• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why would LNER seat allocations not be in operation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,461
Location
Yorkshire
I took LNER from Peterboro to Kings across today. Obediently booked my seat on the LNER app a couple of hours in advance. Of course there was someone in my seat when I got on.

Same when I booked a couple of hours in advance from Leeds to London last week.
Were the screens showing your reservation?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

when I travelled Newcastle to KGX for the league cup final I was booked into C. I was last minute and I couldn’t change my ticket on the lner website.
If this was an Advance, it may have been the last one at that price. Did you check the forum's site, to see if that would enable a change (and possibly beat LNER's price)?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,461
Location
Yorkshire
Unlucky then; it's quite rare in my experience. Reservations were showing on my train this morning, and someone was sat in my seat, but there were plenty of seats so I simply moved elsewhere.

Obviously if they'd not been shown I'd have no right to ask the person to move, but as they were shown, I could have done, but it makes no sense to do that when suitable alternatives are available.
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
We had a trip to York on Saturday and something very strange happened to the reservations on the return journey. I have all the evidence from App booking, RARS seating allocation for the service and photos of the specific seat reservation display say something quite different. One for the reservation team to look at this week.
 

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
We had a trip to York on Saturday and something very strange happened to the reservations on the return journey. I have all the evidence from App booking, RARS seating allocation for the service and photos of the specific seat reservation display say something quite different. One for the reservation team to look at this week.
If I've understood you correctly I had something similar on one of the MK4s up to Grantham a few weeks back. The reservations were all displayed completely incorrectly; some said available but had been booked, some showing as reserved from Peterborough but the train was not calling there, etc. Caused mayhem as it was a really busy service.
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
If I've understood you correctly I had something similar on one of the MK4s up to Grantham a few weeks back. The reservations were all displayed completely incorrectly; some said available but had been booked, some showing as reserved from Peterborough but the train was not calling there, etc. Caused mayhem as it was a really busy service.
This was different as all the other reservations in the coach were correct. Just the table that we had reserved was already reserved
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,313
My daughter is currently on an LNER train to London with her two young children, from Newcastle

She made the booking and selected the seats she wanted .. obviously all together and next to a table.

She gets on the train and is informed that no reservations are in effect
I wrote here a while ago about a return trip Kings Cross to Newcastle when the 800s were being introduced. Outwards, on an 800, absence of reservation displays was excused as "because it's a new train". Returning on their predecessor, a 225, no reservations were shown either, excused as "because it's an old train".
 

Aaron1

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2019
Messages
175
Location
GRIMSBY
Generally When I reserve my seat something like 30 mins before the departure time it is not showing on the screens so I just sit in a different seat or I just stand, not a problem for me, it helps that I am able to stand for long periods but obviously I appreciate that not everybody is able to.

On the rare occasions it is showing and if somebody is sat in my seat but there are other seats available i just sit elsewhere, if there are not seats available I make a decision on the spot based on the passenger, once before I've had an elderly lady with a walking stick sat there, I didn't fancy forcing her to stand up so I decided to stand, once before I've had a little lad no more than 3 or 4 fast asleep sat next to his dad, I don't fancy waking him up to kick them out of the seat.
 

jkkne

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2012
Messages
432
The most frustrating part of LNER (and others but LNER passengers are the worst for it) is seats reserved online but absolutely nobody turning up. I travelled in Coach L on Monday - showed fully reserved - there were 3 of us in the whole carriage
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
The most frustrating part of LNER (and others but LNER passengers are the worst for it) is seats reserved online but absolutely nobody turning up. I travelled in Coach L on Monday - showed fully reserved - there were 3 of us in the whole carriage

I can attest to that. Brought a unit back north that had no reservations left and was expected to be busy, no first class upgrades etc due to amount of tickets sold. Very few turned up, probably 1/3 capacity.
 

kacper

Member
Joined
27 May 2022
Messages
312
Location
London
I had a unit swap on LNER once, which resulted in there being a different amount of coaches. The workers told us to sit in any seat but the reservations still showed up, although they were switched off shortly before departure
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top