• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why no tickets available Preston-London late March?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,745
I'm needing a one-way ticket from Preston to London on the afternoon Sunday 29th March, and on looking at the Avanti site they all seem sold out?

Screenshot-2026-02-06-183157.jpg


Is this a website error? (if I click earlier or later times, it still says the same). I was expecting to find many advances available considering I'm flexible that day, let alone at least some tickets, but for everything to be 'sold out' seems impossible, and the booking window is open until late April according to National Rail?

I know there are some indirect options, but I really would prefer direct if possible (as I then need to go from London to Basingstoke, which I'm doing as I want to avoid Cross Country).

Thanks in advance for any info... espeicially if I'm missing something obvious :D
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarrotPie

On Moderation
Joined
18 Mar 2021
Messages
1,128
Location
‎
I don't know why, but I can report that there are WTT schedules for those trains on that day (example) and the tickets are displayed on the National Rail website (see below). However, when I try to purchase them, it insists on transferring me (which doesn't work very well) to AWC's website, which then tells me that "those fares aren't available".

1770403275675.png
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
LNER seems happy to sell them.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-02-06 at 21.25.08.png
    Screenshot 2026-02-06 at 21.25.08.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 30

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,623
Location
Warks
These trains are being marked as IsTrainClosed: true (and yet IsSoldOutService: false) in the Pico for UK API response.

I have genuinely no idea what a train being "closed" is supposed to mean, or what data source is being used to determine that - but I think that's what's causing it to show up like this. I've looked for engineering work sales suppressions and I can't find anything notable. If I had to speculate, I'd guess that Avanti have some controls (for their own retail channels only?) that allow setting trains to not be retailable.

These services are reservable in the industry's reservation system, RARS, for ticket type SVS (Off-Peak S).

tl;dr No idea wtf they're doing.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,027
The ECML is closed between York and Newcastle that weekend, so maybe the reservations are assuming a large increase in passengers to/from Carlisle and Scotland on those dates?
 

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,745
Ok this all seems rather odd. Shall I just bite the bullet and book a cheap indirect route rather than risk waiting and missing out on Avanti's advances?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

LNER seems happy to sell them.

Oh sorry, I somehow missed this last night - I'll look at their site then.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top