• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why no fast ticket machines at Heathrow Airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshpax

Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
83
Yesterday wanted to book some tickets from Heathrow to Cardiff via Heathrow Express.

Went on to the FGW website and got all the way through the booking process until it asked me where I wanted to pick up the tickets, scrolling down the list, there were none available at the airport, I therefore had to go back and book and collect the ticket from Paddington and buy a separate ticket for HEX.

I am sure that many tourists come into the country and try and book rail tickets would be confused that they could not collect them at the airport.

Am I being silly, or is there another way to collect them at Heathrow?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
From National Rail:

T123 & 4 & 5

Ticket machines can only issue tickets, including collection of pre-purchased tickets for journeys on Heathrow Express or Connect services ONLY.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
The TVMs won't even issue discounted tickets, which can only be done at the ticket office. Even though all tickets are checked, so anyone getting a discounted ticket without the relevant card could be sold another ticket at full price with the on-board surcharge.

I think HEX and SET should team up to find other ways to rip off punters!

I wonder if on-board staff can sell tickets to other destinations from their machines. Of course, they wouldn't do it, just as they won't sell discounted tickets (even if they then add on the pay-on-train surcharge after). No, far better to maintain the high prices wherever possible.

Sorry for that rant, I feel better now.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
As I understand it, HEX is not part of ATOC, so are not bound by the same obligations as other TOCs. The airport link bus at Edinburgh doesn't sell through rail tickets, neither does HEX (ok, it's not quite that extreme).
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Indeed. Once you leave the GWML at the junction, you're no longer on the Network Rail national rail network, you're on BAA's private railway.

Of course, it would seem to me that it would passenger-friendly for BAA to come to an agreement with ATOC to allow full-service TVMs.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
There was a time that you couldn't even get a network railcard discount on HEX at all (I think senior and/or disabled were always available though) so we should probably consider ourselves lucky!
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I wonder if on-board staff can sell tickets to other destinations from their machines. Of course, they wouldn't do it, just as they won't sell discounted tickets (even if they then add on the pay-on-train surcharge after). No, far better to maintain the high prices wherever possible.

Probably not, because they don't issue onto RSP stock, just crappy thermal paper.

I do wonder whether HEX staff will sell railcard fares on board when the booking office is shut (or overcrowded).
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
No they won't. I've come back late at night more than once, and while the office may have been still been open, but there was nobody at the desk.

The first time I asked to buy on the train, with the discount, which was refused - so I had to pay the full price, with the surcharge.

The second time, I bought a full price ticket from the machine and asked onboard to have the ticket cancelled and a new one issued. Obviously (I knew it was silly to ask) they refused that too and said you could only get a discount from the staffed desk. She didn't care on the train whether there was someone there or not.

I'd recommend that you buy your ticket in advance for HEX (getting an anytime return if you can so you don't need to worry when you get back to the airport in a rush to make the last train). That, or use Heathrow Connect and save a packet for the sake of around 15-30 minutes, depending on the time of the next service).
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,441
No they won't. I've come back late at night more than once, and while the office may have been still been open, but there was nobody at the desk.

The first time I asked to buy on the train, with the discount, which was refused - so I had to pay the full price, with the surcharge.

The second time, I bought a full price ticket from the machine and asked onboard to have the ticket cancelled and a new one issued. Obviously (I knew it was silly to ask) they refused that too and said you could only get a discount from the staffed desk. She didn't care on the train whether there was someone there or not.

I'd recommend that you buy your ticket in advance for HEX (getting an anytime return if you can so you don't need to worry when you get back to the airport in a rush to make the last train). That, or use Heathrow Connect and save a packet for the sake of around 15-30 minutes, depending on the time of the next service).

In such situations complain to HEX. I have done so on a couple of occassions, they seemed to take it seriously enough (though not sure if anything actually changed) and was sent complementary first class tickets valid for a year......
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I'd recommend that you buy your ticket in advance for HEX (getting an anytime return if you can so you don't need to worry when you get back to the airport in a rush to make the last train). That, or use Heathrow Connect and save a packet for the sake of around 15-30 minutes, depending on the time of the next service).

I'd recommend I use the Piccadilly line. :)
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
To be honest, the stop-start nature (and the slowness) has put me off that option, even though with my season ticket it is totally free! It even gets me to King's Cross in one go, but I still prefer going via Paddington!

Although not a reason for not using the line, an early return from Heathrow (around 6-7am arrival from US) some time ago put me on the only tube train I've been on that had a one under. Not really much of a big deal for the passengers (well, besides the delay - when I really did want to get home to bed), but awful for the driver.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Fortunately I have little reason to use Heathrow Express, and take the coach from Reading. From what I have read on here all I have missed ou ton is appalling service nad ridiculously high fares. I will make sure I never use it now!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
The fares are crazy, although first class is even more crazy - sheer lunacy given the short time you're on it. Still, it's there for those who will pay.

The trains are nice though, and it's smooth and comfortable. It is also quick, which is perhaps what matters most. One of the few services that can legitimately claim the use of the word 'express'.
 
Last edited:

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
It is also quick, which is perhaps what matters most. One of the few services that can legitimately claim the use of the word 'express'.

It's very quick if your final destination in central London is at or near Paddington, otherwise it's debatable...
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
I can step off, up the stairs and (hopefully) on a H&C/Circle Line train to King's Cross and that is a lot quicker than taking the tube from Heathrow.

Works for me. I pay a premium for it.

Sometimes I'll take Heathrow Connect - which may be closer to the speed of the tube if you miss one, but is still a nicer environment in my opinion. When we get the S7 trains, it will be nicely air conditioned all the way too (not so important now, mind).

I am not sure why I feel the need to justify my decision though! I do agree that coming into Paddington isn't the best station though. However, it's not that hard to continue on from there.
 

Dave A

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
1,161
No they won't. I've come back late at night more than once, and while the office may have been still been open, but there was nobody at the desk.

The first time I asked to buy on the train, with the discount, which was refused - so I had to pay the full price, with the surcharge.

The second time, I bought a full price ticket from the machine and asked onboard to have the ticket cancelled and a new one issued. Obviously (I knew it was silly to ask) they refused that too and said you could only get a discount from the staffed desk. She didn't care on the train whether there was someone there or not.

I'd recommend that you buy your ticket in advance for HEX (getting an anytime return if you can so you don't need to worry when you get back to the airport in a rush to make the last train). That, or use Heathrow Connect and save a packet for the sake of around 15-30 minutes, depending on the time of the next service).

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'd thought I'd give you a bit of a view from the other side as an ex HEx employee.

Firstly, it is clearly stated in the Conditions Of Carriage that discounted tickets must be purchased before boarding the train, so the lady was well within her right to refuse. However, most used to allow this once or twice (obviously depending on the attitude of the customer). Sadly, times changed and the company did not wish us to use initiative... :roll:

With regards to not being able to pick up tickets at Heathrow for any NR destination; There used to be a machine at the Bus Station in Heathrow Central, however they removed this for some reason.

The machines HEx have ARE capable of issuing tickets to all over the country, but don't have the software to do so. They have their ticketing system on it (HEx, HEc + LU/Thames Valley Destination Tickets), and the ones at T5 have the additional ability to do Underground tickets and some destinations in the South East England area. However, if you want to use your Railcard or a season ticket, forget about it! There are no prices entered in the system for the discounts...

What's the reason for all this? ATOC. Quite simply, ATOC do NOT allow HEx to use their ticketing systems unless they pay a substantial amount of £££. It just wouldn't be worth it. HEx have tried negotiating with FGW & SWT to get some destinations added, so they "help each other out", but again it all comes down to £££.

BAA/HEx/FGW/NR/ATOC don't have a good relationship with each other, and this is unlikely to change any time soon. Even with CrossRail round the corner, I very much doubt this will change unless TfL are willing to cough up the £££... :|
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
Thanks for this - it's interesting to see that not all the blame should be put on BAA, who I always assumed was just trying to protect its own interests.

Some, but not all. :)
 

Dave A

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
1,161
Thanks for this - it's interesting to see that not all the blame should be put on BAA, who I always assumed was just trying to protect its own interests.

Some, but not all. :)

Oh I'd say very much most, as even HEx have trouble getting what they want sometimes (even though they're owned by BAA)... ;)

Sorry for going into pedant mode, but therefore they are NOT capable - a TVM is just hardware - it's the software that makes it useful.

:lol: You're probably right Craig, but when I started about 4 years ago, the TVM's in place weren't capable of anything more than HEx/HEc tickets, so I see is as if the machines have the option to put the software on there, they're capable. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top