• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is it so hard to get a trainee train driving job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSM17

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
8
Location
Worthing
I've been trying for the last 5 years to become a trainee train driver and everytime I get rejected or get told that I'm not what they are looking for. I just don't get it and what gets me is that I can't recieve any feed back and I can't go and pay for a course or a get a licence off my own back. Can someone help me out here or give me some insight why? I dont want to start going down that route of, is it because I'm not a women? Or my ethnic background? Ive got friends and family in the railway and they've helped me out all they can and now it's getting to the point even they can't give me a answer why.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InkyScrolls

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
1,463
Location
North of England
I'm sorry to hear that - I've been where you are before and it's annoying! How far through the process have you previously reached? I doubt being a white man (my assumption based on your post) would have any bearing; the initial stages are done 'blind' so there's no way for the people (or algorithm!) making the decision to know your race, gender etc. until you're already quite far through the process. Occasionally rail companies make attempts to increase the diversity of their drivers but that's only through targeted advertising - anything more direct would be illegal under UK law (as I understand it!).
 

LSM17

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
8
Location
Worthing
I've gotten as far as the application online assessment. I've even had the privilege to go through the application with two different people who work as mainline drivers for Southernrail and ThamesLink. Still haven't gotten anywhere. My background is engineering and have applied for a engineering role within the railway and mangage to get a face to face interview. My career goal is to become a driver if that's for mainline or freight.
I was just hoping someone could maybe give me a reason why I'm not getting anywhere because like I said 5 years of this now!
I'm sorry to hear that - I've been where you are before and it's annoying! How far through the process have you. previously reached? I doubt being a white man (my assumption based on your post) would have any bearing; the initial stages are done 'blind' so there's no way for the people (or algorithm!) making the decision to know your race, gender etc. until you're already quite far through the process. Occasionally rail companies make attempts to increase the diversity of their drivers but that's only through targeted advertising - anything more direct would be illegal under UK law (as I understand it!).
 

anglian96

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2018
Messages
204
So many people apply for the role and the odds are very slim. You need to be persistent and keep going for the vacancies. I know people who have waited from 1-10 years before getting anywhere or apply first time and get it.

You could always try a different role first within the industry and then go for a trainee position internally
 

Gemz91

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2013
Messages
735
Location
Garden Shed
Could just be luck. I’m never convinced that they read through all the applications given the number they receive, even if they use some sort of computer program to sift out applications not suitable, I’m not sure even then there would be enough hours in the day to read through the remaining applications and invite them to assessment days/interviews. Given the high number of applications they receive, they can turn down plenty of strong applicants and still get the ‘one’ applicant that they want.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,673
Took me eight years from my first application to getting an offer. Hundreds of applicants for each position .
 

ndjefc82

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2023
Messages
28
Location
Merseyside
1 in 4000 chance of making it Street to Seat

Don't be so hard on yourself, everyone is in the same boat.

With regards to the feedback, I am aware of an incident whereby a candidate applying for a TOC I have worked for didn't receive feedback despite repeated requests, and they resorted to writing personally to the Managing Director to ask for it.

They essentially forced the TOCs hand for feedback, and in doing so, they highlighted how poor the process was and it subsequently changed.

Be tenacious is my advice
 

800301

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
542
Location
Essex
When I applied and got my course, I was the only external employee in that group, I still have no idea how I was the one chosen to get the job but I had been applying for around 4 years until I got the phone call, just keep trying, that’s all you can do, as frustrating as it is, if you don’t apply you’ll never have the chance of finding out, I’ve also submitted identical applications to 2 different TOC’s and had different outcomes so I couldn’t even tell you what they are looking for
 

AverageJoe

On Moderation
Joined
23 Dec 2021
Messages
674
Location
United Kingdom
I think it must be a lottery when it comes to that initial application.

I know people who have passed psychometrics to an enhanced standard and are sat in talent pools, they then apply to another toc and then get a rejection.

I was fortunate enough to be in training 6 months after my first ever application but I defo didn’t do anything special, just got lucky.

Just keep rolling that dice and applying.
 

LSM17

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2024
Messages
8
Location
Worthing
Thank you to everyone who has put a minute or so aside to reply to this thread, I've taken everything into consideration and just got to keep trying every six months or so.
 

itznonbine

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
45
@LSM17 My recommendation is to join a TOC, for a year under a different role, after a year, a lot of TOCs will allow you to apply for other roles in the company, being internal does help some chances from what I've heard.
 

LJG0589

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2024
Messages
12
Location
Essex
I tried for 3 years with 3 different operators as I wanted too move on from the bus controller industry.
1 withdrew my applications due too me living in the wrong area even though I met mileage & commute restrictions (Dartford crossing getting in the way)
1 I got as far as driver manager interview but no further not sure why.
3rd one I was successful even though it’s further away than the other 2.
Don’t give up, keep trying.
I was planning on making my final application my last as I was tired of keep trying but unexpected too my I was successful all the way through
 

Ducatist4

On Moderation
Joined
29 Apr 2019
Messages
988
Location
Mansfield
They wont give you feed back at such an early stage in the process. The initial sift is likely done by computer as they get so many applications is not efficient to try and do them by hand. Make sure your application includes as many of the key words that they used in the job description as possible. Also make sure that you live within their travel distance limitations from the depot you are applying for.
 

nolypops83

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2023
Messages
332
Location
Manchester
I've been trying for the last 5 years to become a trainee train driver and everytime I get rejected or get told that I'm not what they are looking for. I just don't get it and what gets me is that I can't recieve any feed back and I can't go and pay for a course or a get a licence off my own back. Can someone help me out here or give me some insight why? I dont want to start going down that route of, is it because I'm not a women? Or my ethnic background? Ive got friends and family in the railway and they've helped me out all they can and now it's getting to the point even they can't give me a answer why.
I'm a woman and I'm in the same situation, only I've been applying for less than 2 years, and my sex has definitely not made it any easier for me I can assure you! The initial sift is blind so they don't know anything about you, they just go off your answers to the questions. I have a mate who is a a Driver Manager and he doesn't know what goes on during that stage. I posted a similar comment last week as I was frustrated with the whole thing and felt like I was wasting my time but it seems pretty normal for people to have to apply multiple times. I got lucky on my first try and made it to the psychometrics and I'm absolutely kicking myself for failing one. The bloke sitting the tests with me was an internal candidate, and a lovely guy, but he really struggled and didn't make it past the paper ones. I assumed it would be fine as I'd made it once I can do it again. Nope! :lol:
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
There are any number of reasons; these jobs are very very competitive. Nobody here is going to know exactly why. You may want to consider the other routes people have taken before becoming a train driver. Bringing gender/race/sex into it is not going to be constructive.

This thread could go round and round in circles so I would direct people to the "A career as a train driver" thread which has pages and pages of advice.

Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top