Prodigy
Member
- Joined
- 30 May 2011
- Messages
- 232
Okay, I'm sure some of you remember my rant about the Huddersfield - Manchester line a while back. Well after beginning to commute myself a lot of my opinions on this service have changed and now I have more a less nothing but praise for it; it's rarely late, guards more a less always check for tickets and the seating on the trains is of a good enough standard for a service that is mainly used for commuting. However, there is still one thing that doesn't necessarily annoy me but confuses me... as I'm sure a lot of you are aware Mossley Station's platform 1 is currently undergoing a an extension to properly allow for 4 carriages on the platform. At the moment only a set of 4 142 pacer coaches manage to fit on the platform and even then some of the front coach is on an unsafe narrow area of the platform. And usually in the morning Northern uses a combination of 2x 142 pacers and 2x 156 sprinters to optimize room on the service which I give them credit for as it is a good idea. However due to the length of the Sprinters only one of the coaches manages to get fully on the platform whilst the other one usually has one door on the platform....
Because of this issue the guards won't open the back Sprinter coach (meaning we can only get on the front one, or the pacers of course), which I find extremely stupid. One of it's doors is fully on the platform so I don't see the problem in just opening it up and letting passengers walk down the carriage? Apparently it's due to a health and safety issue but I say that's trollops because of lot of the guards just open the door between the coaches about 3 minutes after the train has set off to Stalybridge. Besides both Sprinters were FULLY on the platform today and yet still the guard refused to open the back one. To make matters worse the guard didn't open the door into the back sprinter coach until the train had stopped at Stalybridge, and I'm not being funny but why should people who get on the train at a later stop at a station where they have more options into Manchester get priority over people who got on at an earlier stop which only has one option into Manchester?
So yeah I just wanna ask why they won't open the back sprinter even if one of the doors is on the platform? I'm not trying to bash Northern here I'm just curious as to why they don't, even though I was angry that they didn't open the back one when both doors were on the platform. But yeah, just a question, please don't bash me because like I said I am happy with Northern's service on this line at the moment just the door issue has always baffled me. If someone doesn't understand what I mean by one of the doors of the back coach sprinter being on the platform but not being properly opened please just let me know and I will give a diagram explaining.
Because of this issue the guards won't open the back Sprinter coach (meaning we can only get on the front one, or the pacers of course), which I find extremely stupid. One of it's doors is fully on the platform so I don't see the problem in just opening it up and letting passengers walk down the carriage? Apparently it's due to a health and safety issue but I say that's trollops because of lot of the guards just open the door between the coaches about 3 minutes after the train has set off to Stalybridge. Besides both Sprinters were FULLY on the platform today and yet still the guard refused to open the back one. To make matters worse the guard didn't open the door into the back sprinter coach until the train had stopped at Stalybridge, and I'm not being funny but why should people who get on the train at a later stop at a station where they have more options into Manchester get priority over people who got on at an earlier stop which only has one option into Manchester?
So yeah I just wanna ask why they won't open the back sprinter even if one of the doors is on the platform? I'm not trying to bash Northern here I'm just curious as to why they don't, even though I was angry that they didn't open the back one when both doors were on the platform. But yeah, just a question, please don't bash me because like I said I am happy with Northern's service on this line at the moment just the door issue has always baffled me. If someone doesn't understand what I mean by one of the doors of the back coach sprinter being on the platform but not being properly opened please just let me know and I will give a diagram explaining.