• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wi-Fi on XC Voyagers and HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

1e10

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2013
Messages
815
Has anyone used the Wi-Fi service available on XC Voyagers and HST services? They have the service advertised on their website and in the carriages onboard and I was interested in buying time for the service since 3G reception is terrible on most of the route I take.

The service has a 40MB hourly limit though, as this kind of usage is deemed 'excessive'. I am wondering if anyone know whether XC enforce this limit actively or whether it's there to cover their backs? 40MB isn't alot, streaming Radio 1 using the iPlayer app uses about 24MB an hour alone. Chuck web surfing in on an iPad with the usage and you're easily above 40MB.

So does anyone know or have any experience using the service?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
The service has a 40MB hourly limit though, as this kind of usage is deemed 'excessive'. I am wondering if anyone know whether XC enforce this limit actively or whether it's there to cover their backs? 40MB isn't alot, streaming Radio 1 using the iPlayer app uses about 24MB an hour alone.
Virgin's terms and conditions state that they do not permit "video or audio streaming, catch-up TV and other websites that place an excessive bandwidth demand on the system (such as BBC iPlayer or YouTube)".
 

bewildered

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
34
I've used it countless times for work and its ok for what I need it for. As has been mentioned there is a disclaimer on the front page for Crosscountry the same as Virgin. So no streaming etc (however the bandwidth speeds I dare say wouldn't be sufficient anyway).

I use it excessively to access my business email, web surfing and accessing the companies VPN etc. I can't say 40MB limits have ever been an issue and I certainly have nev been blocked.
 

hacman

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2011
Messages
503
Streaming is blocked on the service. You will be presented with a page stating this if you try to access sites that offer such services.

Use more than 40MB in an hour and your connection will be throttled, but you will remain connected. If just using the service for general browsing and mail, you're unlikely to hit this limit anyway.

Hope this helps.

Jon
 

1e10

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2013
Messages
815
Streaming is blocked on the service. You will be presented with a page stating this if you try to access sites that offer such services.

Use more than 40MB in an hour and your connection will be throttled, but you will remain connected. If just using the service for general browsing and mail, you're unlikely to hit this limit anyway.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Thank you & others in this thread for the information :D
 

rebmcr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
4,005
Location
St Neots
Streaming is blocked on the service. You will be presented with a page stating this if you try to access sites that offer such services.

The YouTube app works fine though, at least through Windows Phone & a 390.
 

hacman

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2011
Messages
503
390 as in Class 390?

If so it would - as the WiFi service on Virgin doesn't actively block such applications, but they are still prohibited.

The CrossCountry service on the other hand does actively block said services to enforce the Terms and Conditions.

Jon
 

1e10

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2013
Messages
815
Does anyone know whether FGW have Wi-Fi available between BRI and PNZ?
 

hacman

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2011
Messages
503
Their class 180s were getting WiFi installed in partnership with Icomera, however I'm not sure if this is operational yet.

Their HST fleet and other stock does not have WiFi however.

Jon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top