are all equipped with Wifi which is free for 30 minutes as theblackwatch said.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Some ICEs have Wi-Fi, which requires payment in 2nd Class and is free in 1st Class. I can't remember how much is it but it seemed about average. It's not available on all lines.

As mentioned, some DB stations have free Wifi, you do need to sign in through Telekom with a code received by text message though.

Haven't come across Wifi on local public transport, certainly not in Munich or Stuttgart. The vast majority of local and regional public transport is fully regulated to a degree that one sees in London.

Long-distance scheduled coach services (Meinfernbus etc) almost always offer it without charge though.

With a 3 SIM, are you not permitted to buy a Euro Internet Pass for £5 per day? Maybe it's for contract customers only...
 
Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
With a 3 SIM, are you not permitted to buy a Euro Internet Pass for £5 per day? Maybe it's for contract customers only...

Yes, Pay Monthly only. I use my Orange Spain pay as you go SIM card which I got off eBay when in Germany as it gives 100 MB for 1 euro for 24 hours. The good thing is that it just charges you for another 24 hours when you exceed 100 MB. There are OK looking deals from some UK providers for EU roaming, but I haven't seen one that doesn't change you onto default (i.e. extortionate) rates when you go over the quota.
 

Bavarian

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2014
Messages
17
why is it that TOCs are miles behind bus services when it comes to Wifi?

Wifi on trains and coaches, if it's supposed not to be completely useless, requires an excellent coverage with fast mobile data service (LTE). Unfortunately, the mobile network operators put their focus on covering the motorway network for a long time, while railway lines seemed to be their lowest priority...
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
And buses on top earning routes are replaced more often than trains are refurbished.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Thanks for all the input :D

I did look at Euro saver bundles but they're only valid on the day they're activated, only activated online (unless I want to pay roaming call rates), and to activate one in Germany I'd need wifi! :lol:

I'll try and pick up wifi in the stations then.

Hopefully the wifi on ICE services will be a little better than wifi on Virgin; ie only working in areas where you can get mobile coverage anyway! Quite odd to think that only 10-15 years ago people wouldn't have even considered this a problem.

Slightly off on a tangent, but other than a bus stop, is there anywhere I'll be able to look at local bus timetables in Stuttgart (like the printed booklet ones in the UK where you have a route map and detailed calling times of most individual stops) as I'd quite like to explore and there's only so much I can fit in my pockets on the plane... :)
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Only 3 weeks since I was there, so: the VVS has an info place at Koenigsstrasse 1a which is the Hbf end of the main shopping drag. I'd expect them to be able to help, though I can't see a reference on their website to a timetable book. It's only open business hours.

BTW unless you are staying right out in the suburbs, you will struggle to find a bus at all, as the Stadtbahn/U-Bahn covers almost everywhere (without wifi!). I used them out in Vaihingen though, and the 30 minute service till past midnight was impressive.

Whatever you do, have a ride on the Zackenbahn rack line up to Degerloch. And the Strassenbahnwelt in Bad Cannstadt is worth a look if you have time.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Slightly off on a tangent, but other than a bus stop, is there anywhere I'll be able to look at local bus timetables in Stuttgart (like the printed booklet ones in the UK where you have a route map and detailed calling times of most individual stops) as I'd quite like to explore and there's only so much I can fit in my pockets on the plane... :)

I can't speak for Stuttgart, but MVG in Munich does have a few offices (including in the Hauptbahnhof underground passage) where you can get hold of various printed materials. At every station by the ticket validators they have a pile of little magazines talking about changes and frequency improvements. Also, interesting little articles about how they run the network (one recently about how the buses work on a working timetable to '30 seconds' precision and the U-Bahn to '10 seconds).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I did look at Euro saver bundles but they're only valid on the day they're activated, only activated online (unless I want to pay roaming call rates), and to activate one in Germany I'd need wifi! :lo)

When I had a 3 UK phone they would often send a text message upon arrival with a link to activate and then another one when the bundle expired. I was never charged more than the £5. It's well worth it from my point of view if you get a full days use.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top