• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why should I trust rail travel?

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,923
Location
Gwynedd
It's very frustrating, isn't it?

I advocate for public transport a lot.

But then I get friends and family coming back to me with bad news about their journeys. Sometimes it's a significant delay. Sometimes it's a wheelchair user being left on the train. Sometimes it's finding out their ticket isn't valid for their journey because the fares system is a bit ridiculous.

And I still try and say well that's unfortunate but it's not the usual operation. The fact is though, it's also not uncommon. And if it's not uncommon, people's confidence in rail travel will continue to reduce.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
It's very frustrating, isn't it?

I advocate for public transport a lot.

But then I get friends and family coming back to me with bad news about their journeys.

It's true. I do sometimes get caught up in problems, but given the amount of time I spend on trains it's to be expected.

Friends and family who are occasional travellers seem to get it worse.
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,357
This is an inaccurate representation of what actually happened. In particular, by focusing on Virgin West Coast, you miss the fact that the key decisions were taken by DfT who used their authority to block WSMR. The possible exception (I've heard various views) is the Virgin extension to Wrexham.
I reiterate, its the TOCs AND the system that need to change.
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,529
I reiterate, its the TOCs AND the system that need to change.
Given my experiences of TOCs, I'd suggest that nothing will change while DfT remain in their position
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,357
This thread has already exposed many shortcomings of railway operations in the UK, and since the main flurry of comments, we now hear that Avanti are to be nationalised in March 2027, with XC to follow a few months later.

At this point it would be interesting to hear a few thoughts about whether or not things might improve when this happens.

I well remember the days before privatisation in the 1990s, when (as an example) there was little to fear if your train was delayed late in the day, because you could be confident that if this made you miss a connection, then alternative transport would be provided for you.

In the years since then, this responsibility seems to have all but disappeared, the emphasis of rail companies today seems to be on how to find reasons not to help, rather than actually providing help. Is this an unfair comment?

So perhaps re-nationalisation might help to reinstate some reasons to have more confidence in rail travel. Some thoughts on this would be interesting ...
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,529
This thread has already exposed many shortcomings of railway operations in the UK, and since the main flurry of comments, we now hear that Avanti are to be nationalised in March 2027, with XC to follow a few months later.

At this point it would be interesting to hear a few thoughts about whether or not things might improve when this happens.

I well remember the days before privatisation in the 1990s, when (as an example) there was little to fear if your train was delayed late in the day, because you could be confident that if this made you miss a connection, then alternative transport would be provided for you.

In the years since then, this responsibility seems to have all but disappeared, the emphasis of rail companies today seems to be on how to find reasons not to help, rather than actually providing help. Is this an unfair comment?

So perhaps re-nationalisation might help to reinstate some reasons to have more confidence in rail travel. Some thoughts on this would be interesting ...
My memories of that era are that assistance was also pot luck, and some things we take as read for being rights now were very much discretionary at the time. As for nationalisation, my hopes are low because most of the worst flaws in the current system can be put at the hands of the same government department that will be taking control. Leopards don't change their spots, and stunned outrage at the failure of DfT to do better will be in the category of "shocked that leopards eat my face".
 

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,901
Location
Newport
we now hear that Avanti are to be nationalised in March 2027, with XC to follow a few months later.

At this point it would be interesting to hear a few thoughts about whether or not things might improve when this happens.
It’s the triumph of hope over experience to expect that TOCs micromanaged indirectly by the DfT since covid, will improve magically when micromanaged directly by DfT.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,776
At this point it would be interesting to hear a few thoughts about whether or not things might improve when this happens.
There's little scope for improvement or change until GBR is brought into being and allowed to operate without the dead hand of the DfT in place.
 

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,901
Location
Newport
There's little scope for improvement or change until GBR is brought into being and allowed to operate without the dead hand of the DfT in place.
The same DfT that’s currently writing GBR’s rolling stock strategy and GBR’s infrastructure strategy and presumably has a straightjacket ready for whichever poor s-d accepts the poisoned chalice of being GBR’s chair.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,547
Location
Lichfield
In the years since then, this responsibility seems to have all but disappeared, the emphasis of rail companies today seems to be on how to find reasons not to help, rather than actually providing help. Is this an unfair comment?

Following an incident at Euston over the summer, where a lineside fire caused chaos resulting in the last train of the night home for me being cancelled, I'd agree with this point.

The few staff that were visible had no clue and just passed me on to someone else and communication and information was non existent, in the end I gave up with them and got on the next train that stopped within 30 miles of where I was trying to get to...

I've always had faith in the railway getting me home when things go wrong, this certainly knocked my confidence.
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,357
There's little scope for improvement or change until GBR is brought into being and allowed to operate without the dead hand of the DfT in place.
Sadly I have to agree.

And yet I strongly suspect that many of those at DfT have little or no first hand experience of cancellations, followed by then having to stand like sardines in hot corridors with failed aircon while the delays increase yet further.

I've always maintained that people in positions of power have no right to make far-reaching decisions when they have little or no first hand experience of what they're presiding over.

But what alternative do we have? Is there any way that our railways can be run without the demonstrably incompetent involvement of DfT?
 

JamesT

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Messages
4,901
Sadly I have to agree.

And yet I strongly suspect that many of those at DfT have little or no first hand experience of cancellations, followed by then having to stand like sardines in hot corridors with failed aircon while the delays increase yet further.

I've always maintained that people in positions of power have no right to make far-reaching decisions when they have little or no first hand experience of what they're presiding over.

But what alternative do we have? Is there any way that our railways can be run without the demonstrably incompetent involvement of DfT?
Full privatisation. Whilst public money is going into the railways, government will be involved in decision making.
 

Tetragon213

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2024
Messages
699
Location
West Midlands
Full privatisation. Whilst public money is going into the railways, government will be involved in decision making.
That brings about its own issues. I don't exactly see private companies being keen on keeping loss-making lines, and I have minimal faith in them doing anything other than going full Serpell Option A to maximise their own profits.
1790674056362.png
Serpell Report Option A route map; I suspect this would have been corrupt Mr Marples' fantasy
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,529
Full privatisation. Whilst public money is going into the railways, government will be involved in decision making.
Government were involved in the 19th century, intervening in economic decisions (and not just to prevent monopolistic behaviour).
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,970
Location
Northampton
there was a great deal of Ministry (at is was then) involvement in BR in the 1980s to my certain knowledge. For instance, the disposition of the HST fleet - the Ministry thought that the WR ones were used on services not well suited and would be better employed on other Regions. .
 

MartinC

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2025
Messages
70
Location
Hythe Hants
I will confess that I have not read through all 9 pages of this thread so my following comment might already have been addressed. Quite a few of the posts refer to having to move luggage and the, sometimes, inadequate provision of luggage space. There are several "luggage in advance" services available and I have found this an excellent way of reducing travel stress.
 

Top