• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is Prittlewell station closed on Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geswedey

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2016
Messages
111
I have been asked why PRL is closed on Sundays, I thought there was a clause when the line was built insisted upon by the landowner that the station stay closed on Sundays but that could just be an urban myth.

It does open occasionally when SUFC are at home on a Sunday.

thanks in advance

Glyn
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,783
It was open on Sundays in 1963 although overnight services didn't stop. My only later timetable is 1983 and it was closed on Sundays then.

I would guess that this was an economy measure in the later 60s or 70s which has now been cast in stone by the franchise terms
 

Geswedey

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2016
Messages
111
Thanks

i know other stations had Sunday Clauses in their original Bills, I have got a couple of 50's Bradshaws where I am at the moment, will check them.
 

Geswedey

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2016
Messages
111
PRL was open on Sundays in the fifties as well so assume that closure was an economy matter as you say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top