• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is my Shipley to Leeds train always overtaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
For family reasons I am often at Shipley shortly after 8am and have been jumping on the fancy new 331 at 8013 from platform 1. However every day we sit outside Leeds and get to watch and listen to the slower 158 from Carlisle that leaves Shipley 5 minutes later go past and it even gets a better platform.

I think on Monday even the Lancaster train 15 minutes later got in before us.

Why does this train run? Is there any point in me getting on it or do I just let it go and get the one after? I know the platform 3 trains with stops are slower, but they don't get overtaken, why does this one?


Aaron
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WTT Gremlin

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2025
Messages
139
Location
Northampton
For family reasons I am often at Shipley shortly after 8am and have been jumping on the fancy new 331 at 8013 from platform 1. However every day we sit outside Leeds and get to watch and listen to the slower 158 from Carlisle that leaves Shipley 5 minutes later go past and it even gets a better platform.

I think on Monday even the Lancaster train 15 minutes later got in before us.

Why does this train run? Is there any point in me getting on it or do I just let it go and get the one after? I know the platform 3 trains with stops are slower, but they don't get overtaken, why does this one?
The ex Carlisle overtaking is due to 2H21 ex Skipton (Shipley 0813) having 5.5 minutes pathing between Armley Jn (where the Harrogate line joins and makes a 4-track formation) and Leeds, which 2H81 from Carlisle does not.

The main reason for this time is to be pathed into a through platform as the stock then goes off to Neville Hill. Whereas the the 158 crosses at Armley Jn and runs into the terminating platforms before a re-platforming shunt and split to form a Leeds-Morecambe and Leeds-Carlisle.

Unless the 5 minute later departure from Shipley is of material value to you then functionally they are no different except for the rolling stock.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,904
Advances always seem to be cheaper on the ex-Carlisle service.

This suits me, as I get an extra 5 minutes in bed and don't have to cross the footbridge on arrival into Leeds.

Is this the first time one Airedale service has been timetabled to overtake another?

Worth noting that some mornings the 331 does get into Leeds first.
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
The first train is delayed this morning by about 4 minutes. Slightly holding up the later one. Could go either way today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top