• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why no vending machines selling water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2010
Messages
573
They make a big deal about taking bottles of water with you on the tube which is, of course, very sensible.

So why aren't there any vending machines on the platforms selling bottles of water? There used to be Cadbury machines at one point I seem to remember.

Rip off mind
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
Those selecta machines regularly mess up, dither due not being loaded properly or various vandalism/theft attempts. And if (sorry, when) you lose your money, you have to leave a message on an answer phone and despite giving your details, will probably get nothing.

I've reported three incidents and never received a penny. Only once did I get anything and that was years ago.

To be honest, I don't know why I ever wait a while and then try again thinking the machines will work.

The only ones I'll use are the better ones at places like Westfield that also take contact less cards. They seem to work all the time, and I expect I wouldn't get charged if it didn't dispense my item.

Better off buying a bottle from a shop with a real person before travelling, thus keeping said shops in business too.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I did get a refund cheque from Selecta when one of its machines at uni ate £2 and I was also given some money towards my expenses claiming for the refund. That said I did doubt afterwards whether it was worth spending all that time chasing them up on the phone. Luckily I used my office phone rather than my mobile for a 0845 number (before the days of saynoto0870).
 

Tubeboy

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
487
Location
London
The tube phased out chocolate machines in 2007/8, due to a couple of fires and the then current MD Tim O Toole wanting to reduce 'platform clutter'.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
The tube phased out chocolate machines in 2007/8, due to a couple of fires and the then current MD Tim O Toole wanting to reduce 'platform clutter'.

They still have them on the Overground, though - for example, at the top of the escalators at Rotherhithe. So it can't be a general TfL-branded-transport-wide policy.

(Yes, I know LU & LO are separate entities entirely.)
 

Antman

Established Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
6,840
I've heard people saying that tube staff have been giving people free bottles of water if passengers need it. Personally I always carry a bottle in the hot weather anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top