a_c_skinner
Established Member
- Joined
- 21 Jun 2013
- Messages
- 1,700
With apologies if this has been done to death before.
This isn't a stupid "disgusted of Kendal" question. Yesterday I was on a Transpennine Scotland to Manchester Airport in the mid morning. 4 vehicles. 350. Like a lot of these trains it was very full and standing. All the stops it made could accommodate more length. Rail roving I saw a lot of TPE services, all very full. Actually a lot of the Northern trains I took were well loaded too at peak times, only a late night Pendolino was moving a lot of empty seats.
Am I right that the DfT has the final vote on how much rolling stock is in use? Didn't TPE want 4 car 185s is is that an urban myth? For TPE it isn't that trains are full at peak times and empty at others. It is pretty clear to me that a lot of the time passenger numbers are limited by capacity. Are the economics so complex to make more rolling stock unaffordable or do the projections not include an assumption that more seats will mean more passengers.
I know some parts of the UK have platform length limited and track capacity full but that isn't the case in a lot of places. Is it time for a "save the Pacers" campaign? I'd sooner sit on a Pacer than stand on a 185 (yes I know they are slower and so use more track capacity...)
Perhaps this is a stupid question.
This isn't a stupid "disgusted of Kendal" question. Yesterday I was on a Transpennine Scotland to Manchester Airport in the mid morning. 4 vehicles. 350. Like a lot of these trains it was very full and standing. All the stops it made could accommodate more length. Rail roving I saw a lot of TPE services, all very full. Actually a lot of the Northern trains I took were well loaded too at peak times, only a late night Pendolino was moving a lot of empty seats.
Am I right that the DfT has the final vote on how much rolling stock is in use? Didn't TPE want 4 car 185s is is that an urban myth? For TPE it isn't that trains are full at peak times and empty at others. It is pretty clear to me that a lot of the time passenger numbers are limited by capacity. Are the economics so complex to make more rolling stock unaffordable or do the projections not include an assumption that more seats will mean more passengers.
I know some parts of the UK have platform length limited and track capacity full but that isn't the case in a lot of places. Is it time for a "save the Pacers" campaign? I'd sooner sit on a Pacer than stand on a 185 (yes I know they are slower and so use more track capacity...)
Perhaps this is a stupid question.